Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Ignatz pendulum slipping

I am the proud owner of a Ignatz flying pendulum clock that does not go. When I slightly move the pole the innards turn but they do not seem to be giving power to the arm to turn it. There seems to be no pressure on the arm at all in order to move it. Just wondering if anyone had any idea how to solve this without taking the thing apart. I believe it is a messy job removing the glued bezel and I'm sure I will damage the flimsy case.

Patrick

Default Re: Ignatz pendulum slipping

Unless the arm is just not on far enough to engage the drive gear, it'll probably have to come apart. When you rotate the arm, manually do the hands advance or retard? If so, it's something prior to the final drive gear. If not, push downward lightly, while turning, on the arm to see if it can slide any lower on the shaft. You said the innards turn, so I assume all of that's okay. But, it's good to verify.
    You remove the top finial and then remove the arm to prepare the clock to come out of the case. The bezel glue isn't originally strong enough to hurt the case. If anyone's used something else to secure the bezel, all bets are off. You'll have to wind up the movement and pin it to stop it from unwinding in order to get the movement out. Be very careful of the long steel rod. That it doesn't get bent and that its staking to the clock frame doesn't become loose.
    Living life at eight beats per minute.

Default Re: Ignatz pendulum slipping (By: MartinM)

Everything has to be perfectly aligned in those things. Even a slight bend in the brass tube will hose it up. I'm also afraid you'll have to take it apart and rebuild it.

- - - Updated - - -

I might have some parts. PM me if you need some, and I'll look
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Ignatz pendulum slipping (By: shutterbug)

I have taken the top finial off and the brass tube that turns the arm. The brass tube when turned manually does advance the hands so it looks like it is making contact.
    It is the flying arm that worries me. Should the arm be tightly clamped to the upright brass tube? On mine it is quite loose. I notice at the top of the brass tube there is a tiny flange with looks as though the arm may have been originally tightly attached. The arm ends in a loop which can be tightened. I'm wondering if I tighten it so the brass tube and arm move in unison without slipping whether that will make any difference.
    Patrick

I have been working on the clock and crimped the arm to the brass tube so there is no slipping and put the finial back on and the clock now seems to go. The thread is not quite catching on each side but I guess that is just a little adjustment that is needed.

Patrick

Default Re: Ignatz pendulum slipping (By: paddy2042)

You're close then. Keep fiddling. The ball has to be flying pretty fast to properly wrap around the wire catches.

I have enough trouble working on anything small especially clockworks, but this clock is so flimsy I am almost too frightened to touch it in case it breaks. It is a shame it was not produced with a bit more integrity and quality, as it is a really interesting clock.

Patrick

Default Re: Ignatz pendulum slipping (By: paddy2042)

It was always a novelty clock, designed after an earlier time control approach.

Try setting the top finial and arms so that the arms are a couple of degrees before the posts. This seems to make the action more consistent.
    Living life at eight beats per minute.

Default Re: Ignatz pendulum slipping (By: MartinM)

Thank you for that hint. I was wondering what the exact position of the bar should be in relation to the posts.

Patrick