Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Cuckoo clock repair

I have a cuckoo clock I am working on and I am wondering what is the best way to take off a bellow top from a whistle and put it back on. I was also wondering what is the best way to put chains back on the movement.

Default Re: Cuckoo clock repair (By: clock kid)

The bellows tops are usually glued on and care removing them is required. The glue can be prised off but care must be taken to avoid tearing the wood.

An easy way to refit chains is to take the ends off and trickle the chain back in so that turning the wheel with your finger in the direction of pulling the chain up, the wheel freewheels and careful rotation will allow you to pull the whole chain through. Then replace the ends or hooks and Bob will now be your uncle.

I got the chains on but I still need to do the bellows and bird. The music box works though.

Don't worry too much if a whistle or a bellows is damaged badly - normal sized ones are not very expensive on sites like TimeSavers

Quote Originally Posted by clock kid View Post
    I got the chains on but I still need to do the bellows and bird. The music box works though.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Default Re: Cuckoo clock repair (By: THTanner)

Think it was like $16 per set of bellows or something like that.

Default Re: Cuckoo clock repair (By: roughbarked)

I have it running without bellows but the strike is not working right and both the chime and strike are at the same time and I don't know how to fix that. I had to replace the time gear on the time side to the hands worked and it runs but the strike is my issue. Is it possible that it is the birds fault.

Registered user.

I'm not sure why you are removing the bellows tops. If it is to remove
    the movement, I usually remove the entire flute and bellows as an assembly,
    even if it is glued to the side. Earlier cuckoos are just held on with one screw and
    one nail.
    The timing of the music box is tricky to get right. We need to see a clear picture
    of you setup to describe the adjustment.
    Tinker Dwight

Without the bellows in place and connected it is easy for things to get a bit messed up. The levers that push the bellows up can fall too far down and become totally dislodged - or worse - jammed.

I have it running without bellows but the strike is not working right and both the chime and strike are at the same time and I don't know how to fix that. I had to replace the time gear on the time side to the hands worked and it runs but the strike is my issue. Is it possible that it is the birds fault.

Default Re: Cuckoo clock repair (By: THTanner)

For replacing bellow tops, one of those thin break off and reuse box cutter tools works great. Extend the blade(s) and tap it through the glue point.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Cuckoo clock repair (By: shutterbug)

I am working on the bellows and figured out why the strike was not working. The levers were getting jammed. And also is music supposed to come first or is the strike. Because right now if i make it goes past the chime it plays music then strikes on both but for the half hour it is only one. Did I do something wrong.

It is difficult to discuss the process without detailed pictures. But you might want to look at some you tubes regarding these issues. You can find more by googling "cuckoo clock music box repairs". The two below are examples of some of the results. The second one is probably what you need to study.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MZsxH8K0QM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvNizYgk1_o

I am working on the bellows and figured out why the strike was not working. The levers were getting jammed. And also is music supposed to come first or is the strike. Because right now if i make it goes past the chime it plays music then strikes on both but for the half hour it is only one. Did I do something wrong.

Default Re: Cuckoo clock repair (By: shutterbug)

If you're planning on replacing the bellows tops instead of repairing them, Ronell Clocks has bellows tops in various sizes for $5.75 a pair.
    A speedy way to remove a bellows top you're not going to reuse is to knock it off with a sharp whack to the bottom board from a large screwdriver handle, or something similar. If it leaves a few slivers glued to the whistle, shave them off with an X-Acto knife or something similar
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Registered user.

Default Re: Cuckoo clock repair (By: bangster)

You should notice two things in the video. One is that the lever on
    the music box has a loose bushing. On older clocks, the screw had a taper
    to set this. It is critical to not tighten the screw.
    The second thing is the rubber tubing on the little tip to block the
    fly. On older clocks, this has rotted and fallen off. It is also a critical
    part of the music box.
    The clock should strike first and then play the music.
    Without some pictures of you particular clock we can not help
    you much more.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Cuckoo clock repair (By: Tinker Dwight)

1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.