Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bezel Removal

Default Bezel Removal

I have a 2003 Seth Thomas Barrister Mantle clock with the #2115 Hermle quartz movement. The movement stopped working properly after changing the time, something I have read here is a common problem for this movement. I would like to replace the movement but cannot figure out how to remove the bezel to get access to the hands. The bezel is not hinged and I do not see any way to release it from the front or back. I have tried to simply pull it off from the front, but it doesn't budge. I am tempted to try to pry it off with a small screwdriver but I am worried about damaging the wooden face of the clock. I also worry that if I try to pry it I will crack the glass as it flexes. Can anyone tell me the correct way to remove this bezel?

Thank you for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clock1.JPG   Clock2.JPG   Clock3.JPG  

Default Re: Bezel Removal (By: JHorner)

If there are no visible screws on the bezel, remove the batteries and check for screws there. If there are none there, the bezel must snap on. You are right about the bezel needing to be removed. The movement will not come out until you remove the hands and the nut behind them. Good luck.
    Will Walker (WOW)

Default Re: Bezel Removal (By: wow)

Have you tried turning the Bezel? Maybe it has pins or dimples & locking slots.
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss.

Default Re: Bezel Removal (By: BLKBEARD)

It looks to me like you might be able to remove the molding from the inside of the case that holds the movement and dial to the front .
    "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven." - Ecc. 3:1

Default Re: Bezel Removal (By: Fitzclan)

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclan View Post
    It looks to me like you might be able to remove the molding from the inside of the case that holds the movement and dial to the front .
    I thought about that, Fitz, but the bezel must be removed no matter what else you do. Can't get to the hands and nut holding the movement in without bezel removal.
    Will Walker (WOW)

Default Re: Bezel Removal

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    If there are no visible screws on the bezel, remove the batteries and check for screws there. If there are none there, the bezel must snap on. You are right about the bezel needing to be removed. The movement will not come out until you remove the hands and the nut behind them. Good luck.

There are two screws in the back, one behind each battery. If that means that the bezel snaps on, is removal done by prying it off from the front? Thank you.

Those two screws likely just mount the movement to the board. When I remove those bezels I put blue tape at several places around the bezel to protect the case and use a small screw driver to gently pry the bezel up bit by bit going around the edge. Never try to pry it off near the glass. I often use a plastic tip screw driver instead of metal if the bezel does not come off easily. That bezel material will bend easily and once bent it is pretty difficult to hide the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by JHorner View Post
    There are two screws in the back, one behind each battery. If that means that the bezel snaps on, is removal done by prying it off from the front? Thank you.
    The purpose of a discussion is to learn something, not to prove who is right. Dalai Lama

Some more details would be helpful. Did the problem show up after turning the time forward this spring? What are the symptoms it is having?
    If the problem appeared in the autumn it should be noted that any quartz clock with music must be turned forward only. Turning the hands backward past the 12 will often ruin the little electrical trip mechanism.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Bezel Removal (By: shutterbug)

First remove the two screws and see what happens. Since it is a wide movement, the screws may connect to tabs on the bezel.
    Will Walker (WOW)

These are the units I like to use - they are "Keininger" but made in Taiwan - have great sound and are clearly marked that you can turn the hands either way. A lot of the older ones do not allow this and it is a common reason for failure if you do turn them backwards and they are not designed for that.

Part number I-QQA20-00 and sold by several vendors.

One issue to consider is that your current hands may not fit on this unit, so when you order it, order hands that match your current hands. You usually get one set of hands of your choice with the movement. This version includes a sweep hand.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Some more details would be helpful. Did the problem show up after turning the time forward this spring? What are the symptoms it is having?
    If the problem appeared in the autumn it should be noted that any quartz clock with music must be turned forward only. Turning the hands backward past the 12 will often ruin the little electrical trip mechanism.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KeinMusic.JPG  
    The purpose of a discussion is to learn something, not to prove who is right. Dalai Lama

Those Hermle movements are not available. I think that the almost identical Kieninger double "c" cell movements are gone too. Just saying ... You may be able to still find these movements somewhere. The smaller single "c" cell Seiko is readily available and works well. It is also less complicated to operate and works with all brands of batteries.
    If there are no plastic lugs (near the edge of the dial) that extend through the case, the bezel will pry off as others have already instructed.
    Willie X

Default Re: Bezel Removal (By: Willie X)

Might be secured with double sided foam tape.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."- Plato (428 - 348 BC)

I thought about that, Fitz, but the bezel must be removed no matter what else you do. Can't get to the hands and nut holding the movement in without bezel removal.
    I don't think the bezel has to come off. It looks like the wood strips hold on a piece of plywood and I think the dial is attached to that. If you get that plywood out, I think the whole movement, dial and hands are attached. Should be easy to replace. Just my 2 cents.
    "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven." - Ecc. 3:1

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    The problem did show up after moving the time forward recently. Now, when I set the time the clock runs for a couple hours then stops. If I reset the time again, the same thing happens - it runs for a couple hours then stops. I can still hear the movement ticking, so it is running but the gears must have slipped out of place or something because the hands don't move. The chimes have stopped sounding. They had been silent for days, then worked again after I reset the clock yesterday. However the clock stopped again after a few hours, and when I reset the clock the chimes are silent.

First remove the two screws and see what happens. Since it is a wide movement, the screws may connect to tabs on the bezel.
    I removed the two screws. The movement wouldn't budge, the nut on the face of the dial must be holding it firmly in place. There is another thin piece of wood, the same size as the movement itself, between the movement and the clock case.

Thank you everyone for your comments.