Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default double weight movement

hi, i just got double weight driven very heavy movement. i have restored the movement and also made the dial. now i wanted to make the case- can anyone help me in making and designing the appropriate case? and i would also like to know the approx. mfg. year of this movement. regards/ Raj
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after restoration (40).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	335956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after restoration (32).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	525.1 KB 
ID:	335955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before restoration (9).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	335954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before restoration (5).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	257.8 KB 
ID:	335953  

Default Re: double weight movement (By: info@antiquity.in)

Hi, Raj,

Great restoration job-I'll bet it was a LOT of work! Can't help much here, but if the Phillips screws on the movement are original, it would mean that the movement could not predate the early 1930s. Others will be along with more detailed information. Nice, heavy movement. Should be a reliable timekeeper!

Best,

George Nelson

Blog Entries

Default Re: double weight movement (By: George Nelson)

They are some quite interesting modifications you have made to that movement Raj! That rack is quite unique. What are you driving with all those auxiliary wheels that are drive off the motion works?
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

The screws, I think, are modern replacements. I'm not sure what all the motion work does but the basic movement design is like an English longcase though difficult to date as from the mid 18th century until their demise there wasn't mufch change in style, we normally look at the dial and case if available. some of the detailing suggests earlier rather than later to me.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Hi George, Thanks for your reply. Oh sorry, that 'phillips screws' which you see on the front top of the movement are new replacement my myself during restoration. The last 2-pix are the original movement pix taken before restoration. And the first 2pix are after restoration. Yes, this movement is now under observation and keeping good time.
    Regards,
    Raj

Default Re: double weight movement (By: novicetimekeeper)

Hi, I got only the movement. so i do not have any idea of the dial. in india it is too difficult to find the actual / original design of such old clocks. we have to guess a lot and keep on experimenting. till now the movement is working perfectly OK, except the weights, both the weights descending at different speed. the weight driving the movement descends faster than that of the striking bell.

Quote Originally Posted by info@antiquity.in View Post
    Hi, I got only the movement. so i do not have any idea of the dial. in india it is too difficult to find the actual / original design of such old clocks. we have to guess a lot and keep on experimenting. till now the movement is working perfectly OK, except the weights, both the weights descending at different speed. the weight driving the movement descends faster than that of the striking bell.
    regards/ raj

Thanks, Raj! Glad the clock is running well!

George

Aparently both weights should descend more or less the same amount, at least after 7 days of working. Does it strike only the hours? Some clocks also strike once at the half hour.

Please could you post a pic of the dial you made? I think that would be a hint on what stile of case would suit it best.

Default Re: double weight movement (By: ragobo)

Quote Originally Posted by ragobo View Post
    Aparently both weights should descend more or less the same amount, at least after 7 days of working. Does it strike only the hours? Some clocks also strike once at the half hour.

Please could you post a pic of the dial you made? I think that would be a hint on what stile of case would suit it best.
    yes, over a 24 hour period they should both drop about the same. It looks like an English movement for a longcase, a half hour strike would be rare though I have one so they do exist. If the weights are not descending evenly it does suggest that there is something missing that was there originally.

On the unrestored image the large wheel on the front of the plate has a cog or flag which is not present on the pictures of the restored version. Based on tooth counts - as best I could do from the pictures - I believe the large wheel is a 24 hour wheel to move a calendar dial. This then drives a 12 hour wheel which is then reversed at the very top. This would also have had a flag to turn a Moon dial. If you google calendar Moon dials you will see a few examples of these in Grandfather clocks.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Registered user.

Default Re: double weight movement

If you can find an older moon dial, they will have 118 teeth. That can be driven
    from the 30 tooth wheels.
    If you use a newer dial, the moon wheel will most likely have 59 teeth. You can
    drive that one from same wheel that drives the calendar.
    Of course, if you make your own, you can do 118 teeth.
    Does the movement have a recoil or deadbeat escapement.
    If a deadbeat, that would set a no older than date.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: double weight movement (By: Tinker Dwight)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Dwight View Post
    If you can find an older moon dial, they will have 118 teeth. That can be driven
    from the 30 tooth wheels.
    If you use a newer dial, the moon wheel will most likely have 59 teeth. You can
    drive that one from same wheel that drives the calendar.
    Of course, if you make your own, you can do 118 teeth.
    Does the movement have a recoil or deadbeat escapement.
    If a deadbeat, that would set a no older than date.
    Tinker Dwight

I'm not convinced that all applies if this is an English movement. 59 tooth moons are found on clocks much older than this movement though usually on 30 hour movements. Halifax moons (axe head shaped apertures on square dials) have 59 teeth and are found on 8 day movements.

Deadbeat escapements date back to the beginning of the 18th century in longcase clocks which is likely 100 years before this movement.

Registered user.

I only meant that 59 teeth have become standard on on movements within the last 50 or so years.
    Both have been used for a long time but 118 tooth simplified the number of wheels need.
    Plastic wheels have made the 59 more popular.
    Obviously, both existed earlier. My comment was more related to the purchasing of a dial.
    My statement was directed to the fact that he could use either, not as a dating of the movement.
    You are most likely right about the fact that deadbeat were most likely uses 100 years before this movement
    was made.
    I should have separated the statements.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: double weight movement (By: Tinker Dwight)

oh I see, sorry I was still thinking about the movement. I think he said he had made a dial now, but we haven't seen any pictures yet.