Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Chelsea Clock Dial Question

Hi, Does anyone know off the top of their heads how much extra it cost back in the early 20th century to upgrade to a Special or Special Grand dial on a Chelsea Ship's Bell CLock? Also, has anyone ever seen a Special Grand dial with a silvered mid section as opposed to the usual yellow brass decorated mid section? Thanks, SHawn

Default Re: Chelsea Clock Dial Question (By: ShawnHVoils)

Shawn, below from the 1923 Chelsea catalogues. Not much extra charge when ordering back then. Have not recalled seeing a special grand dial in silver. Could be done but would not show properly since the outer chapter usually silver so need to have the contrast between the center and outer dial rings. I have seen the special grand dials in various colors of copper bronze and old bronze and sometimes brass finish. Even with the outer chapter in bronze copper bronze, etc. but the the numerals and hands in silver or gold finish to show contrast. Check Andy Demeter's books for more potential examples.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1337.JPG  

Default Re: Chelsea Clock Dial Question (By: Douglas Romero)

Douglas, Thanks for the reply. I am trying to post a picture of what I was talking about, SHawn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chelsea Special Grand Silvered Center.jpg  

Shawn, interesting well there you go. A nice early base on ball made for retailers Sorley Glascow. Don't see too many silver dial ring with silver special grand chapter also in silver finish. The raised gold numerals set it off nicely. Since there is a sticker on it did you just get it at auction? Have you had the dial off to get the serial number off the movement?

Default Re: Chelsea Clock Dial Question (By: Douglas Romero)

Douglas, Yes it actually came from an auction in Glasgow, Scotland. There are actually two that I got, both base and ball and retailed by Sorley. The other one has the special grand dial with the yellow brass center section and dark numerals. I have to wait about two more weeks to get them shipped over. How cool would it be if they had back to back serial numbers? I can get a picture of the other one if you want to see it. Thanks again for the reply, Shawn

Here is a picture of the other Chelsea Special Grand clock, retailed by Sorley in Glasgow, Scotland, Shawn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chelsea Sorley Special Grand.jpg  

Douglas, Both clocks came today in good condition. The serial numbers on the cases are 92055(Yellow brass center section) and 92109(Silvered center section). The serial numbers are only 54 apart and I would guess date the clocks to around 1912-1913. Thanks again, Shawn