Goal: $300, Received: $125.00 (42%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rrrrr... Can't get this movement to work. Stops moving 5 minutes in...

Hey Guys,

I can't figure this one out. The clock is clean, oiled, etc. The thing just doesn't want to keep running. It stops after a few minutes. I did change the suspension spring, I've adjusted the pendulum in every way, and still the same issue. Thoughts?

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Attachment 337018
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image2.JPG  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rrrrr... Can't get this movement to work. Stops moving 5 minutes in... (By: Clockrepairforfun)

Is it in beat.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Registered user.

Default Re: Rrrrr... Can't get this movement to work. Stops moving 5 minutes in... (By: Clockrepairforfun)

We need to see a video of the escapement running.
    Also, it looks to be over oiled. No oil should be running
    down the plates.
    Tinker Dwight

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rrrrr... Can't get this movement to work. Stops moving 5 minutes in... (By: Tinker Dwight)

Looked over oiled to me too, did you oil it. Video would really help, Looks like a weight driven movement.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Registered user.

Default Re: Rrrrr... Can't get this movement to work. Stops moving 5 minutes in... (By: Kevin W.)

Also agree it's over oiled. What will happen is since you applied more oil than what the oil sink can handle it will run down the plate and eventually run itself dry. Just clean it off and try again. Just need a tiny dab. As for the clock stopping it's probably out of beat. If it slows down to a eventual stop that it's out of beat. As others mentioned a video would be good but if not you need to listen for an even tick tock tick tock. If it's not even it will stop

Default Re: Rrrrr... Can't get this movement to work. Stops moving 5 minutes in... (By: Jasons34)

It looks like the clock has flaking lacquer everywhere. Looks like it was put in an ultrasonic cleaner and the heat and cleaning chemicals caused the lacquer to peel. Once it starts to flake, it will continue and tiny flakes will get into the pivots and everywhere else. I would disassemble the movement and do a thorough cleaning, polishing off all the lacquer. Then you will be able to bush where needed and properly oil all pivots without problems.
    Will Walker (WOW)

Hi,
    just a guess--------------but it looks like the SS is to long. It appears that the leader is resting on the crutch.
    Anyway,just a guess. Hope this helps.
    tom
    "keep 'em runnin' "

Default Re: Rrrrr... Can't get this movement to work. Stops moving 5 minutes in... (By: wow)

The first thing to check is whether any power is getting to the escape wheel. That is, when the pendulum moves from side to side does the escape wheel actually rotate as each tooth is released. Is it actually 'running' and making tick tock sounds. If yes, and if the escape wheel moves smartly (not sluggishly) as each tooth is released then there is likely not a power or lubrication issue keeping it from running and the most likely issue, as others have said, is that it is not "in beat".

A preliminary static beat check is, with the clock movement level and at rest, move the pendulum slowly right and left of center until the escapement just releases a tooth (the escape wheel advanced one tick). If the clock is in beat the escapement will 'tick' when the pendulum is the same distance each side of the center resting position. It will also have an even space between the ticks as it runs. (Final beat setting should be made with the clock running but the static setup should be close enough that the clock will run unless there are other issues.)

RC

Registered user.

Default Re: Rrrrr... Can't get this movement to work. Stops moving 5 minutes in... (By: tom427cid)

Although, not supper serious, you should straighten the suspension
    spring post. It puts undo stress on the suspension spring and
    doesn't allow the spring to hang straight.
    It isn't stopping the clock but not good for the spring.
    Tinker Dwight

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Rrrrr... Can't get this movement to work. Stops moving 5 minutes in... (By: tom427cid)

Quote Originally Posted by tom427cid View Post
    Hi,
    just a guess--------------but it looks like the SS is to long. It appears that the leader is resting on the crutch.
    tom
    Good catch, Tom. That is definitely a clock stopper.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Quote Originally Posted by tom427cid View Post
    Hi,
    tom
    Yep. I was hoping it would work with the one I purchased. I need to get a slightly shorter one. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone. This is the first clock I've gotten to this point. Two issues, I've taken away here. The over oiling, and the suspension spring. I'm going to order a new one tonight, and wipe off oil for now. I'll keep you posted. Again thanks for all the good feedback.

cs

Registered user.

One of the other members ( I forget who ), had the clever idea
    of taking a needle and sticking it in a small piece of dowel rod
    as a handle. The end of the eye is ground off leaving the U shaped
    end. This make a good oiler. It can bring just a tiny amount needed.
    You just need enough to go 360 degrees around the pivot and
    a tiny amount more to deal with evaporation.
    It should be hard to see.
    Tinker Dwight

Pretty sure that was Jay F.
    Willie X

Default Re: Rrrrr... Can't get this movement to work. Stops moving 5 minutes in...

Not even sure it's the correct suspension. Can't really see it. But on some of these (I have similar Hamilton School house ) it's a two part suspension.

On the one I am talking about is a small suspension spring block less than half inch in length and the next part (not sure what it's called) hooks on to the suspension spring block with split fork over pin (like yours does on bottom) and that part is about 4 inches or so. That part is specially designed to slip into the side of the crutch gap and then hook to top spring block.

Funny thing is you have to put the second part on first, attach it to the block and then insert the spring block into the top post. Seems awkward that the middle piece wont reach high enough to put it's hook over top of the suspension spring block's pin, but no. So I always have to re-do.

Anyway, then the middle piece I think twist so the bar runs perpendicular to the plates and then has a pin that you hang the split fork hook of your pendulum rod on. So basically you'll be looking for 2 pieces instead of 1, if I am correct about the suspension type.

I have to make one soon for one of my project clocks. I'm just going to use some thin rectangular brass stock if I got any. I hate to make it out of coat hanger wire but I could.

RJ

Update: Ah used winders magnifier. Now I see.

I see you have the part and the suspension is just a hair bit too long. But a quick fix would be to bend the crutch tab up just a hair so it does not touch if it is touching. Yours doesn't slip in side but has the tab to interact with crutch.
    Last edited by RJSoftware; 03-20-2017 at 03:57 PM. Reason: I see he has part
    The bitter the challenge, the juicy the conquest.
    Conquest -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGaVUApDVuY

Default Re: Rrrrr... Can't get this movement to work. Stops moving 5 minutes in... (By: RJSoftware)

Quote Originally Posted by RJSoftware View Post
    Not even sure it's the correct suspension. Can't really see it. But on some of these (I have similar Hamilton School house ) it's a two part suspension.

On the one I am talking about is a small suspension spring block less than half inch in length and the next part (not sure what it's called) hooks on to the suspension spring block with split fork over pin (like yours does on bottom) and that part is about 4 inches or so. That part is specially designed to slip into the side of the crutch gap and then hook to top spring block.

Funny thing is you have to put the second part on first, attach it to the block and then insert the spring block into the top post. Seems awkward that the middle piece wont reach high enough to put it's hook over top of the suspension spring block's pin, but no. So I always have to re-do.

Anyway, then the middle piece I think twist so the bar runs perpendicular to the plates and then has a pin that you hang the split fork hook of your pendulum rod on. So basically you'll be looking for 2 pieces instead of 1, if I am correct about the suspension type.

I have to make one soon for one of my project clocks. I'm just going to use some thin rectangular brass stock if I got any. I hate to make it out of coat hanger wire but I could.

RJ

Update: Ah used winders magnifier. Now I see.

I see you have the part and the suspension is just a hair bit too long. But a quick fix would be to bend the crutch tab up just a hair so it does not touch if it is touching. Yours doesn't slip in side but has the tab to interact with crutch.

You are spot on! Yep. Someone up earlier on the thread noticed the SS was a touch too long. I ordered a few mm shorter today. But when I got home I did play with it some, trying to put in beat. I was able to get more time out of it before it stopped, though I'm not there yet. It may be the SS. I'll know shortly. I also ordered a Ultrasonic cleaner based on what someone else said about the lacquer chipping. I'm going to clean it up a bit and then try again. I really like this clock so I'm going to take some time. Thanks RJ.

- - - Updated - - -

You are spot on! Yep. Someone up earlier on the thread noticed the SS was a touch too long. I ordered a few mm shorter today. But when I got home I did play with it some, trying to put in beat. I was able to get more time out of it before it stopped, though I'm not there yet. It may be the SS. I'll know shortly. I also ordered a Ultrasonic cleaner based on what someone else said about the lacquer chipping. I'm going to clean it up a bit and then try again. I really like this clock so I'm going to take some time. Thanks RJ.