Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.



Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NYS
    Posts
    118

    Default Hotchkiss and Benedict (Munger)

    My newest acquisition is a Hotchkiss and Benedict with an Asa Munger works. I attended a local “Americana” auction which listed about 35 Federal period American clocks. There were 4 Munger clocks and I came home with one. There were a number of interesting clocks which were tempting but I was saving my strength for a Crane Patent 30 day clock which was late in the auction. Unfortunately, I was the under bidder and lost out to a phone bidder.


    This clock seems to be pretty much original – 3 of the 4 pulleys are the correct cast pewter, eagle pendulum, wallpaper lining, and correct glass knobs on the doors. I believe that the mirror is a replacement and I'm a little puzzled by the absence of the “hand pointer” for the seconds bit. This one has a brass “starburst” for the seconds bit –and I haven't seen another like this. (But then again, I haven't seen that many Mungers, up close.) The veneer is intact but the old varnish has got to go—it really looks dingy.


    The weights didn't come with the clock. I know they should be tall and slender, but I'm not sure what the weight should be. I doubled up a couple of pairs of OG weights and it seems to run and strike OK.
    The works are missing a couple of brass pins on the pillars – they are larger than ones I have in stock so I'll have to order some. (Everything about this works seems to be heavy duty – I suspect Mr. Munger was not in the business of making cheap clocks.) The movement is stamped “No. 1349”
    Ray Rice, waiting for the blizzard, in Rifton
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3110001.jpg   P3110002.jpg   P3110003.jpg   P3110004.jpg   P3110005.jpg  

    P3110006.jpg  

  2. #2
    Registered User Jim Burghart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: Hotchkiss and Benedict (Munger)

    Beautiful clock. I was bidding against you I did manage to get a couple of clocks. Some great and rare pieces there Saturday.

    I have the same clock with a plain splat and no bulls eye carving, a symmetrical winding arbor version, but not in as nice original condition. My understanding is they were made with prison labor at the Auburn prison in Auburn NY. The serial number on mine is very late, 3000 something.

    I will post some pictures tonight of my weight, not original but work, and the seconds hand.

    Here is a great article with info on the company and Asa Munger. http://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1990...75/275_636.pdf
    Last edited by Jim Burghart; 03-13-2017 at 01:27 PM.

  3. #3
    Registered User Jim Burghart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: Hotchkiss and Benedict (Munger) (By: Jim Burghart)

    I was looking closely at your movement, and it looks better made than mine. Heavy brass, but on mine it is clearly hand filed and a bit coarse looking.

    I have seen the star wheel on these clocks before. I try and remember where.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NYS
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Hotchkiss and Benedict (Munger) (By: Jim Burghart)

    Jim, thanks for posting the link to the Munger article--some new information there, for me. Glad to hear you were successful at the auction! I'm suffering from "bidders remorse" -- there were a number of clocks for which I should have bid more aggressively.
    Did you find it a little bit unusual the number of clocks which had the ivory escutcheons removed? I realize that many clocks lose their escutcheons when people misplace a key and then "jimmy" the lock, but it seemed a little odd to me, considering the number of clocks missing the ivory.
    Ray Rice, still awaiting the blizzard, in Rifton

  5. #5

    Default Re: Hotchkiss and Benedict (Munger) (By: Raymond Rice)

    Mr. Rice, I hope you will think long and hard before damaging that good original finish. It will respond well to cleaning and a coat of paste wax, if you feel that you must do something with it. It's exceptionally lovely just the way it is. Thanks.
    NAWCC 25131

  6. #6
    Registered User Jim Burghart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: Hotchkiss and Benedict (Munger) (By: Peter A. Nunes)

    Hi Ray,

    I agree, both the clocks I purchased are missing the ivory, and the weights? It didn't seem like the auction house was that familiar with handling clocks like this? This was my first time buying from them.

    Below are the two I bought. First is a Spencer, Hotchkiss & Co. Salem Bridge and the other is an E. W. Adams, Seneca Falls, NY.

    I also added pictures of my Hotchkiss and Benedict. The serial number is 3015, rather late in production. You can see how the movement is not as well made as the earlier ones.

    The weight is not original, but works well. It weighs 8 pound 6 ounces. The strike weight is 7 pounds 14 ounces.

    Sorry for high jacking you post

    Jim, also waiting for the blizzard, in Berne.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6949.jpg   IMG_6944.jpg   IMG_6945.jpg   IMG_6946.jpg   IMG_6947.jpg  

    IMG_6948.jpg  

  7. #7

    Default Re: Hotchkiss and Benedict (Munger)

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Rice View Post
    My newest acquisition is a Hotchkiss and Benedict with an Asa Munger works. I attended a local “Americana” auction which listed about 35 Federal period American clocks. There were 4 Munger clocks and I came home with one. There were a number of interesting clocks which were tempting but I was saving my strength for a Crane Patent 30 day clock which was late in the auction. Unfortunately, I was the under bidder and lost out to a phone bidder.


    This clock seems to be pretty much original – 3 of the 4 pulleys are the correct cast pewter, eagle pendulum, wallpaper lining, and correct glass knobs on the doors. I believe that the mirror is a replacement and I'm a little puzzled by the absence of the “hand pointer” for the seconds bit. This one has a brass “starburst” for the seconds bit –and I haven't seen another like this. (But then again, I haven't seen that many Mungers, up close.) The veneer is intact but the old varnish has got to go—it really looks dingy.


    The weights didn't come with the clock. I know they should be tall and slender, but I'm not sure what the weight should be. I doubled up a couple of pairs of OG weights and it seems to run and strike OK.
    The works are missing a couple of brass pins on the pillars – they are larger than ones I have in stock so I'll have to order some. (Everything about this works seems to be heavy duty – I suspect Mr. Munger was not in the business of making cheap clocks.) The movement is stamped “No. 1349”
    Ray Rice, waiting for the blizzard, in Rifton
    Very nice, indeed.

    Love the clock you bought.

    That was this past Saturday's Stair Auction.

    Some interesting clocks. Most with some condition issues but worthwhile none the less.

    Yes, please just wax it and don't do anything else to the finish.

    I was the under bidder on this one:

    http://auctions.stairgalleries.com/a...refno=++110186

    Stair got the name wrong. It is a clock by James Collins NOT Coffin.

    This clock sold through the now defunct Bourne's Auctioneers in 1988. I have the catalog somewhere. At that time it was cataloged by none other than Peter Sawyer who sang its praises and called it "possibly unique". It sold for $4,500 at that time.

    I was very tempted to go one more bid...but didn't think it was prudent. I was thinking of buying it for resale (yeah, right) and once I paid the premium, shipping and then for someone to go through it mechanically, I was nervous about the return on the investment.

    I suspect I know who bought it...I'll watch for it at this Summer's NHADA Show in Manchester to see if my hunch is correct.

    RM

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burghart View Post
    Hi Ray,

    I agree, both the clocks I purchased are missing the ivory, and the weights? It didn't seem like the auction house was that familiar with handling clocks like this? This was my first time buying from them.

    Below are the two I bought. First is a Spencer, Hotchkiss & Co. Salem Bridge and the other is an E. W. Adams, Seneca Falls, NY.

    I also added pictures of my Hotchkiss and Benedict. The serial number is 3015, rather late in production. You can see how the movement is not as well made as the earlier ones.

    The weight is not original, but works well. It weighs 8 pound 6 ounces. The strike weight is 7 pounds 14 ounces.

    Sorry for high jacking you post

    Jim, also waiting for the blizzard, in Berne.
    Two more very nice clocks!

    Glad someone had some luck.

    RM

  8. #8
    Registered User Jim Burghart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    126

    Default Re: Hotchkiss and Benedict (Munger) (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

    Ohhhh, I was lusting after the James Collins clock, what a great case.

    The estimates were a bit off.

    I just got word our offices are closed tomorrow. I will be spending the day in the workshop!

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NYS
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Hotchkiss and Benedict (Munger) (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

    RM, the Coffin, New Hampshire, clock was a beauty! A gentleman came late to the auction and only bid on that clock. He was sitting next to me, and when he started to waiver, I encouraged him to continue. (Sorry about that!).
    When I previewed the auction on Friday, two gentlemen were pushing a cart loaded with weights, pendulums, pendulum leaders, etc.,(all unmarked) through the gallery and were attempting to match the parts with the appropriate clocks. I have to believe that there were a lot mismatched parts--and a few left over. (At least they advertised the one I bought as "missing weights".)
    The Coffin clock was a beauty, but at $3750, plus 20% buyers premium, plus shipping, plus any repairs --there wouldn't be much meat left on the bone for resale.
    Jim, I agree with you, the pre-sale estimates were wildly underestimated.
    Ray Rice, my 'office' is always open, even in a blizzard, in Rifton

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NYS
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Hotchkiss and Benedict (Munger)

    Peter, what would you recommend for "cleaning"? Some of the finish has aligatored--I'm open to any suggestions.
    Thanks, Ray Rice
    Last edited by Raymond Rice; 03-13-2017 at 07:27 PM. Reason: dropped a word

  11. #11

    Default Re: Hotchkiss and Benedict (Munger)

    Ray, I use some lanolin based material that is available to the trade, called Wool-wax:

    http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/cata...asp?ictNbr=243.

    I apply it to a piece of flannel, and rub away. It takes off all the dirt, but stops at the shellac. The shellac crazing you describe I find very appealing, like the lines on an elderly person's face. It took decades for them to appear, and with a bit of alcohol and 4-0 steel wool, you can remove that look in five minutes- to me it's like plastic surgery- artificial, and undesirable. It took a long time for the finish to get to look this way, and it is still entirely unmolested. I'd just clean it and leave it be. It's earned it.

    There are other cleaners,too, including citrus based hand cleaners, that restorers use. I am not familiar with those, however.

    I always look to go with a reversible, do-no-harm approach. I try to leave it to future owners to ruin things.
    Last edited by Peter A. Nunes; 03-13-2017 at 09:59 PM.
    NAWCC 25131

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NYS
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Hotchkiss and Benedict (Munger) (By: Peter A. Nunes)

    Peter, I appreciate your advice and counsel! I will give it a try and post the results.
    Ray Rice, snowed in, in Rifton

  13. #13

    Default Re: Hotchkiss and Benedict (Munger)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter A. Nunes View Post
    Ray, I use some lanolin based material that is available to the trade, called Wool-wax:

    http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/cata...asp?ictNbr=243.

    I apply it to a piece of flannel, and rub away. It takes off all the dirt, but stops at the shellac. The shellac crazing you describe I find very appealing, like the lines on an elderly person's face. It took decades for them to appear, and with a bit of alcohol and 4-0 steel wool, you can remove that look in five minutes- to me it's like plastic surgery- artificial, and undesirable. It took a long time for the finish to get to look this way, and it is still entirely unmolested. I'd just clean it and leave it be. It's earned it.

    There are other cleaners,too, including citrus based hand cleaners, that restorers use. I am not familiar with those, however.

    I always look to go with a reversible, do-no-harm approach. I try to leave it to future owners to ruin things.
    Will try it, too.

    I have also used a product called "Spruce it Up"...made right here in W. Townsend, MA.

    Behaves similarly. Have had some very nice results. Helps scratches, stains and surface blemishes blend in, too.

    Cherish those old surfaces!

    RM

Similar Threads

  1. September Sensation- Munger & Benedict "Stovepipe" shelf clock.
    By Peter A. Nunes in forum American Clock & Watch Museum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 09:56 PM
  2. Longines models and serial numbers
    By Dr. Jon in forum Wrist Watches
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 12:05 PM
  3. Cold weather and Clocks?
    By Bryan Prindle in forum Clock Repair
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-18-2007, 12:49 AM
  4. auctions and collectors
    By Jeff Hess in forum Wrist Watches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-24-2002, 12:31 PM
  5. Correction to previous topic: Series 1 and 5 ,16s Howards
    By sabphd in forum American Pocket Watches
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2000, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •