Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sessions Gingerbread Face Replacement

This clock is in for repair. It was mishandled and case damage occurred. It runs well but the face was clearly an after market, unmarked face and pan. I found what I think is a good face that matches up exactly including the screw holes and the owners are happy with the older face that is properly marked.

My question is, when you replace a face on a clock like this with what appears to be a proper period face, what sort of notation do you make on the clock or pan to alert a future owner to the swap? These folks are in their 80s so I suspect the clock will be moving to a new owner in the not too distant future. I plan to make a note of the service date and case repair, but do you specifically note that the face and pan were replaced? The face with the pink tab is how it arrived, the other face would be the replacement.

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Session5.JPG   Sessions1.JPG   Sessions2.JPG   Sessions3.JPG   Sessions4.JPG  

sessions6.JPG  
    The purpose of a discussion is to learn something, not to prove who is right. Dalai Lama

Default Re: Sessions Gingerbread Face Replacement (By: THTanner)

No note ... l like what you are doing but the average person might like it better as it was.
    Willie X

Default Re: Sessions Gingerbread Face Replacement (By: Willie X)

They will keep both faces - the newer one probably taped to the back of the clock. Take off the hands and two screws and swap it back is easy if someone wants to. So I will just document the service and repair and not mention the face swap - thanks as always

Quote Originally Posted by Willie X View Post
    No note ... l like what you are doing but the average person might like it better as it was.
    Willie X
    The purpose of a discussion is to learn something, not to prove who is right. Dalai Lama

I see no reason not to document what you did....and one more minor suggestion: call it a dial
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Sessions Gingerbread Face Replacement (By: shutterbug)

Thanks - dial it is -

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    I see no reason not to document what you did....and one more minor suggestion: call it a dial

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, how did you determine that the dial pan that came with the clock when you received it was not original?
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Sessions Gingerbread Face Replacement (By: Steven Thornberry)

I have no idea about the pan itself, but the dial looks like an unmarked after market copy that are quite available as reproductions. It is not easy to see in the photos, but it is not cut evenly and is not quite centered on the pan. And the edge of the paper is slightly curled up near the III. I suppose it could be an original from something. I assumed that all of these kitchen clocks from Sessions at that time had the Sessions name and Made in USA on them. I could be wrong about that. I am not very good at the history of these details.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Thornberry View Post
    Just to satisfy my own curiosity, how did you determine that the dial pan that came with the clock when you received it was not original?

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Sessions Gingerbread Face Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by THTanner View Post
    I have no idea about the pan itself, but the dial looks like an unmarked after market copy that are quite available as reproductions. It is not easy to see in the photos, but it is not cut evenly and is not quite centered on the pan. And the edge of the paper is slightly curled up near the III. I suppose it could be an original from something. I assumed that all of these kitchen clocks from Sessions at that time had the Sessions name and Made in USA on them. I could be wrong about that. I am not very good at the history of these details.

If this is the dial you are replacing, it does say Sessions, and Made in USA on it.

Or is this your replacement dial??
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Sessions Gingerbread Face Replacement (By: harold bain)

I think he said the one with the pink tab came to him from the owners and the older looking one is what he found to replace the "clean" one.

Default Re: Sessions Gingerbread Face Replacement (By: harold bain)

This is the one I am putting on the clock - I got it on eBay after the owner asked why the dial did not say Sessions. The clean white one with the pink tab is how the clock came to the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    If this is the dial you are replacing, it does say Sessions, and Made in USA on it.

Or is this your replacement dial??

I would put the original looking dial in. The one with the pink paper is a replacement. I don't like replacing faces. The older face keeps more of the antiquity of the clock looking as it should OLD. Plus being a Sessions face is a plus for originality. I won't buy clocks that have the manila colored faces on them< they are replaced. For those of you that don't know this, here is a good example of a replaced face. The one with the pink paper on the top of it in THTanner's post.

THTanner it will look nice when you are done. let use see the results when your finished. Would be nice.
    R&A Sometimes we are retarded and sometimes we are advanced.

Default Re: Sessions Gingerbread Face Replacement (By: R&A)

I was going to say something but SB did it for me. People have faces and clocks have dials.

Default Re: Sessions Gingerbread Face Replacement (By: dickstorer)

Quote Originally Posted by dickstorer View Post
    I was going to say something but SB did it for me. People have faces and clocks have dials.
    I think the point was understandable Face or Dial what ever one wants to refer to.
    R&A Sometimes we are retarded and sometimes we are advanced.

Default Re: Sessions Gingerbread Face Replacement (By: R&A)

But I do appreciate learning the proper nomenclature. I did not grow up in the USA and English was not my first language for a lot of my life. I was born in Texas but grew up in the Amazon jungle of Peru near the border with Brazil. In the 50s and 60s we had electricity sporadically so spring and weight driven clocks were essential. It is when I started working on them, but my early experiences with clocks did not include proper nomenclature, so I always like to hear what is the correct term.

Quote Originally Posted by R&A View Post
    I think the point was understandable Face or Dial what ever one wants to refer to.

I have repaired the three breaks to the top piece of the clock which I am pretty sure is oak. It has a bad warp to it kind of like an S that leaves about a 1/4 inch gap at the top of the case. I have read quite a bit about trying to flatten old oak on these clocks and it sounds rather iffy. This is a very dry climate, so too much moisture is not a problem. It is also a very dusty desert and the home for this clock is in one of the windier areas so a gap in the case will just let too much dust inside.

I am thinking of filling the gap, which is only visible from the side or looking down from the top, with what some call oakum to seal out the dust. The top does not look warped from the front so straightening it is not essential. The oakum would not be a permanent change to the case as it is simply pushed into place to fill the gap after everything is back together.

Any other ideas or any bad experience filling a gap with oakum?

thanks

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sessions3.JPG