Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Rowe Bros Private label Sangamo with 2-tone ribbon pattern

Back in 2007 when answering questions about Rowe Bros Gettymodel Illinois, it was noticed of the 10 recorded to that point all were “lowercost” and “unadjusted”. I am verypleased to show this watch, a Sangamo Rowe Bros. Can anyone tell me if otherhigher end Rowe’s have been noted since 2007.
    16S SN1437114

-Chris Burris

Default Re: Rowe Bros Private label Sangamo with 2-tone ribbon pattern (By: Christopher Burris)

I messed up the pic downloads.
    Here are the scans of the Rowe Bros

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 313 dial.jpg   313 movement.jpg  

Default Re: Rowe Bros Private label Sangamo with 2-tone ribbon pattern (By: Christopher Burris)

That is a real beauty, and the two-tone finish looks to be in great shape. I have not seen other Illinois for Rowe Brothers, but I do have a very fine 21-jewel Swiss movement that they sold. I get the impression that they were generally a quality jeweler.
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Default Re: Rowe Bros Private label Sangamo with 2-tone ribbon pattern (By: Jerry Treiman)

Chris, any clue what the red numerals were printed with? Do you think these were applied by the jeweler so the watch would conform to the Canadian railway standards? Sorry for more questions than answers!
    Brad Maisto, Kentucky Floral Chapter 44 member.

Default Re: Rowe Bros Private label Sangamo with 2-tone ribbon pattern (By: Brad Maisto)

Brad, The numbers are painted or stamped on a finished Illinois dial. The boarders of the numbers are red and the center is a gold color. They are positioned very uniformly in the circle. I’m guessing a Chicago Jeweler might have had a Canadian customer and this would have look very nice when newer. A stencil maybe?

A link to the another Rowe Bros thread
    http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?3...ros#post219943

-Chris Burris

Great looking Sangamo private label! I don't have my Illinois private label notes accessible on this computer, but from memory I don't remember any other Rowe Bros. Illinois private labels that I've seen that have been similarly high grade.
    Fred Hansen
    NAWCC #109682

Default Re: Rowe Bros Private label Sangamo with 2-tone ribbon pattern (By: Fred Hansen)

Nice watch!
    John Cote
    Past President, Indiana Chapter 18 - Membership Chairman, Chapter 149

Default Re: Rowe Bros Private label Sangamo with 2-tone ribbon pattern (By: John Cote)

Just had in for service one of the two Rowe Bros. watches I've dealt. It is a plain 15j Getty but the serial number is sorta close to the subject watch at 1437908. It has a DS dial with Gothic numerals and is signed the same as the SW-Cort