Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Databases - what do you use (By: ANDY YALE)

Quote Originally Posted by ANDY YALE View Post
    I use a journal ruled cash ledger . I write the info in with a fountain pen. It will never crash, or lose data, I can find stuff quickly and it has a nice old timey look that matches the watches better than a computer screen.
    Who worries about a crash? All you have to do is keep your system backed up. Mine is backed up by Dell, and I also have a new 1T hard drive that I keep my entire system backed up on.

Robert

Default Re: Databases - what do you use (By: Accutronica)

On 17th century calculators I suggest the first was Leibnitz's machine from about 1670. I suspect most of the manufacturing was done by watchmakers.

Neal Stephenson's Historical marvel. "The Baroque Trilogy" features this woven into the Longitude problem in a very absorbing but complex and long work.

Default Re: Databases - what do you use (By: Dr. Jon)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jon View Post
    On 17th century calculators I suggest the first was Leibnitz's machine from about 1670. I suspect most of the manufacturing was done by watchmakers.

Neal Stephenson's Historical marvel. "The Baroque Trilogy" features this woven into the Longitude problem in a very absorbing but complex and long work.
    Yes interesting point there - I suspect for any delicate manufacturing job,the local Watchmaker was an obvious place to go. Just like in the early days of watches, it would have been the local jeweler. Certainly I've seen the same for things like the development of the wheel-lock pistol, which is an obvious borrow from the watch.

Could we be daring and push the clock back further for the first Calculator to the Astrolabe or the Antikythera mechanism - both analogue mechanical devices to compute a specific output given variable data input. In the case of the Astrolabe, by replacing one climate plate with a different design, you could compute different things from the same tool (date, time,location on the earth, direction of Mecca) surely this has a case for an early programable instrument ??

As an aside, I've a small project to build my own Chaucerian astrolabe, just for the hell of it ;-)

Default Re: Databases - what do you use

Re: Databases - what do you use (By: Firegriff)

(I have always thought it was the Jacquard Loom. The loom used programmable punch cards that could be read in sequence to produce essentially any pattern wanted including realistic natural images.

The loom was invented in 1804 and some remarkable software was available for it by the late 19th century. It provided the model for the census machine which was the forerunner of the International Business Machines tabulator engine.)

Very true it used the pre"cursor" of punch cards for the different weaves.

Default Re: Databases - what do you use (By: MartyR)

Quote Originally Posted by MartyR View Post
    I don't understand that, Griff In what sense was a 19th century watch a "computing" machine at all?

A computing machine has to compute, in other words it has to perform calculations. A 19th century watch simply had to measure time through movement of the balance wheel, and then display the result. An Egyptian clock did exactly the same through movement of water, but that wasn't a computer.

Unless I'm completely missing something ... which would not be unusual
    It in its many added on complications the watch became a very complicated calculator or a "Clanker" in steampunk terms.

Registered user.

Default Re: Databases - what do you use (By: Firegriff)

Shouts to who ever said they work for HP. I'm HPE myself transitioning to DXC come April 1st.

Any-who, 17+ years developer here with plenty of client/server 3 tier application development.

I would suggest starting small with a client interface written in C sharp (Visual Studio 2015) with a LOCAL SQL Server 2016 Express database (which is FREE up to 10GB).

Once defined and up and running it can be ported to any web server to host the db. Possibly even a merge tool to update monthly changes to the db, app detect for new db changes and auto download/update, etc.

Just send me a pm if anyone is interested. I can work on this on the side.

Regards,
    jesse

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19150-01...-overview.html Hi, I know that you are interested in servers; my old ML350 5 Server started giving trouble so I gave it to my mate for him to sort it out with the words ”Here it’s yours”. I just purchased a New still in the box Sunfire X4450 that had been sitting in a warehouse for years for AU$690.00. It has 4x6-Core Intel Xeon 7460 processors, 24gb (12x2gb) pc2-5300 ecc fully buffered ddr2 dimms, 4x 146gb 10k rpm 2.5 `sas hard disk drives. I know that it is an overkill for what I will be using it for and at US$25,445.00 when new in 2008, was just a bit out of my price bracket. I will use some sort of Data Base to put all my Pocket Watches and movements on it. The red Dots show the one that I purchased. Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	338110
    Last edited by Omexa; 03-28-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Registered user.

Default Re: Databases - what do you use (By: Omexa)

Nice server specs!

Default Re: Databases - what do you use (By: JesseEads)

Same here Jesse - day one for us on DXC is April 3 - Was EDS working on HPC as part of Workload and Cloud un the UK.

Default Re: Databases - what do you use (By: John Matthews)

Great stuff for OpenOffice -

Quote Originally Posted by John Matthews View Post
    I use OpenOffice on both Windows 10 and Debian. I have quite a sophisticated database for my watches which I continue to develop I am able to store text and photographs, with internal and external links. It is now ~200MB. I use the embedded database engine, so it is all completely free. I am pushing the software to the limit and I have to be very careful when editing the forms and backup frequently. In general use it is stable, unless I try and attempt to run the database alongside, 2 browsers, email while editing raw file in Lightroom! Windows has never been great managing memory! Here's a few screen shots. Sorry, it is not something I am able to share.

John
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Default Re: Databases - what do you use (By: David Mac Farlane)

Hi John, my new Computer comes I think with Solaris 8 which I will update to Solaris 10 or 11; if I don't like it I have a Legal Copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 and I will install that on the Computer. Any help with Solaris operating Systems would be appreciated. Will open Office install on Solaris? Regards Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Omexa View Post
    Hi John, my new Computer comes I think with Solaris 8 which I will update to Solaris 10 or 11; if I don't like it I have a Legal Copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 and I will install that on the Computer. Any help with Solaris operating Systems would be appreciated. Will open Office install on Solaris? Regards Ray

Ray - no experience of Solaris but it should work, see here -> http://www.openoffice.org/docs/setup...o_install.html

John

Hi, the New Computer should arrive by the 13th; I did not realize how heavy it is 28KG in box. A strange thing has happened, the Computer that I built up from parts (AMD A8-3850 APU quad core 2.9 GHz; for the Techies on the forum) that were lying around from previous repairs (when I did repairs) is refusing to have any problems; it is almost like it knows it is being replaced and seems to have anthropomorphic properties. When I get the new Computer I will set up my Database. Regards Ray

Hi, my new Computer Sunfire x4450 finally arrived on the 20th it was 37KG in the box and the Delivery man carried it up the stairs on his own. I have discarded the Solaris Operating System and installed Open Suse Leap 42.2 on it. I had a devil of a job working out the Raid and the Bios but in a couple of Weeks I will fully understand it. Now to work out how to sort out the Database for my Pocket Watches and movements. It is a bit noisy with 12 Fans but I will sort that out. There was a bit of a bonus when I unpacked the sealed Box; it had 6 146GB Hard Drives and 32GB ram instead as advertised 4 Hard Drives and 24GB of Ram. My luck is still running Graham. Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	341117
    Last edited by Omexa; 04-22-2017 at 02:02 PM.