Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.

Default Woman gave a Ridgeway Model 152 "Louise" grandmother clock to me.

Originally delivered to an Arkansas address March 29, 1979
    Clean and in good condition. Has not run since they moved 10 years ago.

Is Louise's movement the same as #304 Diana's "EH"? Wood shaft pendulum looks the same.
    Found the Westminster Chime chain in the base and strung it back on its cogged wheel.
    Is there a stop ring to prevent the chain from running off?

Adjusted the beat and clock is now ticking perfectly evenly.
    Will oil when I have time. WOULD MOBIL1 FULL SYNTHETIC AUTOMOTIVE OIL WORK?

Chime rods are not being evenly struck and a few are vibrating against each other.
    Are they carefully bent to not touch or are the chime block screws turned?

Should the brass name plate be heated with a hair dryer to remove withe least damage to the finish?

Thank you.

(Will photo and try to post the Ridgeway color pamphlet showing their many clocks.)
    My patients' arrhythmias straighten themselves out!!

Default Re: Woman gave a Ridgeway Model 152 "Louise" grandmother clock to me. (By: Robert Gift)

The chime rods are usually adjusted at the factory so they don't hit each other or the case. Rarely, if ever, are the chime rod block's threaded screw holes in perfect alignment. If the rods are bent and clattering against each other, you may have luck just bending them back in line however this can run the risk of the rod going flat and eventually breaking off. Give it a try and see what happens.
    "Experience, Education, & Enjoyment." - Justin A. Olson

Default Re: Woman gave a Ridgeway Model 152 "Louise" grandmother clock to me.

If the clock has been sitting around for a decade, I wouldn't run it at all until you've lubricated it. If there are signs of rust or black deposits around any of the pivots (and the clock has value) I would consider having it serviced. I'm not familiar with these clocks but its movement may be replaceable if it gets too worn out. Recycling a movement with a factory fresh replacement is an option to consider.

I do like Mobil 1 Synthetic, but you'll get a lot of opinions on oil and discussions on it will sometimes generate a lot of friction. There has been so much discussion as a matter of fact that the Message Board Search engine will return too many hits to go through in one evening. Some folks don't use anything other than clock oil on clocks. You can seldom go wrong in doing so. See: http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...a-clock-How-To if you have any questions on how to oil a clock.

Here's a brief article written by Stephen Nelson. He uses quality synthetic motor oil in servicing Vienna Regulators: http://www.snclocks.com/TechnicalInf...inks/i-nsJw325 I would suggest a quality synthetic 0-40 high up in the gear trains and a higher viscosity (10-40) on the main and second wheels.

I've used hair dryers to good effect for removing adhesive from smooth automotive finishes. I imagine that it would work on finished wood but i haven't tried it. If it doesn't come off easily, though, I wouldn't force it. Good luck with the Chime Rods.
    Last edited by Time After Time; 03-15-2017 at 10:48 PM. Reason: link
    "Every Nation gets the Government it deserves." -Joseph Marie de Maistre...
    ...and Bruce Alexander

Registered user.

Default Re: Woman gave a Ridgeway Model 152 "Louise" grandmother clock to me. (By: chimeclockfan)

Thank you. The pendulum and weights, still wrapped in paper in the case behind the chains, may have slid into the rods during moving.
    Will try turning the threaded rod caps. If tight, will deflect the rods just enough to clear. The Westminster B-natural is slightly flat so will tune it.
    Need to find the Dremnel tool to grind the rod end. Filing takes too long.

Registered user.

Default Re: Woman gave a Ridgeway Model 152 "Louise" grandmother clock to me. (By: Time After Time)

Thank you for the links.
    Neatly scratched on the back of movement: 3-89
    Seems I can never get to a clock shop while they are open. Had an opportunity on Monday and they were closed. Another on Friday and that clock shop was closed!
    We use Mobil1 0W-20 in the emergencyehicles, so hopefully that would be better than nothing - better than the Remington firearms REM Oil with teflon.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Woman gave a Ridgeway Model 152 "Louise" grandmother clock to me. (By: Robert Gift)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gift View Post
    Thank you. The pendulum and weights, still wrapped in paper in the case behind the chains, may have slid into the rods during moving.
    Will try turning the threaded rod caps. If tight, will deflect the rods just enough to clear. The Westminster B-natural is slightly flat so will tune it.
    Need to find the Dremnel tool to grind the rod end. Filing takes too long.
    You will need an impact screwdriver to loosen the chime rod screws. Anything else will just frustrate you. If you bend the rods, do it close to the chime block.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Woman gave a Ridgeway Model 152 "Louise" grandmother clock to me. (By: harold bain)

I had pretty good luck Harold, just using a very large heavy duty screwdriver with a bit that fully fit the slot.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Woman gave a Ridgeway Model 152 "Louise" grandmother clock to me. (By: Dave T)

You've been lucky Dave. Usually a screwdriver will just break the slot.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Registered user.

Default Re: Woman gave a Ridgeway Model 152 "Louise" grandmother clock to me. (By: harold bain)

Yes, very tight. Almost gave up on removing it and would tune attached to the block. Did they use Loctite® ?

The rod threads are sometimes "glued" in with hardening grease so they are extra tight fit when fixed into the block. I find superglue is a good alternative when fixing new rods. Other rod threads are tight enough to hold on their own and require no more than just screwing them in as far as they'll go.
    "Experience, Education, & Enjoyment." - Justin A. Olson

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gift View Post
    Thank you for the links.
    Neatly scratched on the back of movement: 3-89
    Seems I can never get to a clock shop while they are open. Had an opportunity on Monday and they were closed. Another on Friday and that clock shop was closed!
    We use Mobil1 0W-20 in the emergencyehicles, so hopefully that would be better than nothing - better than the Remington firearms REM Oil with teflon.
    Pretty low viscosity especially for a Tall Case Movement, in my opinion, but definitely better than nothing. Perhaps even a superior "penetrating' oil for use in a long idle movement. If you go out and purchase some, though, I would get the higher viscosity. You'll have LOTS left over but it's relatively inexpensive compared to most clock oils and it can come in handy around the house.

You obviously have a pretty good ear for pitch. You must wear ear plugs around all those sirens. Enjoy the presence of your Ridgeway. I do love the Tall Cases.
    ...and Bruce Alexander

Default Re: Woman gave a Ridgeway Model 152 "Louise" grandmother clock to me. (By: Time After Time)

As long as by asking for 'penetrating' oil, the OP doesn't end up with WD40. That would be very unfortunate.

JTD

Quote Originally Posted by JTD View Post
    As long as by asking for 'penetrating' oil, the OP doesn't end up with WD40. That would be very unfortunate.

JTD
    Thanks JTD. Yep, we don't want to go there. That would not be good. To be clear, I was referring to the Mobil 1 0W-20 that the OP cited as having on hand. Something about using it in emergency vehicles and it being better than nothing, to which I agreed (although I think that viscosity is a little low for the Grandfather Movements I've seen and worked with)
    ...and Bruce Alexander