Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Bent pivots query

Hi Everyone,
    You may recall that i bent a pivot (by accident or just clumsy!) on the the strike warning wheel on Hermle 1171 - 850.
    I checked out the degree of damage and it was over by at least 60 degrees!
    Anyway I carefully straightened it with a pair of pliers and checked it numerous times from different positions and I think that I have made a pretty good job of straightening it as it looks wobble free when i rotate it the wheel.
    However i just have a query before i get too carried away with my handy work!
    Although everything looks good (and I think satisfactory), is it likely that the pivot upon straightening, may have incurred a stress fracture? I have had the magnifier out in good light and inspected the pivot but cannot see anything obvious. This of course perhaps does not guarantee any weakness that may have been incurred when i straightened it with the pliers!?
    It would be good to hear your views on this. Of course I could buy a new part but if this is okay to reuse then that would be great!
    Thanks as always,
    Simon

Default Re: Bent pivots query (By: NEWOSA65)

Quote Originally Posted by NEWOSA65 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    You may recall that i bent a pivot (by accident or just clumsy!) on the the strike warning wheel on Hermle 1171 - 850.
    I checked out the degree of damage and it was over by at least 60 degrees!
    Anyway I carefully straightened it with a pair of pliers and checked it numerous times from different positions and I think that I have made a pretty good job of straightening it as it looks wobble free when i rotate it the wheel.
    However i just have a query before i get too carried away with my handy work!
    Although everything looks good (and I think satisfactory), is it likely that the pivot upon straightening, may have incurred a stress fracture? I have had the magnifier out in good light and inspected the pivot but cannot see anything obvious. This of course perhaps does not guarantee any weakness that may have been incurred when i straightened it with the pliers!?
    It would be good to hear your views on this. Of course I could buy a new part but if this is okay to reuse then that would be great!
    Thanks as always,
    Simon
    Time will tell unless you have a microsope or methods of testing for structural damage. If the pivot doesn't want to fall off now, there is a chance it may never fall off. I generally anneal them before attempting to straighten although some are made soft enough to bend.

Default Re: Bent pivots query (By: roughbarked)

Thanks for your reply - the pivot seems well fixed on although a pair of pliers bends it very easily! I have used finger pressure against the pivot and as I say it does appear quite strong. The thought of it snapping off doesn't turn me on a great deal but correct me if i am wrong, there's less stress on the pivots on the smaller gears at the top of the movement? The gear in question is the next gear down from the fly on strike side. Cheers, Simon

Default Re: Bent pivots query (By: roughbarked)

Probably the worst issue that you may face is marks left by the pliers, I always use a staking set with a punch that just fits the pivot for this.
    Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

The plating would surely be fractured. How long it would last will be a big "?". If it is a late model movement, in good condition, I would replace the damaged part. If it's a clunker, on it's last leg, let it slide.
    The steel used in Hermle arbors is as soft as steel can get. The longevity of the pivots depends entirely on the thin plating, or the little repivot slugs that have been used on some arbors since about 1988.
    Willie X

Default Re: Bent pivots query (By: Willie X)

I have to ask is this your clock or does it belong to a paying customer? And is the clock apart now of assembled and running? If it were my own clock I would check that the pivot is smooth and run it. Yes there is less force that far up in the train BUT there is more shock load when the warning pin is arrested. If this is a paying customer's clock I would replace the part or re-pivot that arbor.

RC

Default Re: Bent pivots query (By: R. Croswell)

Thanks Willie for info - the movement is like new but my problem is where can I buy the strike warning wheel for an Hermle 1171-850? It may have to be Hermle from what I have seen so far?

RC - yes it is a customer clock (or will be eventually). I never short cut when it comes to selling the clocks on, I always ensure that everything is right to the best of my knowledge. I have sold many hundreds of used floor clocks over the years and never had a come back yet. The only setback i had was when i fitted the new Hermle 0451 in the scottish clock that was over 500 miles away! I never did get to the bottom of that and why it struck continually at 12 midnight and not at 12 noon! Hermle have asked me to return it so that they can check it out and find the problem. Only problem is that I have to pay the shipping fee of £25! Anyway, as mentioned to Willie I will have to try and get a replacement gear now be it new or secondhand. I do not have the equipment to fit a new pivot. Cheers RC

Contact Mark Butterworth and I feel sure he can either provide the part or perhaps he can repivot the part you have.

RC