Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Better to have more or less links per foot chain if a perfect match is not available

Question; I have a 50y vintage regula 1 day cuckoo that needs a replacement chain. I count 64 lpf (links per foot) on the 2 shorten chains that are currently on the clock and seem to work but could be replacements and not original . I`ve counted 3 times to make sure.. TimeSaver

part 19613 for a regula 25 -1day is 61 lpf /0.90mm wire diameter and

part 19610 which is not labelled for regula is 66 lpf/0.90 mm wire diameter. Which should I get ? The one labelled for regula but 3-lpf less than what is on the clock or the nonspecific chain which is 2- lpf more than what is on the clock? Which would cause less problems , jamming or having the weights lurch by missing a cog.? The chains on the clock seem to work fine but someone shorted them to 30`` long. so they run for less than 12 hours.

Default Re: Better to have more or less links per foot chain if a perfect match is not avail (By: timepast)

I would think that after 50 years some stretching of the links has occurred. For this I don't think less links per foot is the answer, and would try the 66 link.

The rub is that you won't know how it rides in the sprocket without a sample piece to lay in there.

Someone else may have an answer from past experience or data.

good luck
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss.

Default Re: Better to have more or less links per foot chain if a perfect match is not avail (By: BLKBEARD)

What kind of cuckoo is it?
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Better to have more or less links per foot chain if a perfect match is not avail (By: shutterbug)

It`s a cuckoo and music box movement.

Default Re: Better to have more or less links per foot chain if a perfect match is not avail (By: timepast)

Quote Originally Posted by timepast View Post
    It`s a cuckoo and music box movement.
    There's a lot of those.

Registered user.

Default Re: Better to have more or less links per foot chain if a perfect match is not avail (By: roughbarked)

Both too short and too long a link spacing can cause the chain
    to not go onto the sprocket correctly. This often causes it to
    either jam on the sprocket so the clock stops or just lets
    the chain loose so that it falls to the floor.
    There is always a little slack in the required links per inch but
    that is within limitations.
    If I had to choose one over the other, I'd most likely try the shorter
    chain. If it popped while running then try the longer. Also check with
    Butterworth. He has a lot of experience with cuckoo parts.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Better to have more or less links per foot chain if a perfect match is not avail (By: Tinker Dwight)

A slightly higher link count will be more likely to find a sprocket than one with fewer.
    I was just working on one of these, this weekend where the music box chain and weight had gone missing, put a replacement on it and was jumping just about every other play. Compared the replaced chain to the others and it was only about one link less in a foot. Found one that was about half a link more in a foot and it runs fine. All of the chains seemed to be in decent shape with fully closed loops.
    Living life at eight beats per minute.

Default Re: Better to have more or less links per foot chain if a perfect match is not avail (By: MartinM)

You could use a thin strip of paper to make indention's from the actual sprocket teeth on. That would give you a better idea of what type of chain you need. I don't recall hearing that Regula changed it's chain type from the early years. I would guess that their chain would still work.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.