Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default 19 jewel Burlington Special

I just received a circa 1909 16 size, 19 jewel, 3 finger bridge, Burlington Special hunting movement, in a Dueber 20 year open face case.

Was this movement ever sold uncased like other watches? I was figuring it was probably a re-case which is fine as I want to put it in a hunter. However there doesn't appear to be any other screw marks on the case that I can see. Hence my question. Could this have been bought uncased then cased by the retailer as other watches were? Or maybe a replacement case for some reason?

Basically, if this is or may well be the original case then it has to stay in it. If not or the chances are real low then I don't mind putting it in a proper hunter case. It was running when it came but no idea when it was last serviced so that will have to be done.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1716.jpg   100_1709.jpg  

Default Re: 19 jewel Burlington Special (By: Mindless)

Mindless,
    I believe all Burlington movements came in a Burlington marked case. But possibly some more knowledgable will chime in. But that's not to say that a purchaser did not pick out a case at time of purchase.
    Bill

Default Re: 19 jewel Burlington Special (By: Bill Manders)

I thought they did too Bill. I don't think I've ever seen a Burlington marked hunting case though. Like you said maybe someone more knowledgeable will respond.

Smile Re: 19 jewel Burlington Special (By: Mindless)

Quote Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
    ... I don't think I've ever seen a Burlington marked hunting case though. ...
    Except (perhaps) for the Sangamo grade Burlington Special watches (1,984,511 - 1,984,610), even the earliest Burlington Special watches, including hunters, came in Burlington-signed cases. These frequently show up on eBay and, in fact, there are several listed there now.

In the earliest years, the most popular Burlington hunting case had bezel/crystal in lieu of a metal cuvette. Nevertheless, these too were Burlington-signed cases.

Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Registered User mikelikeswatches's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a Burlington marked hunting case though.
    Here are some pictures of one: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0188.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	336110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (5).jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	336111

Default Re: 19 jewel Burlington Special (By: mikelikeswatches)

Good to know. Thanks Mike. I've seen a picture of one in the hunter with display back in place of the cuvette. That's what first made me want one of these. The picture I saw though didn't show the signature on the case. Just the movement and front cover.

Love that crescent moon clicker. Burlington Special is on my huntin' list for this summer's travels. SHBKF

Blog Entries

Default Re: 19 jewel Burlington Special (By: SHBKF)

SHBKF, you can get that crescent shaped click on any Illinois Getty style movement.

Default Re: 19 jewel Burlington Special (By: richiec)

Quote Originally Posted by richiec View Post
    SHBKF, you can get that crescent shaped click on any Illinois Getty style movement.
    Thanks for the advice. I continue to learn more & more. I found my first Getty at an antique mall last August. I had previously read a bit about their history but nothing like opening a case & seeing something that says take me home. Started buying pocket watches a little over a year ago. First was a 992B, next a 16s Bunn Special, then things went into a steep learning curve. I have some stories....I realize I should start my own topics but just wanted to say a little.

Here's a description from my database on the Getty:

Illinois, Springfield, Illinois
    movement 1544456
    model 4
    Grade 172 Getty
    estimated year 1902
    total production 38,776
    production years 1896-1913
    16s, 11 j, hunting

SHBKF