Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Thread: Urgos 32

Default Urgos 32

Did the Urgos 32 movement in 1977 use plated pivots? I am wondering to bush or buy new - it is a family clock. I read the long post on which movements has plated pivots and a list was created. However, at the end of the post I read that only Hermle movements had the plated pivots. Any factual advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: Urgos 32 (By: MuensterMann)

If you don't mind disassembling the movement, you can wipe off each of the pivots and look at them with a loupe. If there's chrome plating flaking off, then it had plated pivots. What I've been doing, heaven help me, is just grinding off the plating and polishing the pivot until it's gleaming and happy. If you've got plated pivots that are deteriorating you'll find substantial elongation of the holes for the first three or four wheels in each train. If so, you can polish the pivot in question and re-bush, or else buy Butterbearings from Mark Butterworth. They work exceptionally well.

M Kinsler
    512 East Mulberry Street; Lancaster, Ohio USA 740-503-1973; kinsler33@gmail.com
    That's me holding Webster the cat.

Default Re: Urgos 32 (By: kinsler33)

Did Urgos make some plated and some not?

Quote Originally Posted by MuensterMann View Post
    Did Urgos make some plated and some not?
    I can't answer that question but would also be interested in knowing if some makers (other than Hermle) used plated pivots that are not failing?

RC

Registered user.

Default Re: Urgos 32 (By: R. Croswell)

I don't think they made plated pivots.
    I bush these movements regularly and have a good track record. Have rebushed movements from 73/74/77/79 within the last month. Escapement wheel is delicate, so watch out there. (Replacement blanks for these have all but dried up).
    I personally like these Urgos better than the Hermle's of the same vintage.
    Matthias in B.C.
    ------------------

Default Re: Urgos 32 (By: matthiasi)

Thanks Matthias, you provide good data points!

Mark Butterworth would know for sure.
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Default Re: Urgos 32 (By: matthiasi)

Quote Originally Posted by matthiasi View Post
    I don't think they made plated pivots.
    I bush these movements regularly and have a good track record. Have rebushed movements from 73/74/77/79 within the last month. Escapement wheel is delicate, so watch out there. (Replacement blanks for these have all but dried up).
    I personally like these Urgos better than the Hermle's of the same vintage.
    My understanding is that all the German manufacturers eventually went to the nickel plating due to rust issues and machining considerations, but Hermle was the first. The rest followed in the 1980's. Regarding the replacement escape wheels for Urgos, we still have some unmounted originals left.