Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered user.

Default Re: double weight movement (By: novicetimekeeper)

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    oh I see, sorry I was still thinking about the movement. I think he said he had made a dial now, but we haven't seen any pictures yet.

Ah yes, I read it fast and thought he needed a dial.
    I see now it was just a case.
    Tinker Dwight

hi everybody, i am sorry by mistake i posted the wrong pix (one with 2-additional wheels on the Date Wheel) this design i had to cancel as i thought it won't be suitable. please see the pix attached with this message which is the final pix and also the dial. you will notice that i have kept the date wheel 'as is' one with the flag to move the date. this wheel has 60 teeth. the clock strikes every hour. keeps good time. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after restoration (28).jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	336482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20170313_11_49_37_Pro.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	336483
    regards,
    raj

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after restoration (28).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	336484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20170313_11_49_37_Pro.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	336485
    hello everybody, the clock strikes every hour. the pix one which i had posted in the beginning with 2-additional wheels i have discarded and have kept the original date wheel with the 'flag' it has 60 teeth. i have attached the final pictures of the dial and the front part of the movement.
    regards,
    raj

Default Re: double weight movement (By: info@antiquity.in)

Looking good, is the dial engraved, you could silver the chapter rings.

Why 60 teeth? They are usually either 31 or 62 to cover the months with 31 days.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Hi Nick, would you counsel to silver the chapter ring on this occasion? for me it looks wonderful as it is!

Really nice dial, hope someone could help you with some plans to build a period tall case. I think you did a marvelous work with that old movement

Default Re: double weight movement

Quote Originally Posted by ragobo View Post
    Hi Nick, would you counsel to silver the chapter ring on this occasion? for me it looks wonderful as it is!

Really nice dial, hope someone could help you with some plans to build a period tall case. I think you did a marvelous work with that old movement
    I would, yes. I would silver the chapter ring and the two subsidiaries, if the date ring is brass I'd dso that too. It sets off the numerals really well and makes the dial easier to read.

EDIT> BTW as the dial plate is not arched you could make a flat top style with an arched mask and door

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...9-a5fe012540ca

Beautifully done

Quote Originally Posted by info@antiquity.in View Post

hello everybody, the clock strikes every hour. the pix one which i had posted in the beginning with 2-additional wheels i have discarded and have kept the original date wheel with the 'flag' it has 60 teeth. i have attached the final pictures of the dial and the front part of the movement.
    The purpose of a discussion is to learn something, not to prove who is right. Dalai Lama

Default Re: double weight movement (By: THTanner)

You are very correct i am going to make a silver ch.ring and also the date ring in brass. Can you give me some idea of it's age?

You are very correct i am going to make a silver ch.ring and also the date ring in brass. Can you give me some idea of it's age?
    Silvered hopefully not silver. You may find that a better shape to the internal teeth on your date wheel might help, all of mine like that have teeth like shark fins.

We did discuss date earlier, the same design of pillar and plates was used for over a century with little change but the detailing on your wheels suggest earlier in the period rather than later, I think late 18th early 19th century is as close as I could get.

In the beginning all went like an experiment but now when the design is getting finalised i will replace the date wheel with brass and fig. etched on it with sharp teeth.
    regards,
    raj

In the beginning all went like an experiment but now when the design is getting finalised i will replace the date wheel with brass and fig. etched on it with sharp teeth.
    It seems like a very worthwhile experiment, it all looks very good.

thanks
    regards,
    raj