Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Grandfather clock hammer bounce

I have an English grandfather clock circa 1830 that has a hammer that bounces and is very noisy when the clock strikes. I have attached two photos that show there is obviously something missing. From what I have read, the missing part may be either a stop or a hammer spring. I have tried attaching pads of felt to the bar that has a screw hole, but it's still bounces and makes a lot of noise. I would appreciate any information that could help me correct this problem. Many thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0470.jpg   IMG_0474.jpg  

Default Re: Grandfather clock hammer bounce (By: oakcircle)

Looks like there is a stop missing. The hole in the pillar is threaded, thus, a screw of some sort was there. I suspect that the lift is too great and the hammer moves too far causing too much rebound. If you screw a stop screw in and set the hammer tail further away from the bell, then bend the tail so the head is about 1/4 inch away from the bell, the lift should be less causing less rebound. Make any sense?
    Will Walker (WOW)

Default Re: Grandfather clock hammer bounce (By: wow)

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    Looks like there is a stop missing. The hole in the pillar is threaded, thus, a screw of some sort was there. I suspect that the lift is too great and the hammer moves too far causing too much rebound. If you screw a stop screw in and set the hammer tail further away from the bell, then bend the tail so the head is about 1/4 inch away from the bell, the lift should be less causing less rebound. Make any sense?
    It makes sense. I'll look for a screw that fits, try it, and let you know if it works.
    Thanks for your advice!

I don't think it is just a screw. I serviced one similar a bit ago and a screw at that location held a piece of leather to cushion the blow against the pillar and keep it quiet and dampen the bounce. I don't know if that was original or someone else's work, but it did a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by oakcircle View Post
    It makes sense. I'll look for a screw that fits, try it, and let you know if it works.
    Thanks for your advice!
    The purpose of a discussion is to learn something, not to prove who is right. Dalai Lama

Default Re: Grandfather clock hammer bounce (By: THTanner)

I have not come across one with a leather stop, usually there is a vertical spring up the side of the plate acting on the hammer.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Grandfather clock hammer bounce (By: novicetimekeeper)

I have occasionally seen this done, but not sure if it is original or a later addition.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-l1600.jpg  
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Registered user.

Before you start bending anything have a look at the hammer spring.

The hammer spring on most of these English long case clocks also doubles as the hammer banking, you can see from the two photos here where the hammer is pulled back and the spring is pressing on the tail of the hammer, and then at rest the top section of the hammer tail sits on the flat section of the spring.

This is normally enough along with the hammer set the correct distance from the bell to dampen the hammer so it doesn't vibrate or bounce too much.

And some clocks do have a short brass plate added to help dampen the hammer which is what probably missing from your clock.

The hammers do pull back a fair way on these, they are meant to be loud.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170320_131438.jpg   20170320_131442.jpg  

Default Re: Grandfather clock hammer bounce (By: dAz57)

You didn't ask about it, but I detect some serious wear on the gear teeth in your movement, oakcircle. That should be addressed before long. It appears to be mostly the 3rd and 4th wheel of the strike side, but you might have the same issues on the time side too.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.