Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Americus with AS780 movement

Hello, I am trying to track down a little bit of history on a watch I purchased. I bought it as a non-working starter project, as I am new to this craft. The movement was seized upon arrival between the escape wheel and pallet. After disassembly and reassembly I was happy to see that the movement actually ticks, which I think is a stroke of luck.

The linked article shows Americus was an American company based in Detroit, MI that assembled watches from 1916-1951 Could this 7-jewel be one of their earlier pieces? Some internet listings I have found for the same AS780 7-jewel movement show these movements are from the 1920s. https://timelesstimepieces.wordpress...mericus-watch/

As you can tell from the photo the dial needs some work, and the second hand is missing. The case is also in rough shape, and is missing the rear cover. Is it worth pursuing a restoration, or is it too far gone? If so, where is a good place to start for the dial and hands?

Thanks,
    Josh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1932.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	278.6 KB 
ID:	336968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1909.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	336969  

Default Re: Americus with AS780 movement (By: J0sh)

I can't answer all your questions, but International Dial Co. in Wilmington OH can do a nice job on your dial.

Hope this helps.

JTD

Default Re: Americus with AS780 movement (By: JTD)

Not much i can tell you. It sounds like one of those anonymous watch makers throughout the early-mid 1900's. I would suggest that watch is an early 30's version but its just a guess on my part.