Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pendulum Wobble

Default Re: Pendulum Wobble (By: shutterbug)

Yes, can we see a picture. Generally one would expect the pendulum to hook onto a straight pin. If it hangs on a tapered pin perhaps only one supported at one point rather than across the length of the pin?

RC

Default Re: Pendulum Wobble (By: R. Croswell)

Quote Originally Posted by R. Croswell View Post
    Yes, can we see a picture. Generally one would expect the pendulum to hook onto a straight pin. If it hangs on a tapered pin perhaps only one supported at one point rather than across the length of the pin?
    RC

clockman230 -

so far 2000+ words on the subject... including a couple of requests for pictures that would really help inform the discussion.

i see ads on craigslist where the ad says 'clock for sale... wood'... with no photos... uh huh.

do you not have a mobile phone you can use to take some photos or videos?

these guys have sharp eyes... just sayin'/suggesting.

smike
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...

Default Re: Pendulum Wobble (By: clockman230@comcast.net)

CM,
    Nothing should be "tight". The top of the suspension should be snug in its chops but free to move easily. Everything else should have plenty of freedom to move about. I often take the the complete pendulum assembly out and sight down it from the top. Everything should be as straight as an arrow. Also support the assembly at the hook, this will often show you that the joining point is not supported evenly. (I think this is what RC just mentioned). Often you will see a inward ot outward bow in the rod or stick. This alone can cause dishing.
    When I have one that refuses to do right, I often shorten the suspension spring a bit and lengthen the rating adjustment a like amount. This has somewhere around a 50:50 sucess rate.
    Willie X