Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Question Requesting Help to Identify "Fleetwood" Chronograph Pocket Watch

Hello,

New member here. I'm looking for information about this pocket watch; specifically about the movement. I've searched on google and haven't found anything. It's a chronograph pocket watch with "Fleetwood" on the dial. The movement has a hallmark of a standing lion looking left holding a (branch?) inside of a shield. It has a serial number "No 47727". It doesn't have a company name on the movement as far as I know. The case is 14K gold by W.P.&H. Any help identifying the company that made the movement, or any other information about this pocket watch, would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_4c6.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	866.3 KB 
ID:	337068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_4c7.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	407.6 KB 
ID:	337069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_4c8.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	291.7 KB 
ID:	337070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_4c5.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	337071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_4c9.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	337072

Default Re: Requesting Help to Identify "Fleetwood" Chronograph Pocket Watch

I'm pretty sure it was made by Meylan or Badollet (Swiss, I believe.). The left-facing lion confuses things a bit, as I believe Meylan's lion usually faces right, but it should be one of the other. If you search the web for "Meylan" "Badollet" "lion facing", you should get some information. In fact you could probably just search the European pocket watch forum and come up with good info. BTW: Your post will probably be moved to the "European and Other" forum, as it was not made in America. Nice, high-grade chronograph. Cheers.

I believe the watch was cased here in America by Wheeler, Parsons, and Hayes, which later became Hayden Wheeler, & Co. of N.Y., 1870-1920 (Ehrhardt).It looks like a very nice case to fit a very nice watch.
    Last edited by MrRoundel; 03-20-2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Add "Swiss" origin.

Default Re: Requesting Help to Identify "Fleetwood" Chronograph Pocket Watch (By: MrRoundel)

Moving to European Pocket Watches.

Default Re: Requesting Help to Identify "Fleetwood" Chronograph Pocket Watch (By: MrRoundel)

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was made by Meylan or Badollet (Swiss, I believe.). The left-facing lion confuses things a bit, as I believe Meylan's lion usually faces right, but it should be one of the other. If you search the web for "Meylan" "Badollet" "lion facing", you should get some information. In fact you could probably just search the European pocket watch forum and come up with good info. BTW: Your post will probably be moved to the "European and Other" forum, as it was not made in America. Nice, high-grade chronograph. Cheers.

I believe the watch was cased here in America by Wheeler, Parsons, and Hayes, which later became Hayden Wheeler, & Co. of N.Y., 1870-1920 (Ehrhardt).It looks like a very nice case to fit a very nice watch.
    The Mikrolisk site has the trademark of the lion facing left in a shield for Charles Henri Meylan clocks, cases, pocket watches; Le Brassus, Switzerland and New York, USA

John

Default Re: Requesting Help to Identify "Fleetwood" Chronograph Pocket Watch (By: John Matthews)

Nice watch, but if you had not noticed, there is a case screw missing that I would have replaced before much use.
    Again a very nice watch,
    Bill

Default Re: Requesting Help to Identify "Fleetwood" Chronograph Pocket Watch (By: Bill Manders)

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post

That did the trick, thank you. For some reason when I googled "lion facing left pocket watch" I couldn't find anything. But "Meylan lion facing left" had plenty of hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Manders View Post
    Nice watch, but if you had not noticed, there is a case screw missing that I would have replaced before much use.
    Again a very nice watch,
    Bill
    Thanks for pointing that out Bill. I had my watchmaker put in a new screw, free of charge .

Thanks to everyone for all your help!

Default Re: Requesting Help to Identify "Fleetwood" Chronograph Pocket Watch (By: District)

Fleetwood is in Lancashire, the home of English watch making, so it may be the name was chosen for that. (though it is 60 miles from Prescot)
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Requesting Help to Identify "Fleetwood" Chronograph Pocket Watch (By: novicetimekeeper)

Possibly but I suspect it was for the US market.

Meylan had been in the US for some time before returning the Switzerland. Alos the use of case screws on the top of the movement side is US practice. Lastly, not many if any 14K cases made or sold in the UK.

Lots of towns and cities in teh US are named for English ones and Cadillac, the automaker, has a Fleetwood model.

There has been a lot of discussion about the Badollet lion. Many, including myself, believe that either direction the lion faces means Badollet although many others signed, and, or finished their movements.

As others wrote, it's a nice movement but it is filthy and would benefit from a good cleaning and lube, especially if you are going to use it.

An occasional use is not going to kill it but it is a fine watch and should be cleaned and worn, on a chain.