Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.

Default Newbie has a pocket watch and not much of a clue............

Hello and thank you for allowing me to post to this forum. I'd like to find out more about a ladies pocket watch I purchased at a recent estate auction. The movement does not have the name of a maker that I recognize but does have the name of the Jewelry store on both the movement and face..........Maier and Berkely, Atlanta, Georgia. From my limited research is appears to be a Private Label Elgin movement. The movement is about 1 1/4 inches in diameter and is housed in a Warranted 14K Gold US Assay case. If I'm right, the serial number suggests manufacture around 1900. The Jewelry Company is still in business under the Maier name but has changed hands several times and no longer has records for the pocket watches they sold. The serial number is 8434037. The watch will not run...... Please excuse my use or misuse of any related terms.........this is my first adventure into this world. Thank you in advance for any information that you can provide. dgjjr

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maier pocket watch 2.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	336127Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maier pocket watch face.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	269.0 KB 
ID:	336128

Default Re: Newbie has a pocket watch and not much of a clue............ (By: dgjjr)

You are correct, this is a private label Elgin. Looks to be 6 size. I'd have to check the Elgin S/n list for more info.

Congrats on your find.

Greg

Default Re: Newbie has a pocket watch and not much of a clue............ (By: Greg Frauenhoff)

Your watch is an Elgin 0-size, grade 222 manufactured in 1899.

Here is a Maier and Berkele 16 size Illinois that I have in my collection. Interesting to hear that they are still in business.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Illinois1183013Dial.jpg   Illinois1183013Mvmt.jpg  

Registered user.

Default Re: Newbie has a pocket watch and not much of a clue............ (By: Dave Coatsworth)

Greg and Dave: Wow,,,,,,,,that was quick and thank you for the positive ID. Before today, I thought only Whiskey had Private Labels........live and learn. Is this a quality movement worth repairing? dgjjr

Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie has a pocket watch and not much of a clue............ (By: dgjjr)

Looks like a 7 jewel movement, on the low end of grades, nice find though.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Newbie has a pocket watch and not much of a clue............

Note also that your bezel is missing. These can be replaced, but that would be another expense to put it in proper order.

Registered user.

Default Re: Newbie has a pocket watch and not much of a clue............ (By: Dave Coatsworth)

I kinda suspected it was a lower end movement. I had removed the bezel for the photographs.........I think I have a complete watch..........just don't have any idea how extensive an effort would be required to restore the movement to working condition. dgj

Quote Originally Posted by dgjjr View Post
    I kinda suspected it was a lower end movement. I had removed the bezel for the photographs.........I think I have a complete watch..........just don't have any idea how extensive an effort would be required to restore the movement to working condition. dgj
    Sometimes we purchase for quality. Sometimes we purchase for beauty. Sometimes it is just for special interest, such as a nice private-label (PL) model. With PL watches I don't think it matters if it is just a 7-jewel movement. For the big companies like Elgin or Waltham there are still many replacement parts available. I recently bought a 7-jewel PL Hampden because it was from a jeweler in my home town.
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174