Goal: $300, Received: $160.00 (53%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default so I'll be your huckleberry

Saw an add in paper the other day local jeweler in Alton Ill. where I live is looking for watches pocket ,wrist, parts whole or disassembled. Hmm I think this might be interesting. So I ride up, there is a few bringing in various wrist watches. so my turn ask if he's interested in collections, yep he is. What have you got, so I kinda bait him. I tell him I have a few Tremonts in silver cases. Never heard of them I'll give you 25$ a piece. I told that's not really even close to the value. So I ask if he's just looking for gold to scrap. Now he gets real uneasy says whats the most valuable pocket watch you have. Hmmm not really sure I have jones caliber i.w.c., never heard of it. I explain its fairly what I would call rare he offers 150$. Nope at this point theres kind of a crowd starting to gather and listen in on conversation.. o.k. lets see if he's really serious about looking for "rare" watches. So I tell him I have a D.D. Palmer in a gold case, never heard of it. I tell him this is also kind of a rare watch with few ever made, well bring it in and I'll have a look at it but you know pocket watches are only worth about 150-200$ . I tell him how about I bring back The complete guide to pocket watches so he can show people what the value really is versus trying to take them for the gold. I leave and a bunch in line behind me left with me....maybe I'll go back and try and get a business card...

Default Re: so I'll be your huckleberry (By: geo.ulrich)

Maybe that jeweler is on too something, many people have no idea what there watch is worth. There is a saying attributed to P. T. Barmum " there's a sucker born every minute " and he may be selling his new treasures on E-bay

Default Re: so I'll be your huckleberry (By: MLH)

good possibility or with gold being lower I would think buy buy buy wait for the spike and scrap, I warned all around here to the rouse. the look on his face and the others waiting in line to get taken was priceless when I offered to bring the price guide....

I was looking at this ebay listing (Now Ended) and the seller
    was selling a box of 294 pocket watches for scrap. It sold for almost 9000 dollars.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/294-Pocket-w...EAAOSwax5Ywt2K

Default Re: so I'll be your huckleberry (By: musicguy)

I hope the buyer was someone that has no intention of scrapping them.

Robert

Default Re: so I'll be your huckleberry (By: Accutronica)

I don't know if it'd be worth that much to me but can you imagine the day that package arrives? It'd be like Christmas for a week.

Blog Entries

Default Re: so I'll be your huckleberry (By: Mindless)

Accutronica, hope springs eternal, buy I wouldn't hold my breath on that one, unless the watches were rare, chances are a scrapper got it and will sell ones he can get money for and scrap the rest.

Default Re: so I'll be your huckleberry

I can guarantee they will not be scrapped.

Default Re: so I'll be your huckleberry (By: Dave Coatsworth)

there were a lot of people leaving while I waited and they were carrying there wares back out as they left. If I was not so busy I thought about setting up outside to see what they had, but in all probability the local law enforcement would most likely have been called..it might be an interesting way to find watches just leave an ad in paper and a number where to be reached and see what comes your way..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coatsworth View Post
    That's nice to hear!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coatsworth View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure buyer knew absolutely nothing, zero, of the watches I mentioned if it were to resell there should have been a glimmer of knowledge. so I'm pretty sure parts or resale was not his motivation..

Blog Entries

Its all about greed, scrapping some gold cases, very sad. So many lose movements around.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: so I'll be your huckleberry (By: Kevin W.)

Yep that haul of 294 pieces would be nice to deal with.
    I could see the possibilities in the photos, and just imagined selling them for various prices and making a bit of money on them,,,
    Good luck in the turn around!
    Every time I see a bunch of Hamilton, Bunn, and Vanguard movements pristine and running, It gets my goat,,,
    We all know the scrapper is behind the post...
    Dave.

Default Re: so I'll be your huckleberry (By: musicguy)

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    I was looking at this ebay listing (Now Ended) and the seller
    was selling a box of 294 pocket watches for scrap. It sold for almost 9000 dollars.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/294-Pocket-w...EAAOSwax5Ywt2K
    if you look at the sellers other items there is another listing for cases for scrap gold

Quote Originally Posted by geo.ulrich View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure buyer knew absolutely nothing, zero, of the watches I mentioned if it were to resell there should have been a glimmer of knowledge. so I'm pretty sure parts or resale was not his motivation..
    I believe Dave is inadvertently saying that he bought them or knows who did.
    Thanks Dave.

Robert