Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Which Radio-Controlled Quartz Fit-Up is Best?

Good evening, all!

I may need to install a bunch of quartz fit-up movements in former Hahl pneumatic clocks in a public building (The Hahl system is almost certainly irreparable). Would like to use radio-controlled movements so that they won't have to reset time in the spring and fall, and so that they'll stay accurate. (Some of these clocks require tall ladders to reach, so nobody wants to have to get up there any more often than absolutely necessary.)

Any ideas on what's the best radio-controlled quartz fit-up? Need something reliable, ideally with long battery life. Fortunately, none of these clocks uses a second hand, so no worries about that. And, largest hands are no more than about 12 inches long, so although high torque might be desirable, we can probably balance the hands to help the torque situation as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Default Re: Which Radio-Controlled Quartz Fit-Up is Best? (By: Tim Orr)

Attention Moderator: It has been suggested to me that this post might attract more response if it were in a more general category. Would you agree to move it there, or should we leave it where it is?

Thanks!

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Which Radio-Controlled Quartz Fit-Up is Best?

I doubt it would attract any more response in any other forum, Tim. There is a fellow who advertises in the bulletin looking for these clocks. He might be able to help you resurrect these clocks. Look for Larry Kruzel. I would like to think anything is repairable by the right person.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Here is one source for battery radio movements. This company sells commercial master clock systems and parts. They also sell a battery booster pack. Nice for hard to reach clocks. Lets you go several years between battery changes.

I've purchased master clocks and various replacement movements from them. I've never had any problems.

http://www.american-time.com/

Default Re: Which Radio-Controlled Quartz Fit-Up is Best? (By: lmester)

Good evening, Luke!

Thanks! I'll look at their stuff.

The Hahl system is very unlikely to be brought back for our project. Several of the Hahl clocks have been removed and cannot any longer be found. The facility reports that the pneumatic lines were cut during construction many years ago, and they don't want to try to find and repair them. Plus, this is a working courthouse, and the Hahl system is extremely difficult to reset for spring and fall time changes. We can get the master running again – for show – but the feeling is that the secondary clocks need to be something more reliable. Alas, most of what I'm seeing for quartz clocks and radio-controlled clocks looks like pretty cheap plastic stuff. I suppose it may be more reliable than it looks. I like the auxiliary battery packs for extended battery life that American Time offers.

Ironically, in its day, the Hahl system was considered to be MORE reliable than electrical clocks. Batteries and electrical systems were considered by Hahl to be much more unreliable than compressed air.

Best regards!

Tim Orr
    Last edited by Tim Orr; 03-19-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Good luck, Tim. You won't find much that isn't made in China, with at best a 10 year life expectancy.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"