Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I have face problems

Hello,

I have a Junghans beehive westminster clock that works splendidly until I mount the face - where then it always stops at ~6 minutes before the hour chime. The minute hand moves fine when manually pushed - and the problem dissapears when the face is removed. I suspect that something is catching on the back of the face when the chime goes into warn, but it wouldn't make sense that it always stops before the hour, not during the quarters. The hour strike train is engaged by the chime train, not the time train - so that rules out an issue with strike warning.

I honestly have no idea what magic this is. I'll post pictures later.

I have face problems.
    Last edited by ClockCollector; 03-12-2017 at 12:03 AM.
    Time is the one thing that ticks us all off

Registered user.

Default Re: I have face problems (By: ClockCollector)

Have you tried it with dial on but hands removed? Also you are 110% positive the hands aren't touching anything? Check where they mount to the hour cannon to make sure they aren't rubbing the hole in the dial

Default Re: I have face problems (By: Jasons34)

It would really help to see pictures of this clock. In some of these the movement sits on a seat board held by two thumb nuts under the board. My first thought is perhaps the movement is mounted too far forward. I like Jason's suggestion, try it with the face on and hands off.

RC

Default Re: I have face problems (By: R. Croswell)

Hi,

The movement does sit on a seatboard but it is also secured in place by two iron arms that connect in a triangular formation to the top of the case, similar to the wall clock movements that Junghans made. I'm currently running it with the face on without the hands, so we will see how that goes.

CC

Registered user.

Another thing you could do (if it's even possible is to remove the dial and movement from the case and then mount the dial to the movement and run it. That way you have clear view from all angles without the case blocking you

Default Re: I have face problems (By: Jasons34)

Quote Originally Posted by Jasons34 View Post
    Another thing you could do (if it's even possible is to remove the dial and movement from the case and then mount the dial to the movement and run it. That way you have clear view from all angles without the case blocking you
    In my workshop, I have several types of mounting points so that for various types of clocks they can be mounted in a place where I can comfortably view the working movement from all sides. I mount all clocks this way for testing before putting back in case. Mostly made up myself by copying the baseboard as in the OP's clock and mounting it on a moveable rack.
    This one, I purchased from a supplier.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26978274094_ce9b9d8928_b.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	336250  

Default Re: I have face problems (By: roughbarked)

Hello everyone,

It appears that one of the baseboard screws is missing and the hole seems to be pretty messed up (not the screw that mounts the movement to the baseboard, but the one that holds the baseboard in place to the case). If you remove both screws, the baseboard slides out with the movement for easier maintenance and access. Rough, I like your design for holding the movements - easily customizable for whatever movement you're working on.

Apparently the movement shifts (probably due to vibrations from the trains and the chimes) slightly to the left and then the hour cannon rubs against the hole for the hands, which then stops the clock.

What would be a good fix for the hole?

Quote Originally Posted by ClockCollector View Post
    Hello everyone,

It appears that one of the baseboard screws is missing and the hole seems to be pretty messed up (not the screw that mounts the movement to the baseboard, but the one that holds the baseboard in place to the case). If you remove both screws, the baseboard slides out with the movement for easier maintenance and access. Rough, I like your design for holding the movements - easily customizable for whatever movement you're working on.

Apparently the movement shifts (probably due to vibrations from the trains and the chimes) slightly to the left and then the hour cannon rubs against the hole for the hands, which then stops the clock.

What would be a good fix for the hole?
    If you are speaking of the hole in the wood into which the screw is threaded, a quick fix if it isn't too bad is to drizzle a little thin CA glue (Super Glue) into the hole and allow it to soak into the wood and dry completely. (don't try to fill the hole, just soak the sides of the hole). If that does not work, I suggest drilling out the hole and gluing in a wooden plug and drill a new hole.

RC

Registered user.

The stopping clock. If it doesn't change location when you move the hands
    manually it has to be either the chime warning or something else at the front
    of the clock, like the motion works.
    Also look at screw length. Some times the mounting screw goes through the
    case and messes with the works.
    Tinker Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by R. Croswell View Post
    If you are speaking of the hole in the wood into which the screw is threaded, a quick fix if it isn't too bad is to drizzle a little thin CA glue (Super Glue) into the hole and allow it to soak into the wood and dry completely. (don't try to fill the hole, just soak the sides of the hole). If that does not work, I suggest drilling out the hole and gluing in a wooden plug and drill a new hole.

RC
    I have good results mixing sawdust with wood glue and packing the hole. After it dries you can drill a new hole.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Registered user.

Default Re: I have face problems (By: shutterbug)

Yes shutterbug considering that's what mdf (medium density fiberboard) is made from. You can also use toothpicks and a wood golf tee (if the hole is big enough)

In my workshop, I have several types of mounting points so that for various types of clocks they can be mounted in a place where I can comfortably view the working movement from all sides. I mount all clocks this way for testing before putting back in case. Mostly made up myself by copying the baseboard as in the OP's clock and mounting it on a moveable rack.
    This one, I purchased from a supplier.
    Roughbark could you posts a picture of the comlete mounting rack? It looks cool and I would like to make one like it. Not sure if it just clamps into a vise or what is at the bottom out of the picture. Thanks.

Default Re: I have face problems (By: DN4911)

Quote Originally Posted by DN4911 View Post
    Roughbark could you posts a picture of the comlete mounting rack? It looks cool and I would like to make one like it. Not sure if it just clamps into a vise or what is at the bottom out of the picture. Thanks.
    I'll take a photo later when I get on to work. It is basically like a set of dividers. A single pivot point with a wing nut or any nut so that the arms can move independently and be tightened with one nut. The metal plates on the end are curved to accept the bottom pillars of clocks. It works particularly well with American clocks. It is mounted on a wooden block and a wider flat base.

Well, I've encountered a new problem (I succesfully made a new
    hole for the seatboard screw, thank you all for the suggestions).
    When I mount the face (without even using the nails to securely
    mount it to the face), the clock slowly loses power in the time train
    and then stops. I tested this out by taking the pendulum bob off
    and allowing for the train to run fast. After mounting the face, it takes around 7 seconds before the time train stops and refuses to advance further (the tick-tock decreases in volume until it finally stops). If I take the face off, the clock happily ticks away loudly. It doesn't matter where the hands are set. The chime train warn has no effect on this problem whatsoever, either.

Looking into the hole that the hour cannon comes out of shows that it is free to move and is not rubbing against the face. No other cams on the front of the movement come too close to the back of the face, and those are just for the chime and strike trains. I think I just have bad luck with Junghans (my other Junghans has a premature strike issue that won't go away even though I've tried almost everything besides modifying the movement).

CC

Registered user.

It sounds like something dragging. You can remove the tension on the train
    and wiggle wheels with your finger. One is likely the problem.
    It might be that the weight or the plate is being twisted.
    Tinker Dwight