Goal: $300, Received: $125.00 (42%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Waltham Crescent St.

I have a American Waltham Watch Co. Crescent St. made somewhere between December 1892 - June 1894. On the movement instead of having anything Waltham it has another company which I am assuming is a local watch sales place of the time period. I am curious if anyone knows did Waltham sell their movements to local watch places without marking them? It does have a serial number. #5726263 If anyone can tell me more that would be great thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20170318_220115.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	336894

Default Re: Waltham Crescent St. (By: SaukTronics)

What you have is what is known as a private label watch.

Company's policies differed, but generally when ordering a certain quantity of watches the companies were willing to mark the movements and/or dials however the buyer desired. Illinois is probably best known for private labels, but most companies made them(I'd say Hamilton and then Waltham-in particular 1883 models).

Many of us collect private label watches-in fact if you checked my collection you'd see that I probably have more PLs than factory marked watches. I have a couple of interests-regional(Kentucky), specific grades like 18 size Bunns, Bunn Specials, high grade Gettys, and pretty much any high grade Waltham PL.

Default Re: Waltham Crescent St. (By: ben_hutcherson)

So what is the name/location that is marked on your private label Crescent St?
    Fred Hansen
    NAWCC #109682

Default Re: Waltham Crescent St. (By: Fred Hansen)

Mine is marked with "Clark, Giddings & Co. Sterling, IL" I am actually from Sterling and after doing some research the company was a local watch and jewelry store located here in the late 1800's from what I can tell the Clark part of the company was part of the Clark family from VT and came from the Clark Bros. Co.