Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Cuckoo chimes and cuckoo's too fast

I have a cuckoo clock from George Kuehl Clock Co Chicago, Illinois circa 1900. I've had it since 1981 and over the years no major issues until recently.
    It cuckoo's on the half hour fine, the top of the hour is the problem. For instance at noon it will cuckoo very fast for say the first four cuckoo's at noon,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABC1Cuckoo.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	336911 then something
    appears to engage and the rest of the cuckoo's are normal. I've looked and there's nothing that appears worn or out of place inside. Any ideas on what to look for?
    It was working fine one day and then the next it just started this problem. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Cuckoo chimes and cuckoo's too fast (By: blindowl1234)

The fly at the top of the movement is probably loose on it's shaft. Test by holding the fly's shaft stationery with one finger and turning the fly. You should feel some resistance. No resistance ... best to remove the fly to restore the tension/friction.
    Willie X

Default Re: Cuckoo chimes and cuckoo's too fast

Thanks! I didn't see a fly unless I can't see it. I attached a pic of the inside.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABC1Cuckooguts.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	336962
    Last edited by blindowl1234; 03-19-2017 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added pic

Here are two pictures of a similar movement- although not lyre - showing where the fly should be and yours with a red arrow pointing to the arbor where the fly should be attached. Note that the fly is quite small. On mine it is approx 12 x 24 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by blindowl1234 View Post
    Thanks! I didn't see a fly unless I can't see it. I attached a pic of the inside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ABC2.JPG   ABC3.JPG   ABC1Cuckooguts.jpg  
    If you are not fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. Vince Lombardi

Default Re: Cuckoo chimes and cuckoo's too fast (By: THTanner)

Ok I see it in the picture now. Looks like a project for next weekend maybe. Thanks

Timesavers, Black Forrest and others have fans and fan blanks if you need some

Quote Originally Posted by blindowl1234 View Post
    Ok I see it in the picture now. Looks like a project for next weekend maybe. Thanks
    If you are not fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. Vince Lombardi