Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for info on my Waltham watch (By: musicguy)

It seems likely that your grandfather did not like those old watches with the cover over the dial and had it cased in an open face case. It is still barely possible that a jeweler gave him $20 for the hunter case and swapped the movement, but that seems pretty unlikely.

If you search this site for "sidewinder" you will find lots of discussions on the subject of movements that were designed for hunting cases but ended up in open face cases.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Registered user.

Default Re: Looking for info on my Waltham watch (By: Tom McIntyre)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    It seems likely that your grandfather did not like those old watches with the cover over the dial and had it cased in an open face case. It is still barely possible that a jeweler gave him $20 for the hunter case and swapped the movement, but that seems pretty unlikely.

If you search this site for "sidewinder" you will find lots of discussions on the subject of movements that were designed for hunting cases but ended up in open face cases.
    Thanks Tom,
    I would have to say that the watch is in the configuration that it was when my grandfather got it, but if it was never offered in that configuration,
    then I would be wrong. I wish that my grandfather was still alive so I could ask him about the watch, but he passed away when I was around 4 years old.
    My father never told me anything more about the watch than that it was his dad's. If he was still alive today he would be 124 years old.
    thanks again for the info

Default Re: Looking for info on my Waltham watch (By: flapjack)

Flapjack
    Tom is correct about the watch originally having a hunter case and later being placed in an open face case. Many watch movements were sold separately by the Waltham company and cased at the request of the buyer by the jeweler who sold it. But my experience with Riverside Maximus watches is they were all at least cased with the appropriate style case. Very nice watch!
    Vince

Default Re: Looking for info on my Waltham watch (By: Vince Schweiger)

Excellent watch, I do see signs of screw head marks where another movement has been in that case at one point in time.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for info on my Waltham watch (By: NC Plumber)

Quote Originally Posted by NC Plumber View Post
    Excellent watch, I do see signs of screw head marks where another movement has been in that case at one point in time.
    Could you describe where they are? The picture of the movement expands to very large if you click it three times. I could not spot anything I would think was a screw mark. There are the case assembly roman numerals and there is a little bit of marring around the screw on the right, but I attribute that to normal wear when the movement was removed from the case.

My Dad walked from Detroit to Los Angeles during the depression and we talked a lot about the hard and reckless times so I know people did things they would never tell their children about during that time.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Are we sure this movement would have cased at the factory?
    We all know about movements being sold by catalog, and the buyer and his jeweler helping select a case separately.
    Dave.

Default Re: Looking for info on my Waltham watch (By: NC Plumber)

Ahh I see them now! About 30 degrees clockwise from the existing screws.

Default Re: Looking for info on my Waltham watch

I would believe that most watch movements that were designed for a
    hunter case were originally cased in a hunter case, especially high end
    watches(as has been said a few times already in this thread by very knowledgeable people).
    That being said, watches have a lot of their own history(when they are as old as the OP's watch is),
    I would rather know that your own grandfather made a choice to change the case(for reasons we will never know),
    rather than being replaced by a dealer, jeweler, or hobbyist looking for the
    Gold( or to put their own watch in the case) then throw it up on ebay.
    The watch and current case are very nice, and I wouldn't worry if there are case screw marks
    or not, it's a very nice family heirloom! Enjoy it, make sure you have it serviced,
    wind it once in a while, show your own kids the watch, create some excitement.

RE "The watch was my grandfathers and he passed it on to my father who passed it on to me."
    also, no one knows if your grandfather bought this watch "New", it could have history
    before him.

Enjoy it!

Rob
    Last edited by musicguy; 03-16-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for info on my Waltham watch (By: rolandantrobus)

Quote Originally Posted by rolandantrobus View Post
    Ahh I see them now! About 30 degrees clockwise from the existing screws.
    OK, I can see the mark now near the word Maximus and the pillar screw. I suppose I can also see, but mostly deduce, the one near the foot of the balance cock.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Registered user.

Default Re: Looking for info on my Waltham watch (By: musicguy)

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    I would believe that most watch movements that were designed for a
    hunter case were originally cased in a hunter case, especially high end
    watches(as has been said a few times already in this thread by very knowledgeable people).
    That being said, watches have a lot of their own history(when they are as old as the OP's watch is),
    I would rather know that your own grandfather made a choice to change the case(for reasons we will never know),
    rather than being replaced by a dealer, jeweler, or hobbyist looking for the
    Gold( or to put their own watch in the case) then throw it up on ebay.
    The watch and current case are very nice, and I wouldn't worry if there are case screw marks
    or not, it's a very nice family heirloom! Enjoy it, make sure you have it serviced,
    wind it once in a while, show your own kids the watch, create some excitement.

RE "The watch was my grandfathers and he passed it on to my father who passed it on to me."
    also, no one knows if your grandfather bought this watch "New", it could have history
    before him.

Enjoy it!

Rob
    I remember my dad showing it to me when I was a small child, which was a while ago because I'm going to be 53 years old this year. I show it to my sons once in a while because it will belong to one of them someday. I don't care what it's worth because I would never sell it and I hope that it gets passed down for many generation to come. That means more to me than any amount of money that I could get for it.
    Thanks musicguy, and thanks to everyone else for your thoughts and info on my grandfather's watch

Registered user.

As a side note, it seems to work great, but I rarely wind it, and I have never had it serviced.
    What should I do to make sure that it still works well into the future?
    I am in the Boston area, maybe Tom Mcintyre would know of a place that I should bring it if necessary?
    thanks

Blog Entries

I have Chris Carey at Watertown Watch & Clock on California St, in Newton (very close to Watertown Square) do all of my regular service jobs. He will be at the Chapter 87 meeting next Sunday in Peabody at the Spring Hill Suites on Rt. 1. The meeting lasts from 8:30 to about 11:00.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Registered user.

I have Chris Carey at Watertown Watch & Clock on California St, in Newton (very close to Watertown Square) do all of my regular service jobs. He will be at the Chapter 87 meeting next Sunday in Peabody at the Spring Hill Suites on Rt. 1. The meeting lasts from 8:30 to about 11:00.
    Thank you Tom

Registered user.

I talked with the gentleman at Watertown Watch & Clock and he told me to wind the watch once in a while and that it should be fine, if I don't plan on using it.
    thanks again Tom