Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bezel Removal

Default Re: Bezel Removal (By: JHorner)

You will need to remove the bezel, then the hands and the nut holding the movement to the dial. I have a commercial source for the I-QQA20-00 I showed above and for some other options depending on the length of the arbor that is needed for your clock that I can share with you in a PM if you like. I don't think an exact replacement for your movement is available so the mounting screw holes will probably not match and your hands may not fit on the replacement. You should be able to use the speaker in your clock, but you will most likely get a new speaker with a new movement.

Quote Originally Posted by JHorner View Post
    I removed the two screws. The movement wouldn't budge, the nut on the face of the dial must be holding it firmly in place. There is another thin piece of wood, the same size as the movement itself, between the movement and the clock case.

Thank you everyone for your comments.
    If you are not fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. Vince Lombardi

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Bezel Removal (By: THTanner)

Did you replace the batteries? Weak batteries will cause this problem.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

When you get the bezel off, take of the hands and see if it will work without them. Does it always stop when the hands are opposed to each other like that?
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

On the hands issue, these clocks have a soft plastic hour hand cannon/shaft. If the hour hand is to tight, over time it will pinch the soft cannon and stop the minute hand! There is also a clutch (intetnal) that allows you to sync the chime dropoff from the back without moving the movement. A nice feature but it gives a lot of trouble. The plastic parts are tiny as the movement is a sub assemply to what you see and only about 1 1/4" square. Customers really like these movements but overall a pretty crappy movement in my experience. To many design flaws. I would expect Hermle to come back with a similar movement in the near future. Hopefully it will be a better design with better quality control ... I can dream can't I?
    Willie X

Default Re: Bezel Removal (By: Fitzclan)

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclan View Post
    I don't think the bezel has to come off. It looks like the wood strips hold on a piece of plywood and I think the dial is attached to that. If you get that plywood out, I think the whole movement, dial and hands are attached. Should be easy to replace. Just my 2 cents.
    I like Fitz's idea. Remove the two battens and the entire mounting board should come out, dial and all.

Is what I think.
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Default Re: Bezel Removal (By: bangster)

If that can be done, you end up with the bezel, the glass, the hands, the nut and dial all out of the case. But you still have to remove the hands and the nut to remove the movement - if in fact it needs to be replaced - so you would still have to get the bezel off. Unless I am missing something about how this is put together??

Quote Originally Posted by bangster View Post
    I like Fitz's idea. Remove the two battens and the entire mounting board should come out, dial and all.

Is what I think.
    If you are not fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. Vince Lombardi

Default Re: Bezel Removal (By: THTanner)

Quote Originally Posted by THTanner View Post
    If that can be done, you end up with the bezel, the glass, the hands, the nut and dial all out of the case. But you still have to remove the hands and the nut to remove the movement - if in fact it needs to be replaced - so you would still have to get the bezel off. Unless I am missing something about how this is put together??
    It looks to me like the bezel is attached to the outer case, not to the mounting board. I think the board, with dial and movement, will come out leaving the bezel and glass in place.

Possible - and would be great if that is how it was done. I don't think I have seen one where the mounting board and dial was mounted in the case with glued in pieces though. And I don't see any screws to remove the trim boards. But hard to see from the pics.

It looks to me like the bezel is attached to the outer case, not to the mounting board. I think the board, with dial and movement, will come out leaving the bezel and glass in place.

Hey, Bang, if you look real close at the first photo, I think there is a brass nut behind the hour hand. I think the movement is mounted with that nut. If so, the bezel will have to come off in order to get to it.
    Wonder where the OP went. I'm curious.
    Will Walker (WOW)

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Bezel Removal (By: wow)

Perhaps he found out that he only needed to replace the batteries
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Bezel Removal (By: harold bain)

Just "fixed" a cheaper version of a similar movement for a veteran who came in about an hour ago. He had one battery in the wrong direction. Luckily his movement had a diode to prevent damage. New batteries in the right direction, a cup of coffee, a fine chat for an hour and he is happy. I am sure it is just a money issue, but when they make the + and - sign for battery alignment really small and from black plastic down in a battery hole inside a clock case it can be hard to see which way to put them in.

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post

Default Re: Bezel Removal (By: harold bain)

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    No, still here. I did try several fresh batteries before posting here, so I don't think it is the batteries.

I don't think that removing the mounting board can be done as being discussed. Those pieces that looked like wood strips are not strips, they are actually the back corners of the fluted quarter column and capital. Hopefully these pics show it a little better. The board the movement is mounted to continues up behind the curved top piece of the clock, and on the sides stops short of the 'strips' on the sides - which are actually the back corners of the columns, capital, and block that you see from the front.

Thanks for the continued suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clock1.JPG   Clock2.JPG   Clock 2.JPG  

Movement is attached to inside of the case. Dial/bezel attached to the outside. Bezel has to be pried off the dial. This can be difficult but once you get a little movement, continue around the bezel. At about the halfway around point they usually start to loosen.
    Willie X

Default Re: Bezel Removal (By: Willie X)

Well, so much for my suggestion.

JH,
    Be sure to use the small screwdriver like a tiny crow bar, catching just the edge of the thin bezel. You can use a toothpick or a wood skewer as a fulcrum. Don't twist it, twisting will cause damage.
    Oh BTW, these movements won't work with Eveready batteries but this causes a no run condition, not an intermittent issue.
    Willie X