Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Vale & Rotherham pair cased Massey III

I just received this 1831 Massey III with its pair cases having the distinctive mark of Vale & Rotherham registered in Birmingham 7/7/1830. A clean example in good working order - just needing a new crystal. The movement is not signed but it has some indications that it is Coventry finished. I suspect by Vale & Rotherham. The company are known to have been early adopters of the early detached levers including Massey variants. I found this on David Penney's site (here http://www.antiquewatchstore.com/arc...ntry-1826.html)
    "Vale & Rotherham, later becoming Rotherhams, the most important of the Coventry watchmaking firms that goes back to the middle of the 18th century with Samuel Vale who died in 1814. The firm were early manufacturers of the then new detached lever watches, with escapements by Massey, but continued to make verges into the 20th century, as well as being the first in England to take up American watchmaking ideas and tooling - a history that needs to be properly written up."

I note that Ray (Omexa) describes an interesting watch signed by Vale & Rotherham on the barrel plate over a Liverpool finished movement, I was wondering what lever this watch has. - see here http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?120854.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170313 001.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	336183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	336180   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170313 005.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	353.5 KB 
ID:	336184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	336181   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09-2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	336182  

Default Re: Vale & Rotherham pair cased Massey III

Hi John, I will have a look.
    I note that Ray (Omexa) describes an interesting watch signed by Vale & Rotherham on the barrel plate over a Liverpool finished movement, I was wondering what lever this watch has.
    I can't find it at the moment it is in hiding, it probably thinks that I am going to sell it. When I find it I will let you know. Regards Ray
    Last edited by Omexa; 03-13-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Default Re: Vale & Rotherham pair cased Massey III (By: John Matthews)

Massey 3 John. Regards Ray

Default Re: Vale & Rotherham pair cased Massey III (By: Omexa)

Ray - Many thanks for checking. I went back to your original post - an interesting movement which produced some useful contributions. I don't know if you have had chance to dismantle it and check for any marks that might provide clues as to its Liverpool beginnings - beneath the dial perhaps.

John