Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hamilton Railway Special 950B

I am new to this site and also to pocket watches. I was looking through some old watches that I received when my father passed away and found two old Hamilton's. The 950B was my Grandfathers who died before my mother and father met. I have been looking on line to see what I can find out about them.

One is a Hamilton 950B serial number S968 And the other is a Hamilton 924 that looks like a 1915 year.
    They both and working but the crystal is yellow and comes out on the 924. And the crystal on the 950B is a little loose. I would like to know anything I can about them and also how the crystals and held in. Can I get a new crystal for the 924 and replace it myself somehow and is there a way for me to tighten the crystal in the 950B

Thank you for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 924 Front.jpg   924 Rear.jpg   950B front.jpg   950B rear.jpg  

Default Re: Hamilton Railway Special 950B (By: mgssrs)

Beautiful watches!

Rob

Default Re: Hamilton Railway Special 950B (By: musicguy)

Thank you.

Default Re: Hamilton Railway Special 950B

Quote Originally Posted by mgssrs View Post
    I am new to this site and also to pocket watches. I was looking through some old watches that I received when my father passed away and found two old Hamilton's. The 950B was my Grandfathers who died before my mother and father met. I have been looking on line to see what I can find out about them.

One is a Hamilton 950B serial number S968 And the other is a Hamilton 924 that looks like a 1915 year.
    They both and working but the crystal is yellow and comes out on the 924. And the crystal on the 950B is a little loose. I would like to know anything I can about them and also how the crystals and held in. Can I get a new crystal for the 924 and replace it myself somehow and is there a way for me to tighten the crystal in the 950B

Thank you for any help.
    MGSSRS,

Welcome to the NAWCC American pocket watch forum. Your grandfather had a real nice taste for pocket watches when he purchased or for whatever means he became the owner of the 950B. If you're not familiar with this grade, it was first introduced in 1941 in the same watch case (Model A) that your movement (the works) resides in. Being 23 jewels, it is the highest jeweled watch that Hamilton produced over the 78 years they were in business in Lancaster, Pa. Your particular 950B was made in the 1941-42 timeframe. The dial on your 950B is made of enamel; later ones were made of melamine starting late 1940's. Most of the 950B's had 23 JEWELS stamped on the dial below RAILWAY SPECIAL, but there were a choice of dials during this timeframe. There were about 30,000, 950B's produced from 1941 to the late 1960's when it was discontinued.

Since you mentioned that the 950B was running and if you don't have any intentions of carrying it, I would recommend having the dial replaced if it made of plastic, if by chance it's glass, you may have it reinserted by a well respected and experience watch repairer or watchmaker. There is not much use in paying the expense of having it cleaned and adjusted if you don't intend to carry it.

With respect to the 924, you are correct, it was made in 1915 according to the Hamilton records. It is (was) a nice 18 size movement, always offered as a "movement only", meaning that you purchased the movement from a jeweler and then selected a case of your choice. Not to degrade in any way your 924, but the case that it resides in is contemporary to the movement or works. There were 140,275, 924's produced from 1899 to 1926. It was the least expensive (but still a good watch) 18 size, 17 jewel movement that Hamilton offered. As with the 950B, if you don't intend to carry this watch, I would recommend finding a minute hand and would replace the crystal.

These are my humble opinions, others my disagree and that just fine.

Robert

Welcome to the board, mgssrs. Beautiful watches. I would investigate the watchmaker and make sure they wear vinyl/latex gloves or finger cots. Or if you are curious, you could send in their skin flakes and get their DNA profile. That might be interesting.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Accutronica View Post
    Welcome to the board, mgssrs. Beautiful watches. I would investigate the watchmaker and make sure they wear vinyl/latex gloves or finger cots. Or if you are curious, you could send in their skin flakes and get their DNA profile. That might be interesting.

Robert
    Thanks,

Robert
    Last edited by Robert Sweet; 03-19-2017 at 07:45 AM.

Default Re: Hamilton Railway Special 950B (By: Robert Sweet)

Robert, In the second paragraph of this post, I believe you meant to say crystal and not dial. This could confuse a new collector.

tom

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Sweet View Post
    MGSSRS,

Welcome to the NAWCC American pocket watch forum. Your grandfather had a real nice taste for pocket watches when he purchased or for whatever means he became the owner of the 950B. If you're not familiar with this grade, it was first introduced in 1941 in the same watch case (Model A) that your movement (the works) resides in. Being 23 jewels, it is the highest jeweled watch that Hamilton produced over the 78 years they were in business in Lancaster, Pa. Your particular 950B was made in the 1941-42 timeframe. The dial on your 950B is made of enamel; later ones were made of melamine starting late 1940's. Most of the 950B's had 23 JEWELS stamped on the dial below RAILWAY SPECIAL, but there were a choice of dials during this timeframe. There were about 30,000, 950B's produced from 1941 to the late 1960's when it was discontinued.

Since you mentioned that the 950B was running and if you don't have any intentions of carrying it, I would recommend having the dial replaced if it made of plastic, if by chance it's glass, you may have it reinserted by a well respected and experience watch repairer or watchmaker. There is not much use in paying the expense of having it cleaned and adjusted if you don't intend to carry it.

With respect to the 924, you are correct, it was made in 1915 according to the Hamilton records. It is (was) a nice 18 size movement, always offered as a "movement only", meaning that you purchased the movement from a jeweler and then selected a case of your choice. Not to degrade in any way your 924, but the case that it resides in is contemporary to the movement or works. There were 140,275, 924's produced from 1899 to 1926. It was the least expensive (but still a good watch) 18 size, 17 jewel movement that Hamilton offered. As with the 950B, if you don't intend to carry this watch, I would recommend finding a minute hand and would replace the crystal.

These are my humble opinions, others my disagree and that just fine.

Robert

Robert[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the information. I got these watches several years ago and put them in my safe. Now that I have done a little research on them they mean a lot more to me. I have no intention of carrying them but would like to keep them out in some kind of display.

Your post said to have the dial replaced if plastic if glass have it reset. I am only concerned with the crystal at this time. It came out when I was trying to unscrew the front cover and it is plastic. I just want to be able to hold it and show it to people and not have the crystal fall off.

The story I was told about the 950B was that my Grandmother left it with a repair place and never picked it up. She died in 1973 At some point the repair place found her name scratched inside the back cover and returned it to my dad. I think that is why the crystal look so clear and the watch is clean and bright.

Is the crystal some how crimped in the cover? I wounder if I could just bring the front covers in to a repair place and have the crystals repaired/replaced. As for the minute hand on the 924 is there a place I could buy one and put it on myself?

Thanks again for the time you spent replying to me. It is appreciated.

Default Re: Hamilton Railway Special 950B (By: Tom Huber)

Thanks I did see that and wounded about it.

I am sure that Robert made a typo and meant to say Crystal instead of dial.

Yes, you can install the minute hand if you can find the correct one (try eBay).

I would also find an age appropriate case for the 924, and they both would have had glass crystals when new.
    Jim Haney

Default Re: Hamilton Railway Special 950B (By: mgssrs)

Your post said to have the dial replaced if plastic if glass have it reset. I am only concerned with the crystal at this time. It came out when I was trying to unscrew the front cover and it is plastic. I just want to be able to hold it and show it to people and not have the crystal fall off.
    In deed, I was referring to the crystal and not the dial, thanks to our friend Tom and Jim for bringing this to my and your attention. I posted my comments at 3 minutes after midnight and things were a bit foggy.

Is the crystal some how crimped in the cover? I wounder if I could just bring the front covers in to a repair place and have the crystals repaired/replaced. As for the minute hand on the 924 is there a place I could buy one and put it on myself? .
    The watch repairer's have a special tool to insert the plastic crystals, but I believe the glass crystals may be glued in place (someone will correct me if this is an incorrect method). I would take the complete watch to the repairer for the new crystal. I believe Jim answered your question about purchasing a correct minute hand for the 924.

Robert

Below is an image of the Hamilton 924 (open face) and 925 (hunting - pendant at 3 o'clock) from a 1910 "Hamilton Watch" catalog.

Robert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hamilton 924.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Sweet View Post
    .....Most of the 950B's had 23 JEWELS stamped on the dial below RAILWAY SPECIAL, but there were a choice of dials during this timeframe.
    Robert,

Just out of curiosity...Robert or anybody...What do you think of the appropriateness of this bold Montgomery dial as a factory issued dial on this relatively low SN 950-B. Has anybody seen any evidence...boxed examples or factory evidence that Hamilton would have shipped this watch with a dial like this...without the "23 Jewels" marking? I love this dial style but I am just curious about it on the 950-B.
    John Cote
    Watch Collector (pocket & wrist), Clock Admirer, Time Nerd...

Default Re: Hamilton Railway Special 950B (By: John Cote)

John,
    My vote would be that the dial was switched from the original ,23 Jewels.

Why would anyone order a regular 21 J 992B dial when the watch wanted to shout out for the world to see, it was a 23 Jewel watch?
    Jim Haney

Quote Originally Posted by John Cote View Post
    Robert,

Just out of curiosity...Robert or anybody...What do you think of the appropriateness of this bold Montgomery dial as a factory issued dial on this relatively low SN 950-B. Has anybody seen any evidence...boxed examples or factory evidence that Hamilton would have shipped this watch with a dial like this...without the "23 Jewels" marking? I love this dial style but I am just curious about it on the 950-B.
    John, Jim,

Below is a boxed label for a 950B with a BMNUM "Blind Man Numerical" i.e. Montgomery dial within the serial number range mentioned.

Robert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HWC - 950B - Dial - Blindman Numerical - Montgomery.jpg