Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.

Default Waltham 12 s,1924 Colonial, Grade 221 -- Suitable Case

Hi All,

Advice please --having acquired a nice 12s, 21j Waltham Riverside OF movement #28,993,710 I set about finding a suitable case. I acquired a Keystone 10k ,Gf case #97733674. The movement fits but is too is "deep" for the case. The case was advertised and certainly looks to be for a Colonial mechanism.

I was under the impression that the 1924 Colonial was the thinnest 12 s mechanism Waltham made but perhaps I am wrong. What would be he correct case to acquire for this mechanism and what mechanism will fit my Keystone case. Is the Colonial R mechanism thinner?

I like these 12 s watches as they wear well on a leather fob (fixed in the jacket lapel flower button hole) in the top pocket of my jackets. Their light weight but yet easy readability make them ideal for this purpose.

Allan

Default Re: Waltham 12 s,1924 Colonial, Grade 221 -- Suitable Case (By: AllanB)

To house the 221 you need another Waltham model 1924 - any grade, I believe. They are a weird 12-ish size, I have never heard of it being compatible with anything else. From time to time you will see a seller in USA auctioning a non-running example, sometimes reasonably cheaply.
    To me the most interesting "flavour" of model 1924 is the ones with the secometer (rotating seconds dial thing.) A small but not tiny minority of them have this feature. It is most commonly seen on a grade 1235 but I have seen it on other grades too.

Good luck with the Keystone.

Registered user.

Default Re: Waltham 12 s,1924 Colonial, Grade 221 -- Suitable Case (By: topspin)

Topspin,
    Thank you for the advice. I will look for another case for the 1924 Colonial Riverside. Having over spent my budget on a 19j, 1892 Vanguard and another 12 size Riverside (1894 from the third run), neither of which I intended to buy, it may be some time before I can justify any further spend.
    Allan