Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default newbie on board from UK

thanks for letting me join this group...I am 60 years old and live in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire in the UK...have been restoring wind up vintage mantel clocks and alarm clocks for about the last year....really enjoy the Smiths, Enfield, Bentime, Garrard Chiming mantel clocks and Smiths nodding alarm clocks...am learning all the time....first clocks I brought just needed a good clean and oiling...but have now completed a few spring replacements..also have repaired a few Anniversary and Carriage clocks
    But am after a bit of advice, have repaired and have working this antique French movement mantel clock but the clock gains about an hour a day....looking for help to maintain normal time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170129_151608.jpg   20170129_151837.jpg  

Default Re: newbie on board from UK (By: turnbacktime)

Welcome turnbacktime! You'll find there are quite a few UK members on here, I live down in Kent

An hour a day is a lot! How strongly is the clock running, is the balance wheel getting good rotation? How did you clean that part?

I'm sure other more experienced people will be along to help, but I just wanted to say hello

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Also wish you a warm welcome to the NAWCC Message Board. Thanks for posting your info and inquiry as well as the photos of your "problem" clock.

Regarding the problem of running too fast, I notice the rating arm for the balance spring (hairspring) is in "maximum slow" position, so you have no room left for adjustment there. Two possibilities are that (1) the hairspring has been shortened by someone or improperly replaced with a spring that is too short or too strong, or (2) The coils of the hairspring are touching each other or touching the outside of the regulation slide which will cause the clock to run fast.

The regulation slide is either a small arm with a slot or a loop of wire connected to the rating arm, it moves along the end coil of the hairspring to effectively lengthen or shorten it and change the rate. I suspect the second reason is the problem, you need to check closely while the clock is running to see if there is any touching between coils of the hairspring, or a coil touching the regulation slide on the outside, or the regulation slide having too large an opening where the hairspring coil fits through. You will need a bright light, would actually be best to remove the movement from the case and place it on a stand so you can see the balance and hairspring full view.

Default Re: newbie on board from UK (By: John Hubby)

have taken the hairspring out as seen in the pictures....think I have now fixed the problem ....I turned the collett on the hairspring around a bit on the shaft of the balance wheel which in effect once fitted would give more swing....did this and once refitted the clock is now keeping excellent time.....does this sound feasible , can the collett of the hairspring gradually turn a bit over the years causing a clock to gain time?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170323_073546.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	337639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170323_073613.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	337640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170323_082206.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	337641

A fine example of a "back winder" someone was asking about.

Quote Originally Posted by turnbacktime View Post
    thanks for letting me join this group...I am 60 years old and live in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire in the UK...have been restoring wind up vintage mantel clocks and alarm clocks for about the last year....really enjoy the Smiths, Enfield, Bentime, Garrard Chiming mantel clocks and Smiths nodding alarm clocks...am learning all the time....first clocks I brought just needed a good clean and oiling...but have now completed a few spring replacements..also have repaired a few Anniversary and Carriage clocks
    But am after a bit of advice, have repaired and have working this antique French movement mantel clock but the clock gains about an hour a day....looking for help to maintain normal time
    The purpose of a discussion is to learn something, not to prove who is right. Dalai Lama