Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Study-4-in-5-oklahoma-city-students-cant-read-clocks/

Default Re: Study-4-in-5-oklahoma-city-students-cant-read-clocks/ (By: Ralph)

It's no accident. Check out the book, "The deliberate dumbing down of America", by Charlotte Izerbyt. I may have misspelled her last name.

Robert

Default Re: Study-4-in-5-oklahoma-city-students-cant-read-clocks/ (By: Accutronica)

That does not surprise me
    If people are used to digital clocks/watches they have no need to use analogue
    A few years ago I was in a hotel in Norfolk UK
    There was a young woman there who could do any job going in the hotel
    She did not have clue how to wind the mechanical clock in the lounge

Default Re: Study-4-in-5-oklahoma-city-students-cant-read-clocks/ (By: Les harland)

Some don't even read which way to fit a battery.

Default Re: Study-4-in-5-oklahoma-city-students-cant-read-clocks/ (By: roughbarked)

They can't read clocks but they're probably good at reading gossip on Facebook. Priorities!
    "Experience, Education, & Enjoyment." - Justin A. Olson

Default Re: Study-4-in-5-oklahoma-city-students-cant-read-clocks/ (By: chimeclockfan)

Quote Originally Posted by chimeclockfan View Post
    They can't read clocks but they're probably good at reading gossip on Facebook. Priorities!
    lol! Yeah, Facebook - where spelling, sentence structure, punctuation, and common sense is not needed or desired...

Robert

Default Re: Study-4-in-5-oklahoma-city-students-cant-read-clocks/ (By: Accutronica)

I was taking the ACT last year and a kid had forgotten a watch, so he asked to borrow one of the moderator's watches. It didn't help him though because it was an analog watch and he couldn't read it. I was surprised at that. I suppose I shouldn't be considering there are so many digital clocks and watches around.

Default Re: Study-4-in-5-oklahoma-city-students-cant-read-clocks/ (By: watchtinker)

Quote Originally Posted by watchtinker View Post
    I was taking the ACT last year and a kid had forgotten a watch, so he asked to borrow one of the moderator's watches. It didn't help him though because it was an analog watch and he couldn't read it. I was surprised at that. I suppose I shouldn't be considering there are so many digital clocks and watches around.
    They are graduating kids that don't even know their multiplication tables. Many of them are the most ignorant people I have ever seen.

Robert

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Accutronica View Post
    They are graduating kids that don't even know their multiplication tables. Many of them are the most ignorant people I have ever seen.

Robert
    I suppose they have all been captured by Facebook and Twitter, and won't have a clue when they get hit by that car they should have seen coming at them
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

Default Re: Study-4-in-5-oklahoma-city-students-cant-read-clocks/ (By: harold bain)

And they don't know how to crank start a car or put a saddle on a horse. But they can run rings around us all when it comes to communicating on social media platforms. I don't find that strange because they are learning what they need, not what we (who won't be around that much long ) think they need to know. If we can't keep up with them, we shouldn't expect them to keep up with us. Just saying
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

Default Re: Study-4-in-5-oklahoma-city-students-cant-read-clocks/

It's more of a trend than it's dumb kids. We have clocks in every room of our house,
    and I have given my sons pocket watches, and quartz wrist watches.
    One son reads clocks(and loves them), the other really doesn't want to. He has
    digital clocks on his phone, laptop, on all our cable
    boxes, even our stove and microwave. So, he doesn't care about reading a clock.
    Yes he does well in math and science, and is in college.
    To him, he thinks the best way to read time is digital.

Rob

Default Re: Study-4-in-5-oklahoma-city-students-cant-read-clocks/

Once upon a time, teachers had to incorporate "reading a clock" into the school syllabus, from the age of 5 onwards, because it was a necessary skill. And it occupied a significant amount of valuable teaching time, because it was quite a difficult visual skill to acquire ... not at all helped by the duodecimal system that was (and still is!) used.

So why on earth would we want that kept in the syllabus? I really don't want kids to waste time learning how to read devices that they will rarely see any more, except on a few antique tower clocks.

I don't want them to stop learning basic arithmetic - I think that is even more important now than it was 50 years ago, because total reliance on computers is a very dangerous thing. Arithmetic is a life skill, whereas reading analogue clocks is not.
    Martin Rosen

Default Re: Study-4-in-5-oklahoma-city-students-cant-read-clocks/ (By: MartyR)

We still have a requirement to be able to use analogue instruments in science curriculum at school. I give them analogue meters every so often to work with.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Study-4-in-5-oklahoma-city-students-cant-read-clocks/ (By: musicguy)

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    It's more of a trend than it's dumb kids. We have clocks in every room of our house,
    and I have given my sons pocket watches, and quartz wrist watches.
    One son reads clocks(and loves them), the other really doesn't want to. He has
    digital clocks on his phone, laptop, on all our cable
    boxes, even our stove and microwave. So, he doesn't care about reading a clock.
    Yes he does well in math and science, and is in college.
    To him, he thinks the best way to read time is digital.

Rob
    Just google "American college entrance exam 2016" & "American college entrance exam 1901", and compare them...

Robert

Default Re: Study-4-in-5-oklahoma-city-students-cant-read-clocks/ (By: novicetimekeeper)

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    We still have a requirement to be able to use analogue instruments in science curriculum at school. I give them analogue meters every so often to work with.
    And quite right too, Nick, but when all those analogue displays have converted to digital, you will have one less topic to distract you from teaching them science
    Martin Rosen