Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Antique German Cuckoo clock ID please

Can someone ID the logo on this rear plate of an antique / vintage Cuckoo clock?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1140270.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	336587 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1140269.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	336588
    Matthias in B.C.

inhoffclocks.com
    -------------------

Default Re: Antique German Cuckoo clock ID please (By: matthiasi)

I feel sure I've seen this SE logo before but at the moment I can't remember where. I'll keep looking.

JTD

Default Re: Antique German Cuckoo clock ID please

Similar, but only that, to the logo of Erhard-Robert Schlenker, early 20th century, who did make cuckoos.

We have seen it before, here.
    Last edited by Steven Thornberry; 03-16-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Antique German Cuckoo clock ID please (By: Steven Thornberry)

If you could keep looking I'd appreciate it. I have never run across it before. I'm thinking late 1900's to early, pre WW1, looking at the clock.
    The single clicks on both ratchet wheels have worn down "to the bone", so to speak. The ratchet wheels have "square" notches for the clicks. Looks like I'll have to fabricate these, as the early Regula & Herr clicks are the incorrect size.
    Matthias in B.C.

inhoffclocks.com
    -------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Thornberry View Post
    Similar, but only that, to the logo of Erhard-Robert Schlenker, early 20th century, who did make cuckoos.

We have seen it before, here.
    Thanks Steven, I knew it had been here before. My thoughts also turned immediately to one of the Schlenkers, but I feel somehow a bit unconvinced. Why did they not (apparently) link this mark with their name in any of their other clocks (that I know of).

I wonder if E-R Sch. may have used this mark just on movements that he bought in? I have absolutely no evidence for this but it might fit the facts (although if he was reluctant to put a 'normal' E-R. Schlenker mark on, why mark it at all?)

But until I or someone can come up with something better, I guess we can say 'probably' E-R. Sch. but I would like to be more certain. But at least he did deal in cuckoos.

JTD

Default Re: Antique German Cuckoo clock ID please (By: JTD)

Quote Originally Posted by JTD View Post
    Thanks Steven, I knew it had been here before. My thoughts also turned immediately to one of the Schlenkers, but I feel somehow a bit unconvinced. Why did they not (apparently) link this mark with their name in any of their other clocks (that I know of).

I wonder if E-R Sch. may have used this mark just on movements that he bought in? I have absolutely no evidence for this but it might fit the facts (although if he was reluctant to put a 'normal' E-R. Schlenker mark on, why mark it at all?)

But until I or someone can come up with something better, I guess we can say 'probably' E-R. Sch. but I would like to be more certain. But at least he did deal in cuckoos.

JTD
    IIRC, other makers used different logos on movements than were used on labels, adverts, etc. So, perhaps here. But, I agree, I would like to be more certain.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Steven- so you believe this to be the Erhard-Robert Schlenker, Logo?
    (Just wanted to double-check, as you used the word 'similar' in your earlier post).

Thanks

PS- I did finde that they used/registered a number of Logo's, however, probably not used on the clocks themselves.
    see http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?sit...ll#sucheMarker
    Matthias in B.C.

inhoffclocks.com
    -------------------

Quote Originally Posted by matthiasi View Post
    Steven- so you believe this to be the Erhard-Robert Schlenker, Logo?
    (Just wanted to double-check, as you used the word 'similar' in your earlier post).

Thanks

PS- I did finde that they used/registered a number of Logo's, however, probably not used on the clocks themselves.
    see http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?sit...ll#sucheMarker
    I believe only that it is possibly Erhard-Robert Schlenker, but I am far from certain.

Thanks Steven
    Matthias in B.C.

inhoffclocks.com
    -------------------

Regula 01, could be as late as 1950 but probably between the wars. Should have 420 gm weights.
    I have a Regula 20 (rack & snail) from 1956, also with 420 gm weights.
    Hard to date a cuckoo without paperwork or clear memories of the original owner. Ball-park is often the best you can do.
    Willie X