Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: I have face problems (By: Tinker Dwight)

So the front plate of the movement may be shifting? Wouldn't a wheel that is not functioning properly stop the train regardless of whether or not the face is installed? What type of weight? Sorry, I'm a little confused
    Time is the one thing that ticks us all off

Registered user.

Default Re: I have face problems (By: ClockCollector)

The weight of the movement attached at to the front can be enough.
    If the feet are not straight, it can distort the plates.
    Things like a bent pivot or an out of line bushing or insufficient end
    play. Put it in the condition that it doesn't run and do what I told
    you. Carefully test every wheel.
    I assume you've already looked at all possible places that it can
    drag on a moving part so there isn't much else. Clocks are not
    magical. They either get enough energy to the escapement or don't.
    When they don't it is something that is robbing it.
    Since we don't have the clock or even see the clock, all we can do
    is tell you to be eyes and ears.
    We can't do much more.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: I have face problems (By: Tinker Dwight)

All right, will do. Here's some pictures I took of the movement while it is in the case as well as one with the face installed. I'll get back to you with what I find out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5333.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	286.6 KB 
ID:	336463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5334.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	445.4 KB 
ID:	336464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5337.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	373.6 KB 
ID:	336465  

The image where the hole in the centre is not centred with the hand shafts that should be in the centre, is enough to stop the clock. The hands will bind on the dial and if the dial has been put on tight, it cannot be pushed out of the way. Hence the clock rapidly stops.

Default Re: I have face problems (By: DN4911)

Quote Originally Posted by DN4911 View Post
    Roughbark could you posts a picture of the comlete mounting rack? It looks cool and I would like to make one like it. Not sure if it just clamps into a vise or what is at the bottom out of the picture. Thanks.
    This one sits on the bench or any shelf. I could bolt it down but there is no real need. The weight of the clock keeps it there.

This one takes mantel clock movements etc.

And with a couple of different bits of wood with holes cut in them for the chains or cables I can do everything from wall clocks to grandfather clocks on this.

Cuckoo clocks, I screw to the edge of a shelf.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3157493.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	336466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3157492.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	336467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3157491.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	260.5 KB 
ID:	336468   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3157490.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	336469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3157496.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	336470  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3157497.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	336471  

Quote Originally Posted by ClockCollector View Post
    Well, I've encountered a new problem........... If I take the face off, the clock happily ticks away loudly. It doesn't matter where the hands are set.
    CC
    This would seem to suggest that the problem has to be related in some way to the face or how it is mounted. It might help if we could see some pictures of how the face is attached to the movement. I think Tinker is on the right track - something may be twisting or distorting the movement when the face is attached. Does the face slip into place easily? Is it possible that the face is attached to the case and when the screws that attach the movement are tightened that there is a strain between the movement and the face? You might try loosening all the mounting screws and see if it runs OK.

RC

Default Re: I have face problems (By: R. Croswell)

I'm seeing what roughbarked mentioned. The hour cannon seems to be in contact with the edge of the dial hole, and that will produce enough friction to eventually stop the clock.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: I have face problems (By: shutterbug)

Hey guys,

I just found out something interesting. There are two layers to the face (there's a metal sheet behind the outer face. It looks like someone pressed that sheet so it bent inwards slightly and was pressed against the face. I got a tool and popped it back to where it was supposed to be and am currently testing the clock with the face on. It is running well so far, so perhaps that was the problem. The camera angle made the arbor look like it was touching the outer face, but the inner piece of it was rubbing against the hour cannon.

I'll keep you all posted.

Well, the clock has been running and working fine. However, the clock runs too slow! Even after adjusting the pendulum bob to the highest position, it runs too slow. The suspension spring is in good condition and the pendulum has a wide motion of movement so it's getting enough power. Otherwise, everything else is working fine. Any ideas on this?

Well, the clock has been running and working fine. However, the clock runs too slow! Even after adjusting the pendulum bob to the highest position, it runs too slow. The suspension spring is in good condition and the pendulum has a wide motion of movement so it's getting enough power. Otherwise, everything else is working fine. Any ideas on this?
    Can we see a picture of the back of the movement with the pendulum and weight attached?

Generally, when a clock is running with a healthy swing and is running slow one usually first suspects that the pendulum bob, the leader, and/or the suspension spring may have been replaced with incorrect parts. Some clear pictures of what you have now will help determine a solution. To make the clock run faster the total length of suspension and pendulum assemble will need to be reduced, the amount depending on how slow the clock is running.

Is the time loss consistent? When setting the clock does it seen that the minute hand can be moved with very little pressure? There is always the possibility that the clock is running at the correct rate but something is slipping with the clutch that allows the hands to be set.

RC

Default Re: I have face problems (By: R. Croswell)

I'll get to taking the photos - I'm currently away.

The time loss is consistent, and the minute hand moves very readily when setting it - very little resistance. How would Iadjust the clutch?

I'll take the photos as soon as I arrive back.

..............and the minute hand moves very readily when setting it - very little resistance. How would Iadjust the clutch?
    Depends on the design of the clock. In some cases just tightening the minute hand (pressing in the retaining pin and/or an extra washer). Sometimes the clutch parts are between the plates. Pictures of the center shaft might help.

RC

Default Re: I have face problems

The time loss is consistent, and the minute hand moves very readily when setting it - very little resistance. How would I adjust the clutch?
    I'll bet that's your problem. Yes, pic's of the center shaft please.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: I have face problems (By: shutterbug)

Well, I just made some new spacers for the minute hand arbor, and then made a taper pin with a small head (for easy removal) on my metal lathe. The minute hand is snug now with a little bit of resistance when you move it, which is much better than before where it almost fell due to gravity. I'll get back to you all when I see how it keeps time with the pendulum bob attached. Here's a link to a video of it working (without the bob). I did some closeups of the two parts I made for the minute hand arbor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVatWFMkCWU

Thanks!

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

It sounds like it needs to have the chime wound up, as it is barely running. Also looks like you may need to adjust the hand bushing a small amount as the chime seems to trip after the 15 minute marks by a couple of minutes, but it may just be how you are moving the hand.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"