Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.



Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    28

    Default Brocot Escapement - Need Opinions

    So I have an Ansonia Crystal regulator I rebuilt the movement on about 6 months ago. I completely overhauled it, bushings, polished the pivots, etc. I installed one new jewel that was missing and verified the escapement dimensions were correct. It ran okay, but you could definitely see it was low on power. It would occasionally stop; I went through the whole movement again with no issues found. I have always read that you should never oil a jeweled Brocot, so naturally, I didn't. After monkeying with this thing on and off over several months, I finally decided before I tear it down again, let me try a tiny amount of oil on the escapement pallets. Wouldn't you know it; it is running amazingly well with twice the amount of pendulum swing that it had. The drops look much more snappy. So, what is everyone's opinion on this? I have heard arguments both ways. Oil or no oil?

  2. #2
    Registered user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    sydney Australia
    Posts
    1,747

    Default Re: Brocot Escapement - Need Opinions (By: djstucker)

    With the exception of a Daniels watch escapement you always oil or lubricate the escapement, I use an escapement grease 9415 which works really well, stays put doesn't run away like oil can.

    I have no idea why people think just because the pallets are jewelled you don't need oil, watch escapements have jewelled pallets, it they are not lubricated the watch will run for a while but will give a bad action and eventually will stop.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: Brocot Escapement - Need Opinions (By: djstucker)

    I'm with you. Friction is friction. Even though the jewel is very smooth, you still have two surfaces sliding across each other, and when there is not a whole lot of torque (as there is not at the end of the train) it doesn't take much friction to slow/stop the action. I'm convinced I should lube them from now on.

  4. #4
    Registered user. Kevin W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    19,804
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Brocot Escapement - Need Opinions (By: djstucker)

    Interesting thread, i would have thought of not lubing them. I have found with watches, some run better with a dab on the pallet faces and some do not run better.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

  5. #5
    Registered user. roughbarked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Western NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,030

    Default Re: Brocot Escapement - Need Opinions (By: Kevin W.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W. View Post
    Interesting thread, i would have thought of not lubing them. I have found with watches, some run better with a dab on the pallet faces and some do not run better.
    I was taught to oil both faces of each pallet stone and not oil the pivots.
    Mostly, a stopped watch will attempt to run or start going, if a dab of oil is put on the pallets.

    I've never seen any watch or clock run better without oiled pallet faces.

  6. #6
    Registered user. kinsler33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    303

    Default Re: Brocot Escapement - Need Opinions (By: roughbarked)

    Including dead-beat escapements? I thought oil was verboten on those.

    Hmmm.

    Mark Kinsler
    512 East Mulberry Street; Lancaster, Ohio USA 740-503-1973; kinsler33@gmail.com
    That's me holding Webster the cat.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    1,724

    Default Re: Brocot Escapement - Need Opinions (By: djstucker)

    Quote Originally Posted by djstucker View Post
    So I have an Ansonia Crystal regulator I rebuilt the movement on about 6 months ago. I completely overhauled it, bushings, polished the pivots, etc. I installed one new jewel that was missing and verified the escapement dimensions were correct. It ran okay, but you could definitely see it was low on power. It would occasionally stop; I went through the whole movement again with no issues found. I have always read that you should never oil a jeweled Brocot, so naturally, I didn't. After monkeying with this thing on and off over several months, I finally decided before I tear it down again, let me try a tiny amount of oil on the escapement pallets. Wouldn't you know it; it is running amazingly well with twice the amount of pendulum swing that it had. The drops look much more snappy. So, what is everyone's opinion on this? I have heard arguments both ways. Oil or no oil?
    Its all about removing friction. If one part slides on another part, the assembly will benefit from or may require lubrication. However, lubrication can create friction itself under the right conditions. For example, in a watch where very little power is supplied, lubrication that is to heavy or to thick of viscosity, will increase resistance to the point the movement may not run. The manufacturer of the movement and manufacturer of the lubrication will have the most experience with this issue and their recommendations should be followed for best results.

    On common clock movements with steel verges, they should also be returned to original condition for proper operation that includes sharp release edges for maximum impulse strength. Personally, I grind all steel surfaces as originally done by the manufacturer to restore proper operation.

    Jerry Kieffer

  8. #8
    Registered user. roughbarked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Western NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,030

    Default Re: Brocot Escapement - Need Opinions (By: Jerry Kieffer)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kieffer View Post
    Its all about removing friction. If one part slides on another part, the assembly will benefit from or may require lubrication. However, lubrication can create friction itself under the right conditions. For example, in a watch where very little power is supplied, lubrication that is to heavy or to thick of viscosity, will increase resistance to the point the movement may not run. The manufacturer of the movement and manufacturer of the lubrication will have the most experience with this issue and their recommendations should be followed for best results.

    On common clock movements with steel verges, they should also be returned to original condition for proper operation that includes sharp release edges for maximum impulse strength. Personally, I grind all steel surfaces as originally done by the manufacturer to restore proper operation.

    Jerry Kieffer
    Yes. All this information is sound. The correct lubricant is important. It is wise to examine the pallet faces and return them to original condition as part of every service.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    28

    Default Re: Brocot Escapement - Need Opinions (By: djstucker)

    Thank you all for confirming.
    I battled this problem for months that turned out to be the fact that the escapement was not oiled. And yes, absolutely agree with making sure the pallet faces are maintained.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Brocot Escapement - Need Opinions (By: djstucker)

    I have two S. Thomas 68 movements… deadbeat escapements and jeweled pallets. They both run way happier with a hint of oil on the pallets.
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...

Similar Threads

  1. Platform escapement needed
    By TEACLOCKS in forum Clock Repair
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 03:28 PM
  2. Platform escapement needed
    By TEACLOCKS in forum Clock Repair
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 02:46 PM
  3. BROCOT ESCAPEMENT
    By bob n in forum Clock Repair
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-30-2006, 04:43 AM
  4. Brocot escapement
    By Ken M. in forum Clock Repair
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-05-2005, 01:31 AM
  5. Ansonia Brocot Escapement Rubies
    By mlschlot in forum Clock Repair
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 10:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •