Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default How do i open a sealed spring barrel of a Gustav Becker clock?

Hello
    My name is Ian and I am writing from Australia. I have a beautiful Gustav Becker mantel clock and I fear one of the springs has broken as it continues to wind then I hear it release within its barrel. I believe it is an early clock as the serial number is 2081 and so I would really like to keep it chiming as it sounds so lovely. I have successfully removed the barrel but I do not know the correct way to open it and I do not want to just pry it open without checking first as I do not want to damage it.
    This is my first time on this forum and so I hope I have posted correctly. I did a search for this problem prior to posting but did not find anything. I would greatly appreciate any help and advice.
    Kind regards
    ian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  

Default Re: How do i open a sealed spring barrel of a Gustav Becker clock? (By: icestormboy)

You can scan through this link - for some different methods - most of use a soft mallet and a sharp blow holding the barrel in a glove or towel.

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...g+barrel+steel
    The purpose of a discussion is to learn something, not to prove who is right. Dalai Lama

Default Re: How do i open a sealed spring barrel of a Gustav Becker clock?

Hi THTanner
    Thank you very much for your fast and very helpful advice. Problem solved much easier than I had expected. Just gave it one give bang on the work bench and off popped the cap.
    Much obliged.
    Kind regards
    ian
    Last edited by icestormboy; 03-16-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Default Re: How do i open a sealed spring barrel of a Gustav Becker clock?

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Re: How do i open a sealed spring barrel of a Gustav Becker clock? (By: icestormboy)

Ian, will appreciate if you could post photos of the case of your clock and the back of the movement. We can likely identify the model number using available period catalogs. The serial number indicates your clock was made in the second half 1927. GB changed their serial numbering system in May 1925, discontinuing a 75-year practice of using consecutive serial numbers for their clocks made with "massiv" movements (solid plates, cut pinions, Graham deadbeat escapements). That included wall, mantel, bracket, 400-Day, and hall clocks all within the same system. From May 1925 until the end of 1932 when the Freiburg factory was closed, they restarted numbering but used the same system for at least four different types of movements in including 400-Day, Westminster, spring drive time & strike, and weight driven hall clocks. This resulted in multiple duplication (quadruplication) of clocks having the same serial numbers. I have documented a number of these.

Default Re: How do i open a sealed spring barrel of a Gustav Becker clock? (By: John Hubby)

That was a long post.http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...g+barrel+steel Did anyone mention that you should mark the barrel cap, so it goes back to it's original position, before you take it off. Might be a good idea< I always do this. Plus you may want to look at the barrel and cap and see if they need to be bushed. The arbors wear just the same as wear on the plates.
    R&A Sometimes we are retarded and sometimes we are advanced.

Registered user.

Default Re: How do i open a sealed spring barrel of a Gustav Becker clock? (By: R&A)

Look to see where it failed. If it failed near the outside of the
    spring, there is usually no issue.
    If it failed near the center, you need to check the second
    wheel to make sure the pinion doesn't have a bent leaf or that
    the second wheel arbor is bent.
    Checking the arbor is easy. One just puts it between the plates
    and spins it.
    For the pinion, you can put the barrel ( with cap ) back between the
    plates. With a little drag of your finger on the second arbor, slowly
    rotate the barrel. Do a full 360 of the barrel as well.
    It is also possible that the person before you just wasn't able to get
    the spring to hook on the center. It can be tricky. In which case there
    it may look like a failure at the center but there is no damage done.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: How do i open a sealed spring barrel of a Gustav Becker clock? (By: R&A)

Quote Originally Posted by R&A View Post
    That was a long post.http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...g+barrel+steel Did anyone mention that you should mark the barrel cap, so it goes back to it's original position, before you take it off. Might be a good idea< I always do this. Plus you may want to look at the barrel and cap and see if they need to be bushed. The arbors wear just the same as wear on the plates.
    I have often heard that recommendation, and am dubious that it is something that is really needed. I have never marked them, and never had an issue.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: How do i open a sealed spring barrel of a Gustav Becker clock? (By: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    I have often heard that recommendation, and am dubious that it is something that is really needed. I have never marked them, and never had an issue.

why would it be important?
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...

Default Re: How do i open a sealed spring barrel of a Gustav Becker clock? (By: smike)

The only reason I mark them- with a temporary ink felt pen - is to examine the barrel for true round shape and if it is not true then it is easier to re-align the cap and inspect it to see if it too was damaged. If the barrel or the cap are not true and you try to put it back on in a different orientation it can cause other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by smike View Post
    why would it be important?
    The purpose of a discussion is to learn something, not to prove who is right. Dalai Lama