Goal: $300, Received: $160.00 (53%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Hybrid View

Default 992 Model B case?

So it is common knowledge I think that the Model B was a temporary solution to a shortage of Hamilton's regular cases. What I don't know, because I don't see all the posts on the board, is whether or not The Model B has been definitively identified. If so, and this post is redundant information please ignore.

Below I've attached several pics, the gist of which is that a 992B which I saw recently is in the serial number range of the five box labels showing a Model B that I've documented, and so I'm wondering if this 992B is cased with what most would agree is a Model B case. The serial number of the caseback is also similar to the labels I've seen, though on those labels the S prefix was on the label but since I haven't seen a label and watch together I can't say for sure it was also on the caseback itself. Judging by the picture I've included I'm guessing it was not.

Has anyone seen a matching label and cased 992B together that looks like this one? Does anyone think the picture below is not of a Model B?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caseModelB_outerBoxLabelSmallest.jpg 
Views:	1091 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	336666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	movement1Smallest.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	336670   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front1Smallest.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	336667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caseModelB_boxLabelC43603Smallest.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	336665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	casebackSigSmallest.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	336664  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ModelB_1942_ReferenceSmallest.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	336668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ModelBsBoxedSmallest.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	336669  

Default Re: 992 Model B case? (By: Tref)

Tref,
    Thanks for the info on the "B" case and end labels. This case I believe, is the "B" case.

It is the old Traffic Special Cases they used on the 974 in the late 20's and early 30's. I posted a 974 Traffic Special with factory Box end labels and it is identical to this case. They also are similar to the newer Model !6 cases.

The "C" case are , I believe, what we call the Model 12 cases. They are exactly like the Newer Model 9 cases, I posted a recent Thread on ,however they are in base Metal,rather than Gold Filled.

Terry Hall can comment on this because he keeps up with it better Than I do.

Thanks
    Jim Haney

Default Re: 992 Model B case? (By: Jim Haney)

In agreement on what we "think" the B case is, but a watch, label, and case have not appeared at the same time...

I'm still 'out there' on the C case.... have a feeling is is GF, and looks like an elgin case... just a gut feeling.. not enough data on the C case 'yet'

Jim's put up some interesting examples recently that helped define some previously discussed example cases that were previously 'unknown' as a complete 'set'.....