Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Westminster, chime starts too soon and lasts too long!

My son-in-law asked me to look at his Westminster chime, mantelpiece clock where chime was running on too long and starting early, particularly on the hour. There are absolutely no markings to indicate origin or manufacturer. It seems that the centre cam’s ‘teeth’ on the shaft of the minute hand are holding up the long lever (via the lifting lever) for too long, and therefore causing the chime to run on until the lifting lever has slipped back into its rest position.
    Between the 15 minute events when the long lever is not being lifted, pulling down the test lever (on right-hand-side with eye hole) results in the expected number of chimes and strikes.
    Chime and strike apart, this clock keeps good time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tony's clock - centre cam exposed.jpg   Tony's clock - showing locking plate.jpg   Tony's clock - top  view.jpg   Tony's clock - top view.jpg  

Registered user.

Default Re: Westminster, chime starts too soon and lasts too long! (By: TrevorWhatmore)

Is it consistently starting early all the time on allchime sequences? If so check if the mainspring nite hand has a bushing you can rotate to correct that. As for the sequence being too long once again is that consistent on all sequences or just the hour? It very well could be that there is a lever (maybe gravity fed) that is slightly gummed up and not falling quick enough causing it to continue on.

Default Re: Westminster, chime starts too soon and lasts too long! (By: Jasons34)

For my own information could you please explain what is meant by 'the mainspring nite hand'? Going by the rest of your message I would think you were talking of the 'minute hand collet' but perhaps I am quite wrong.

My apologies for asking but I am not in US and sometimes have difficulty knowing the American terms.

JTD

Default Re: Westminster, chime starts too soon and lasts too long! (By: JTD)

Sounds to me that the clock begins chiming a few minutes before the hour and qrt hour when it should only be going into "warning". Check for a missing pin on the warning wheel or the warning stop lever not adjusted correctly. Shortly before the chime point the clock should go into 'warning' where the wheels of the chime train move briefly until the warning stop pin is arrested by a lever. When the lifting lever drops on the quarter the warning stop pin is released and chiming begins for the proper count.

RC

Registered user.

Default Re: Westminster, chime starts too soon and lasts too long! (By: R. Croswell)

JTD sorry about that. I meant minute hand bushing. Lately my iPad has been acting very sluggish and causes words to type incorrectly thus auto corrects them. If I would have proof read I would have picked it up

Default Re: Westminster, chime starts too soon and lasts too long! (By: Jasons34)

Thanks for explaining Jason, spellcheckers are a very mixed blessing in my opinion! I thought you must have meant the minute hand, but the words were was so far away from that so I began to wonder if I was ignorant of some important US terminology!

Thanks again.

JTD

Hi Jason34
    Yes, all chimes start early. I did turn the bushing and this resulted in the chimes starting less early but it made no difference to the 'extended' duration of the chime which eventually stops when the centre cam tooth allows the lifting lever to drop back to its rest position. I have checked (as best I can) for 'gummed up' levers but they all seem to be free. I am inclined to agree with R Crosswell with regard to the warning position although I haven't checked this yet.

Default Re: Westminster, chime starts too soon and lasts too long! (By: R. Croswell)

Hi RC
    I notice that a short time before the strike, the mechanism goes into the 'warning' mode like you describe. The strike, once started works fine. I wasn't sure if this should happen for the chime and haven't looked out for it. I will check again to see if it is happening. How can I identify the warning wheel and/or warning lever??

Default Re: Westminster, chime starts too soon and lasts too long! (By: TrevorWhatmore)

Sounds like the chime stop pin has broken off. Look at the front of the clock; just to the right of center you will see a small brass rotating disk. There should be a steel pin sticking out from the back side of this disk. This pin is what actually stops the chime train at each quarter. If you don't see a pin, look closely and you will see the stub where it broke off. You can replace the pin or look for a new or good used disk.
    Willie X

Default Re: Westminster, chime starts too soon and lasts too long! (By: Willie X)

No, there is no 'warning' for the chime, it just starts up as soon as the lifting lever reaches a certain height. Can anyone help me identify the 'warning' wheel and the 'warning' stop lever.

TW

Registered user.

The warning wheel drives the fly. It normally has nothing to do with stopping the train. The afore mentioned stop pin stops the train.
    Willie X

Registered user.

Default Re: Westminster, chime starts too soon and lasts too long! (By: Willie X)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie X View Post
    The warning wheel drives the fly. It normally has nothing to do with stopping the train. The afore mentioned stop pin stops the train.
    Willie X
    It is not a stopping problem, it is a warning problem.
    It is not waiting in warning.
    Tinker Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorWhatmore View Post
    Hi RC
    I notice that a short time before the strike, the mechanism goes into the 'warning' mode like you describe. The strike, once started works fine. I wasn't sure if this should happen for the chime and haven't looked out for it. I will check again to see if it is happening. How can I identify the warning wheel and/or warning lever??
    Not familiar with the exact movement you have but generally the warning wheel with the warning stop pin will usually be the wheel that drives the fly or 'fan'. Check that wheel for a small 'stop pin' or a hole where a pin may have been. The warning stop lever will be the lever that can move into position to arrest the stop pin.

RC

Registered user.

One of the pieces that sticks threw the plate would stop against the
    warning pin during warning. It would hold until the star cam drops
    the lever.
    I agree with RC. It sounds like the warning pin is broken.
    This often happens around this time of year when people advance
    the time incorrectly and catch the pin, snapping it off.
    ( Willie read post #10 again )
    Tinker Dwight