Goal: $300, Received: $160.00 (53%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Sawin and Dyar Banjo

I acquired another clock at last weeks auction, a Sawin and Dyar banjo. I hadn't intended to buy this one, but when the auctioneer ran out of bids, I couldn't resist.
    It appears to be mostly original, with the exception of the missing sidearms. (Personally, I prefer it without the sidearms.) The painted iron dial is held in place with “hooks” rather than screws and is labeled “Sawin and Dyar, Boston”. I'm not sure about the originality of the throat glass or the tablet, but they have been in place for a long time. The door latch for the tablet appears to be intended to operate with the winding crank, rather than a simple knob. The case is mahogany and unfortunately someone touched up the gilding with gold paint. When I was cleaning the works I noticed what appear to be extraneous holes in the backplate. The iron weight has a lead “keystone” to attach the hook for the pulley. When I reassembled the clock, the reason for the holes became obvious –there are tiny alignment pins imbedded in the case to align the movement. It seems to be a very strong runner. Now the question of where to hang it?
    My wife is out of town at the moment, therefore, I'm empowered to make command decisions regarding placement / replacement of clocks on the premises. If, upon her return, she notices anything amiss, I'll just say “Oh thats been hanging there for years.”
    Ray Rice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3180016.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	336834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3180001.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	260.5 KB 
ID:	336835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3180002.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	336838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3180003.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	336840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3180005.jpg 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	336841  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3180007.jpg 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	336842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3180011.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	336843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3180012.jpg 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	336845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3180014.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	336847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3180017.jpg 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	336849  

Default Re: Sawin and Dyar Banjo (By: Raymond Rice)

Hi, Raymond,

Well, what a WONDERFUL clock! I am currently in a "wood movement phase" right now, but have wanted a genuine old banjo for years now. They have such a history!

I had a very good laugh at your comment "Oh, that's been hanging there for years." More than once, I've tried that, but sadly, with little success. When bringing a new clock into the house, I do not let it chime or strike for a while in order not to bring too much attention to it. When my wife does finally notice the new addition, I have, as I said, used the "hanging forever" attempt. I always get the dreaded 'face' that all husbands know much too well. I also will get the occasional comment about the place being like a clock museum. Actually, my wife is a genuine treasure, and she puts up with my 1000 clocks as graciously as can be expected.

Best to all,

George Nelson

Default Re: Sawin and Dyar Banjo (By: George Nelson)

Hello George,

Sawin & Dyar were in business 1822 - 1827.. I believe the dial signature is original based upon example from Paul A. Foley's book; the ear mount for movement are a typical signature for John Sawin's shop.

The throat tablet appears original, however the tablet glass is a later replacement as its white background color does not match the throat; tablet glass are more easily broken so it not unusual to have original throat glass and replaced tablet glass.

It is a nice acquisition and good Improved Timepiece example.

Andy Dervan

Default Re: Sawin and Dyar Banjo (By: Andy Dervan)

Andy,

Thanks for the additional information. It is indeed a wonderful clock, and it is great to have an original dial signature! Although the tablet glass replacement is not an exact match due to color, it is still a spectacular job. I'm glad you were able to add it to your collection.

Best,

George Nelson

Default Re: Sawin and Dyar Banjo (By: Andy Dervan)

Hi, Andy, thank you for your comments. I agree with you on the tablets -- the lower tablet is old, but certainly not original. This morning I ordered Foley's book (from the Willard house museum--they seem to have the best price). Books are another of my many vices.
    Ray Rice

Default Re: Sawin and Dyar Banjo (By: Raymond Rice)

Very nice clock Ray!