Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Question Please help provide advice on age and manufacturer of this clock besides repair

Hi there - having briefly reviewed the forums this looks like a great and sociable place to seek some friendly advice. Heres hoping you can help.

I am trying to identify the age and manufacturer of this clock as I cannot find any stamps other than the key which I know is progress.

The clock is in need of some TLC quite clearly and I wanted to know whether it would be worth investing in the restoration. I managed to get the clock to work for c4hrs before coming to a standstill.

All advice and help much appreciated
    Best regards
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4100.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	330.4 KB 
ID:	336812Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4103.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	299.4 KB 
ID:	336811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4101.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	336813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4102.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	287.6 KB 
ID:	336814

Default Re: Please help provide advice on age and manufacturer of this clock besides repair (By: Newbie2clocks)

Hello,

It is impossible to identify who/what company made this skelton clock unless it is signed. These clocks were popular in late 19th century and were manufactured by multiple unnamed clocks. Royes-Collard wrote an extensive book on them that was published in 1969.

It is an attractive looking skelton clock and having the proper dome is a plus, and visually appears complete.

We can not discuss clock values on this message board. If the only issue is the movement running, it is simple fusee movement that should be reasonably able to be serviced by a knowledgeable clock repairer.

Andy Dervan

Default Re: Please help provide advice on age and manufacturer of this clock besides repair (By: Newbie2clocks)

Welcome to the board.

This is a nice skeleton clock and seems to have its original dome and plinth, which is a big plus. The key has nothing to do with the manufacturer of the clock - Progress was a trade name for a key manufacturer in UK and is not original to the clock. However, having looked more closely at your photos, it appears there are two keys, one brass and one steel. The steel one appears to have had 'wings' attached to it, presumably to make it easier to turn when winding (I am assuming the steel key is the Progress one). I suppose one key is used for the going spring and the other for the fusee. The brass one looks as if it might possibly be original and seems to be double-ended, thus eliminating the need for two keys. Perhaps whoever 'adapted' the steel key found it hard to wind the clock with the rather narrow brass key.

If the clock runs for 4 hours it may just be dirty and need cleaning and oiling and setting in beat. On the other hand, there may be other work which needs to be done. It is not a complex movement and as Andy Dervan has said, a competent clock repairer should be able to manage it without any trouble.

There are lots of more modern versions of this type of clock around and yours is a nice older one. If it were mine, I would certainly get it put in running order. If you decide to take it to a clock repairer, make sure he is a competent person, don't take it to high street jeweller who will just farm it out so someone else and charge you extra for doing so. Whreabouts are you in the UK? The BHI site has a geographical list of qualified clock repairers which might help you find one.

JTD

Default Re: Please help provide advice on age and manufacturer of this clock besides repair

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie2clocks View Post
    Hi there - having briefly reviewed the forums this looks like a great and sociable place to seek some friendly advice. Heres hoping you can help.

I am trying to identify the age and manufacturer of this clock as I cannot find any stamps other than the key which I know is progress.

The clock is in need of some TLC quite clearly and I wanted to know whether it would be worth investing in the restoration. I managed to get the clock to work for c4hrs before coming to a standstill.

All advice and help much appreciated
    Best regards
    I agree with what has already been said.

Nice time only fusee' skeleton of a relatively common type. Appears to be in a Gothic Revival or Neo-Gothic style which was popular in the later Victorian period.

Nice old gilt base with plush covering and glass shade. Looks like the base has feet?

An attractive package.

There is a good book about skeleton clocks "Continental and American Skeleton Clocks" by Derek Roberts. Might be available at a larger library. You may find it interesting to peruse.

The vast majority are anonymous. Some do bear a signature on the frames or on a plaque which may be the name of actual maker or retailer.

I will also add, there are many reproduction skeleton clocks and "kit" clocks. There have been and I believe still are kits available to the hobbyist to build their own skeleton clocks.

I've also seen in some of the horological publications an article by a handy person proudly showing off how they took an old movement, eg from a dial or shelf clock and skeletonized the plates turning it into a skeleton clock.

RM