Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default hex nut for faceplate on regula cuckoo one day movement

I'm at work and I wanted to order a hex nut that managed to escape from my desk. Anyone know the size I need?

cs

Default Re: hex nut for faceplate on regula cuckoo one day movement (By: Clockrepairforfun)

ebay has brass, steel, or stainless assortment packs in inches or metric. Home Cheapo or Lowes sell small nuts. or your local hardware store.
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss.

Default Re: hex nut for faceplate on regula cuckoo one day movement (By: BLKBEARD)

Quote Originally Posted by BLKBEARD View Post
    ebay has brass, steel, or stainless assortment packs in inches or metric. Home Cheapo or Lowes sell small nuts. or your local hardware store.
    Yeah I went to Lowes. I couldn't find one that fit (I bought their smallest ones). Do you know if the Regula company made them in metric or inch?

cs

Default Re: hex nut for faceplate on regula cuckoo one day movement

Show us a picture of the movement and the remaining nuts. Maybe one of us can help you.
    Last edited by bangster; 03-10-2017 at 11:36 AM.
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Registered user.

Default Re: hex nut for faceplate on regula cuckoo one day movement (By: Clockrepairforfun)

Lowes and Home Depot only sell common sizes. I would look at an Ace Hardware or possibly True Value if there is one in Kent. You can get any nut currently made in any material currently made at McMaster Carr, but you will have to buy 100 and pay shipping.
    Dave Diel

Default Re: hex nut for faceplate on regula cuckoo one day movement (By: dad1891)

Could try Shutterbug' clever trick with the cloth covering the end of the shop vac to capture the old nut. maybe you'll get lucky & suck it up
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss.

Default Re: hex nut for faceplate on regula cuckoo one day movement (By: BLKBEARD)

Quote Originally Posted by BLKBEARD View Post
    Could try Shutterbug' clever trick with the cloth covering the end of the shop vac to capture the old nut. maybe you'll get lucky & suck it up
    Ha! Funny. I remember seeing a comic that showed a watch repairer under his desk. I thought, "Silly." Last night I laughed as I was doing that exact thing.

Registered user.

Clock makers seem to use a lot of odball threads.
    The cuckoo clocks use metric but they may not be standard sizes
    you'll find in the hardware store.
    I'm still looking for a M3.5x?? ( forget the pitch ).
    How many times have you seen a 3.5mm screw I ask you.
    There is a small company in San Jose, Ca called Mister Metric.
    They have helped me in the past but they do have a minimum order.
    If one has a thread cutting lathe and the time to deal with it,
    they should be able to create what ever is needed ( just time spent ).
    One should always be prepared to measure threads. Measuring a
    short male thread is always harder than doing a nut ( with the proper technique ).
    One finds or makes a piece of wood dowel that force fits the thread.
    You use the nut to cut grooves into the dowel. It will, with useable
    accuracy, replicate the threads over a long enough distance to count and measure
    thread per inch or thread per mm.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: hex nut for faceplate on regula cuckoo one day movement (By: Tinker Dwight)

I regularly 'vacuum' my carpet around my bench with a strong magnet. I don't know the size of the Regula nuts but I have a few hundred of them. PM your name and address and I'll mail you some.

Default Re: hex nut for faceplate on regula cuckoo one day movement (By: Chris D)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
    I regularly 'vacuum' my carpet around my bench with a strong magnet. I don't know the size of the Regula nuts but I have a few hundred of them. PM your name and address and I'll mail you some.
    Magnets don't work on brass.

Default Re: hex nut for faceplate on regula cuckoo one day movement (By: MARK A. BUTTERWORTH)

Quote Originally Posted by MARK A. BUTTERWORTH View Post
    funny that. But a strong vacuum cleaner would still get them.

Registered user.

Default Re: hex nut for faceplate on regula cuckoo one day movement (By: roughbarked)

I like to work on a surface material used for billiard tables.
    The old material removed from old tables that have been properly
    maintained are best. These have been vacuumed a lot and relatively
    lint free.
    Parts don't bounce and don't end up on the floor as often.
    Tinker Dwight

Registered user.

Default Re: hex nut for faceplate on regula cuckoo one day movement (By: Tinker Dwight)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Dwight View Post
    I like to work on a surface material used for billiard tables.
    The old material removed from old tables that have been properly
    maintained are best. These have been vacuumed a lot and relatively
    lint free.
    Parts don't bounce and don't end up on the floor as often.
    Tinker Dwight
    THAT makes a lot of sense. Other benefits that you didn't mention is that the green color would be easy on the eyes and small parts would show up well. Now.........where in the heck do I find it?
    Dave Diel

Registered user.

Default Re: hex nut for faceplate on regula cuckoo one day movement (By: dad1891)

Quote Originally Posted by dad1891 View Post
    THAT makes a lot of sense. Other benefits that you didn't mention is that the green color would be easy on the eyes and small parts would show up well. Now.........where in the heck do I find it?
    Most any billiard hall will replace the surfaces every year or so. Just see if you can
    get some before it is sent to the trash. If you want new stuff, any billiard supply
    house has some. Let your fingers do the walking with your favorite search engine.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: hex nut for faceplate on regula cuckoo one day movement (By: MARK A. BUTTERWORTH)

Quote Originally Posted by MARK A. BUTTERWORTH View Post
    That could be taken the wrong way. I'll assume you were just mentioning that 'in case' anyone didn't already know that.