Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered user.

Default Re: How to service this? (By: R. Croswell)

Also check that it is locking on both swings. If it doesn't
    lock it will have hit.
    Again an indication of a power problem.
    Like I said, the pivots on the escapement and the last wheel
    have to be much better than you'd think was fine for a pendulum
    clock.
    If it is locking and still off center then you might bend the lever
    but bending the pins will usually just end in a broken pin. They
    are harden steel and will more likely just snap off.
    Tinker Dwight

Registered user.

Default Re: How to service this? (By: Tinker Dwight)

That L shaped pin was the issue and was slightly bent upwards allowing the fork to hang lower. I tweaked it a bit more and now it's been running for about 14 hours

Default Re: How to service this? (By: Jasons34)

Quote Originally Posted by Jasons34 View Post
    That L shaped pin was the issue and was slightly bent upwards allowing the fork to hang lower. I tweaked it a bit more and now it's been running for about 14 hours
    That's great news, but 'will run or will not run' is a poor indicator of a clock's health. How well is it running? How much total rotation of the balance wheel do you see? How well is it keeping time?

RC

Registered user.

I know that's a poor indication. I don't have it mounted in the case yet because I wanted to make sure it stays running which it is so I can't go by time keeping yet. But I'm pretty confident when I say it's a healthy run. The movement gives off nice solid beat and does not waver at all. The hairspring assembly is rotating super fast so it's hard to tell how many degrees of rotation. But the fact that I can stop it and it will start right back up on its own is a good sign.

If you have an iPhone, it has a slow motion video option that's great for observing balance wheel action
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Registered user.

Default Re: How to service this? (By: shutterbug)

Shutterbug... I take it you own one? I don't though but have an iPad. Anyways the movement is still running. I got the case all cleaned out so if I have time I'll put everything back together if not than tomorrow. But to give you an idea of health the balance wheel is spinning faster and further than it did when I had the occasional stopping. Another question..... on my modern bracket clocks the back door opens so I can start/stop the balance wheel. There is no hole in the back of this case so how exactly would one start the clock if they forgot to wind it?

Registered user.

Usually the beat is a little off to the side so wiggling the key
    and letting it back is often enough.
    If that doesn't work, you just pick the clock u and wiggle it.
    Tinker Dwight

Registered user.

Default Re: How to service this? (By: Tinker Dwight)

I just noticed a dimple on the wheel that I can use as a reference to the rotation. So it stops at the 1 o'clock position and going counter clock wise stops at the 5 o clock position. So is that healthy?

Registered user.

Depends on where it starts. If at 3 o'clock healthy.
    if at 9 o'clock not so healthy.
    270 to 360 degrees is reasonable.
    Tinker Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Jasons34 View Post
    I just noticed a dimple on the wheel that I can use as a reference to the rotation. So it stops at the 1 o'clock position and going counter clock wise stops at the 5 o clock position. So is that healthy?
    Counter clockwise from 1 to 5 is a bit less than 270 but probably in the ok range.........not great but ok. When you fall below 180 (1 counter clockwise to7) you get into the critical zone where it may be unreliable. If you are getting 270 now that's probably about as good as one can expect without taking it down making everything perfect including the balance points and replacing the balance screws is what I think. If it's happy, if it were mine I would run it and enjoy it until it becomes unhappy and then worry about achieving perfection.

To start the clock, in addition to applying and releasing pressure on the key, applying a little forward pressure to the minute hand and sometimes help kick it off.

RC

Registered user.

So I've been monitoring it comparing it to another clock that is very active. I had the regulating lever in the middle and after about 12 hours it was behind so I moved the lever to the far left (fast) just to see if it would run ahead of that other clock. I've had it like this for not quite 24 hours and it's ahead by a bit over a minute. So now at least I know I can dial it in. Now I'm going to let it run just to see how long it will run