Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Water Wheel won't turn on Cuckoo

I did several repairs on a Cuckoo that has three weights, it has a couple guys sawing wood, and another guy chopping a log (which activates with the music box and the water wheel) which are powered by the third chain. My problem is that the plastic water wheel won't turn, the rubber wheel that the chain feeds through is probably worn and there is not enough friction against the chain passing through the groove to make the rod that holds the water wheel turn. I tried adding an additional thin flat rubber gasket to the center groove of the two rubber sides to build it up to make the wheel thicker through the middle groove but it still is not enough to turn the rubber wheel making the rod holding the plastic water wheel turn. There is a small rod in back of the rubber wheel that pushes the chain close to the center of the rubber wheel, is that rod able to be adjusted closer to the rubber wheel? I know this is a simple fix and once I can get enough friction on the chain, the water wheel will turn, it did briefly, but stopped. I made sure the water wheel was tight on the rod outside of the box. Thanks if you can help me? Good to be back fixing clocks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3671.jpg  
    Last edited by sparkleplenty; 03-16-2017 at 07:08 PM. Reason: added picture

Default Re: Water Wheel won't turn on Cuckoo (By: sparkleplenty)

Without pictures I'm only going from memory. The third chain runs the music box and the water wheel runs off that?

Default Re: Water Wheel won't turn on Cuckoo (By: roughbarked)

I don't have a lot of experience with these, but from what I recall, the chain that runs the sawyers and choppers has a loop that runs back toward the back of the clock, and across a sponge rubber wheel that drives the mill wheel.

If this is yours, you need to increase the traction with the rubber wheel, so's the chain will turn it.

Either replace the rubber wheel, or coat it with some thing that will increase the traction. One possibility would be tincture of benzoin.
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Default Re: Water Wheel won't turn on Cuckoo (By: bangster)

I have had good luck with these rubber part problems by putting on a thin layer of rubber cement. Before it fully dries I wipe it off then let the piece dry completely. Once dry, I lightly sand the surface with 800 grit. I suppose the solvent in the rubber cement does most of the job.

Quote Originally Posted by bangster View Post
    I don't have a lot of experience with these, but from what I recall, the chain that runs the sawyers and choppers has a loop that runs back toward the back of the clock, and across a sponge rubber wheel that drives the mill wheel.

If this is yours, you need to increase the traction with the rubber wheel, so's the chain will turn it.

Either replace the rubber wheel, or coat it with some thing that will increase the traction. One possibility would be tincture of benzoin.
    The purpose of a discussion is to learn something, not to prove who is right. Dalai Lama

Default Re: Water Wheel won't turn on Cuckoo (By: THTanner)

I always remove the chain and check the friction on the wheel itself. If it won't turn easily by itself, you'll never get it to turn with the music train. You might have to remove it and make sure everything is smooth and polished at the rotation points.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Water Wheel won't turn on Cuckoo (By: bangster)

Thanks, Bangster, I increased the traction in the grove of the rubber wheel by cutting a very thin line of two sided sticky rubber and wrapped it around the center of the wheel making sure it was joined at the ends. Then dusted the surface lightly with corn starch to make it less tacky and blotted off any excess. Like making a new rubber band to fit in groove of rubber wheel. It worked great, water wheel turns nice and strong! Thanks for your suggestion.