Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Ansonia Gothic Steeple Clock

Hi, I have an Ansonia with patent date 13 June 1882 in for cleaning & overhaul. Everything looks original to me. The clock is running but will need one or two bushes otherwise is OK except for the minute hand. The minute hand end has been broken off and I have been requested to repair or replace the hand. I doubt whether a repair is really viable (someone in the past has tried soldering it) but Timesavers has very similar bushed hands which will need modification to the centre as the square on the minute hand is 2mm and should be 3.4mm, while the bush on the hour hand is 5mm and should be 5.5mm. I could file the square bigger on the minute hand so it would fit but not replace the hour hand just reblue it to match the minute hand. The pendulum rod however is very loose in the bob and was jammed up with cardboard with the regulating nut missing. However the nut turned up lying in the bottom of the case. I have found a picture of this clock on a 1915 catalogue page which ties in with the clock having belonged to the owner's GF. Comments please!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4431.jpg   IMG_4440.jpg   IMG_4443.jpg   IMG_4445.jpg  

Default Re: Ansonia Gothic Steeple Clock (By: kologha)

I would replace both hands with similar spade hands and file to fit if I could not find anything matching from another parts clocks. If I did replace them, I would leave the current hands in a small envelope inside the clock in case someone wants to try to re-use them at some time in the future.
    The purpose of a discussion is to learn something, not to prove who is right. Dalai Lama

That pendulum rating wire needs to be replaced. You could reshape the old wire by straightening the upper part and reforming the bail to make a much sharper bend about where that black speck is about half way from the present bend and the bob. This will allow the left side of the bail to go down into the bob's slot where it is supposed to be. This would require replacing the suspension spring/rod too, so unless the suspension spring is bad replacing the rating wire would be the best approach.
    Willie X

Default Re: Ansonia Gothic Steeple Clock (By: Willie X)

If the old rating nut fits the threads, mightn't that be the original rating wire? I would keep it. I'd also leave and reblue the hour hand, unless the replacement minute hand is so different they appear mismatched.
    Jeremy

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ansonia Gothic Steeple Clock (By: Jeremy Woodoff)

I have reshaped the rating wire as per a picture on Timesavers and now it's as it should be. I am still thinking about what THTanner said about replacing both hands and putting the originals in a packet inside the clock. I like that idea. How should the suspension spring attach to the support? There doesn't seem to be a pin nor is there a hole for a pin and the end of the spring is bent over to form a hook which hooks over the top of the slot. Is that correct? I have never worked on one of these clocks before, in fact it's the first Ansonia I have ever seen. They are not common in SA although I have seen two or three for sale on the local auction.

Hi, Kologha,

Regarding your suspension spring, there are several methods of securing it. The easiest is to flatten it out, and use either a dull punch or a Phillips-type screwdriver to gently punch a small dimple into the top 1/4 of the spring, in about the center. This will keep the spring from sliding down through its holder. Some collectors will take a very sharp awl and punch a tiny hole through the center top 1/4, and twist a small piece of copper wire through it to accomplish the same thing. Alternatively, I have often seen the simple fold that is currently present on your spring completely folded over, which works as well. The most original and authentic methods are either the dimple or small wire, with the dimple being the most common in American clocks like yours. Hope this helps!

My very best,

George Nelson

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ansonia Gothic Steeple Clock (By: George Nelson)

Thanks George for the descriptions of how the suspension is secured.

Can anyone help with dating the clock? The trade label pasted inside the clock gives New York, Brooklyn and Ansonia, Connecticut addresses. I believe that by 1883, the Connecticut factory had ceased operations so can that mean that the clock might have been made between June 13 1882 (stamped on the movt) and 1883 when the Conn factory stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by kologha View Post
    I believe that by 1883, the Connecticut factory had ceased operations so can that mean that the clock might have been made between June 13 1882 (stamped on the movt) and 1883 when the Conn factory stopped?
    Operations at Ansonia did come to an end in 883. Your analysis sounds right, though perhaps also a bit later, making allowances for the using up of labels already printed that mentioned Ansonia.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ansonia Gothic Steeple Clock (By: Steven Thornberry)

Thanks Steven.

Can anyone identify the species of bird on the door of the clock?

Default Re: Ansonia Gothic Steeple Clock

Quote Originally Posted by kologha View Post
    Thanks Steven.

Can anyone identify the species of bird on the door of the clock?
    Ruffed grouse, perhaps? or quail? (Audubon is never around when you need him!)
    Last edited by Steven Thornberry; 03-22-2017 at 04:54 AM.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ansonia Gothic Steeple Clock (By: Steven Thornberry)

My thought is Quail, Callpepla Gambelii perhaps.