Goal: $300, Received: $215.00 (72%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Seth Thomas Parlor clock identification and opinion

This is my next project and I am starting the research. I believe this to be a Parlor clock as noted on page 655 of Tran's Volume 2 on Seth Thomas clocks. I think it matches the 2207. It is weight driven and fairly complete. The lyre movement is stamped 13 which matches closely to the length of the pendulum rod and suspension spring. The case is 25 inches tall.

I am pretty sure the face is original and untouched. I am not sure about the tablet. The paint seems too fresh and bright on the back side. It came with proper weights, key and bob as far as I can tell. It needs new strings and hooks and one top pulley is no good. Both pulley covers are missing. Aside from an extra eye hook on top I do not see any modifications. The paper inside is complete, but a bit ragged on the corners and oil stained as usual. The gong sounds fine.

I have never worked on one of these and would like to hear about dating (I think 1874), movement problems, what you think about the tablet and anything else that doesn't look quite right.

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STwght.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	336622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STwght3.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	336623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STwght4.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	336624   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STwght5.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	336625   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STwhgt2.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	336626  

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Default Re: Seth Thomas Parlor clock identification and opinion (By: THTanner)

Don't remove the eye hook on top. When the weights are cranked up, these clocks are way top heavy and need a safety wire.
    Willie X

Looks like 2207 in Trans book (Arlington Book Co.)This is an O.O.G. clock so called because of the concave and convex shape of the outer moulding and door frame. Usually 30 hour clocks in this size so eight day is special.

Default Re: Seth Thomas Parlor clock identification and opinion (By: jacks61fd)

Thanks I was trying to figure out what the O O G meant as opposed to O G

Quote Originally Posted by jacks61fd View Post
    Looks like 2207 in Trans book (Arlington Book Co.)This is an O.O.G. clock so called because of the concave and convex shape of the outer moulding and door frame. Usually 30 hour clocks in this size so eight day is special.
    - - - Updated - - -

Okay thanks - there are also two holes inside the case that are obviously not original design and are off center. Probably to catch a stud for security.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie X View Post
    Don't remove the eye hook on top. When the weights are cranked up, these clocks are way top heavy and need a safety wire.
    Willie X

Default Re: Seth Thomas Parlor clock identification and opinion (By: jacks61fd)

The book lists 1874 as a date. Is that the first year of several or the only year? Also, is there a source that gives the approximate number that were made?

Quote Originally Posted by jacks61fd View Post

Quote Originally Posted by THTanner View Post
    The book lists 1874 as a date. Is that the first year of several or the only year? Also, is there a source that gives the approximate number that were made?
    The year 1874 indicates the year of the catalogue from which Tran took the illustration. The same model could have been offered a few years either side. Judging from your movement, which shows Plymouth, Conn., yours could be earlier. It would be good to see what is on the label.

In 1865, the town of Plymouth Hollow was unofficially renamed Thomaston in honor of Seth Thomas. The town was officially renamed Thomaston in 1875 and became incorporated in its own right (it was previously part of Plymouth, Conn.). When the unofficial renaming took place, Seth Thomas Clock Co. changed the names on its movements and labels, though, of course, they continued to use the earlier stock.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Seth Thomas Parlor clock identification and opinion (By: Steven Thornberry)

Here is the label showing Thomaston. The corner printer's mark is long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Thornberry View Post
    The year 1874 indicates the year of the catalogue from which Tran took the illustration. The same model could have been offered a few years either side. Judging from your movement, which shows Plymouth, Conn., yours could be earlier. It would be good to see what is on the label.

In 1865, the town of Plymouth Hollow was unofficially renamed Thomaston in honor of Seth Thomas. The town was officially renamed Thomaston in 1875 and became incorporated in its own right (it was previously part of Plymouth, Conn.). When the unofficial renaming took place, Seth Thomas Clock Co. changed the names on its movements and labels, though, of course, they continued to use the earlier stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STwght6.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	273.3 KB 
ID:	336706  

We've seen a number of such combinations, Plymouth on movement, Thomaston on label. I've also seen 1874 used as an estimated date for such clocks, in the absence of other definite information on dating. However, yours does appear in the 1874 catalogue. There is no way of knowing for sure, since much depends on how quickly "Plymouth/Plymouth Hollow" stocks were used up, but possibly yours could be late 1860's.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Seth Thomas Parlor clock identification and opinion (By: Steven Thornberry)

Thanks so much

I am now sure the tablet glass is a replacement - no wavy areas or inclusions - and the image is a combination of a rub on gold border with a hand painted beehive in the center. The beehives were used at the time, so it is likely close to what was there.

The first turning wood pulley on the time side has been relocated at least once, maybe twice, and needs replaced. I know it would not be original specs, but is there a better way to mount these wood rollers - especially with the softer woods available today - than to simply have a steel rod through the center of the wood? Other than usual burnishing, is there a treatment that can be added to harden the wood inside the hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Thornberry View Post
    We've seen a number of such combinations, Plymouth on movement, Thomaston on label. I've also seen 1874 used as an estimated date for such clocks, in the absence of other definite information on dating. However, yours does appear in the 1874 catalogue. There is no way of knowing for sure, since much depends on how quickly "Plymouth/Plymouth Hollow" stocks were used up, but possibly yours could be late 1860's.