Goal: $300, Received: $160.00 (53%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Cant regulate 341-020 Hermle

Hello first post in the forums. I have a schoolhouse wall clock with a 341-020 Hermle movement that I cant seem to regulate the time from week to week between winding. I have fully disassembled, cleaned, re-oiled, and checked all pivots for wear. Everything appears to be in great condition. This problem existed prior to servicing, and was the main reason for the full tear down. It is my clock so I don't have a deadline to meet or anything. Suspension spring isn't mangled, leader and pendulum have no slack, but one week it will be off 5 minutes fast so ill turn the rating nut slightly to lower the bob and the next week its 15 minutes slow. Has a nice healthy beat always, no skips or ordinary sounds. Hands are free from obstructions. What else can I check? Open to suggestions.

Default Re: Cant regulate 341-020 Hermle (By: Silverball84)

Welcome. I'm a newbie myself. Do you have pictures? That usually helps.

Default Re: Cant regulate 341-020 Hermle (By: Clockrepairforfun)

What pictures would you like? I'm not sure what pictures would help with this but I'll post whatever you want to see.

This clock is capable of keeping a rate of + or - one minute in 7 days. The problem may be in the rating assembly itself. Make sure the bob is actually setting on the rating nut and not binding on the shaft or stick. Also, it's best to set the rate by lowering the pendulum until the clock is losing time and then raise the pendulum 1/4 turn per week until your close.
    Check the hands to see that each hand has some end-shake, with space around the shaft at the dial hole.
    Any binding at the crutch eye or pin can cause rating irregularities. Did you remove the mainspring for servce, a stickey MS can cause rating troubles. Others will give you more ideas.
    Willie X

Registered user.

Default Re: Cant regulate 341-020 Hermle

Silverball, I had a Hermle 1051 that gave me exactly the same problem. I tore the movement apart 3 times and <almost> started drinking before I figured out what the problem was. During the 3rd teardown I noticed that there was absolutely no chamfer on the inside of the back plate pivot hole for the hand shaft. Took a countersink and put about a .030 chamfer on the pivot hole. Reassembled and it has kept perfect time ever since. There was a very small radius on the hand shaft pivot and every time I would reset the time by moving the hands, it would move the radius closer or further away from the back plate, thereby increasing or decreasing friction.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by dad1891; 03-20-2017 at 11:49 PM.
    Dave Diel

Default Re: Cant regulate 341-020 Hermle (By: Willie X)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie X View Post
    Make sure the bob is actually setting on the rating nut and not binding on the shaft or stick.
    Willie X

yes... this one just bit me on my colonial/winterhalder 5-tube... the bob was not sitting down all the way into the little piece above the rating nut. i kept making fine-tuning adjustments that weren't... doh! 8-)

i like dad1891s response, as well.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pendulum_rod_and_bob.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	337146  
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...

Registered user.

One thing that I didn't mention is that an easy way to check whether my suggestion is really the problem is to let the power off the time train and pull the minute hand as far toward the front as it will go, then wind the spring. Stick it back in the case and if it runs fast, that may very well be the problem.
    Dave Diel

Default Re: Cant regulate 341-020 Hermle (By: dad1891)

Thank you all for the suggestions. I did put a chamfer on the back plate as I had a different clock do this before and found the minute arbor was sticking. I had thought about mainsprings but I don't have a winder and didn't feel ready to tackle pulling a spring out of the barrel without one. I may have to do that just to rule out the springs as a potential failure point. The bob is free to move up and down, and is resting on the rating nut as it should. The crutch eye isn't binding on the leader and there is no slack at the suspension spring or the pendulum to cause any loss of power. I'm thinking the mainspring would be the next best thing to check and hopefully that's it. Ill check the hands again for free play but i'm confident that they aren't binding. There has been weeks where I didn't adjust the rating nut and the time would jump so i'm thinking mainspring, but I wanted to toss it out there for anything else I may have missed.

Default Re: Cant regulate 341-020 Hermle

If you can't remove the mainsprings, take them to your local shop to have them removed, cleaned, lubricated and re-inserted. One other thing to check is the condition of the minute hand bushing. If it's loose and sloppy, the hand will slip.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Registered user.

Default Re: Cant regulate 341-020 Hermle (By: shutterbug)

And the clutch for the center wheel.
    Tinker Dwight