Goal: $300, Received: $215.00 (72%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Marine Chronometer Story - Mercer

Here is a story I originally wrote for the Bulletin that unfortunately won't be published. The story was fully illustrated and if anyone is interested, in a specific photo ,I will try and find the picture and caption that went with it. Some were lost during the lengthy time I was put on hold by "the editor".I thought,well a lot of work was put into the research,and this was the only avenue I had to share this story with anyone interested in marine chronometers,their makers and use at sea.This is a copy and format that was sent to Columbia.

My intention was to write a series of articles on chronometers,their makers and how they were used. They were intended to be read as series of articles starting with the Negus story that was published. As no one else was writing on the subject I thought I take a shot and do these for the chronometer folks and perhaps snag a few new members into our portion of the hobby.

It's my opinion that the marine chronometer was one of the most important instruments ever deleloped that contributed to the expansion of the civilized world and deserved a place of honor in the study of horology.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mercer chronometer.pdf  
    Last edited by burt; 03-11-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Marine Chronometer Story - Mercer (By: burt)

Nice job Burt. If you like we could make this into a published article here (or on our new Message Board), or if you would like to have inputs from others into the story itself, we could make it into an Encyclopedia Article and open the editing to whomever you might recommend in addition to yourself.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Marine Chronometer Story - Mercer (By: Tom McIntyre)

Superb article Burt! Glad to see it make the light of day. I so look forward to reading any article you produce. Many thanks for your persistence!
    Paul

Default Re: Marine Chronometer Story - Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    Nice job Burt. If you like we could make this into a published article here (or on our new Message Board), or if you would like to have inputs from others into the story itself, we could make it into an Encyclopedia Article and open the editing to whomever you might recommend in addition to yourself.
    Tom,

Thank you very much for your comments! Actually I have both in a somewhat improved version. As I'm a bit "sensitive" about editing after my recent experience at the Bulletin, I would prefer placing them anywhere on the board you wish but not in the Encyclopedia. Both of these articles were fully illustrated with some outstanding photos some of which were never published. I have most but all were sent to Columbia and unless canned should be there?

Please allow me to say that my intention was to recruit interest, by writing these stories about marine chronometers and placement of these to that end would be my wish. So wherever you think they would be the most visible I'll stipulate to your decision.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Marine Chronometer Story - Mercer (By: burt)

We will be releasing new Message Board software in the near future and should have much better article publishing capabilities at that time. If you look at the Timely Topics area on this site the articles there an attempt I made to stimulate some interest in story type articles with more formal publishing a few years ago. It never seemed to catch on, so it is currently a neglected child.

One of our big need here is for publication managers who can offer editorial advice to those who need it.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers