Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Clock Identification (By: JTD)

Your very right JTD. I read it a couple of times, but somehow overlooked that sentence. Guess I was focused on the case. Funny how tunnel vision works, that or need more coffee, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by JTD View Post
    The alarm disk was mentioned by the OP in the first post.

JTD
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss.

Registered user.

Default Re: Clock Identification (By: BLKBEARD)

Hi, I am likewise going to make observations. The movement and possibly the pendulum look old and original. It also looks like and original false face plate attached to the movement. It has a string suspension, but does not look original. The face plate just in style just does not seem that old. I am going to suggest that the case is a modification. Looking at the picture of the back, where you see the movement, you see a lot of modifications, some new wood, especially around the face of the clock and a lot of cuts and modifications on the movement platform. Further down on the back cover it looks like pine. If you really look at the full length picture, use you imagination and picture the case without the side bulbs on the side at the bottom. Now you have what I would say is a fairly common style old case. The side bulbs do appear as if they are made of different wood from the case and added on for "style" I don't see any real function that they would serve. In Bombay style cases the sides actually allow for a greater swing in the pendulum. The door inserts also do not seem to fit with the overall style of the case. Just my observations. Charles
    Last edited by laumeg; 03-11-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: additional information

Default Re: Clock Identification (By: JTD)

There is a couple of folks that made iron full plate movements with brass "bushings" in the past: Mora in Sweden,Northern Germany around Bremen, people from the region of "Bergisches Land" and more southwards up to Hessen/Germany.More pics are needed,but I also have the impression that movement and dial are mid 18th century while the case seems late 19th cent. to me.
    In any case a nice and interesting clock!
    Burkhard
    Gigni de nihilo nihil,et nihil in nihilum posse reverti
    (Persius)

Default Re: Clock Identification (By: Burkhard Rasch)

anyway to get photos of the movement internals? My guess would be wood barrels on the great wheels… but it would be great to see more

I have a Bergisches with a very long fly outside the back plate… Would like to see what's between this guy's plates. note two hammers inside the bell
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...

Default Re: Clock Identification (By: bruce linde)

I too have seen similar movements from the Wuppertal / Duesseldorf / Koeln area...
    Matthias in B.C.

inhoffclocks.com
    -------------------

Default Re: Clock Identification (By: Tinker Dwight)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Dwight View Post
    The French made clocks with this basic shape.
    My vote is French.
    Tinker Dwight
    I still think it's French too.

Default Re: Clock Identification (By: Dave T)

German, especially north German clocks often started as wall clocks with iron plated movements and a wooden "kopf" or head. The kopf was mounted on the wall and consisted of the top portion of a case and not the long bottom portion of a standing clock. A bit like the hooded clock of Britain. In time an owner was able to afford a custom built full case below the kopf. This clock has an especially nice kopf and handsomely engraved dial.

In looking at the photos of the back of the works it seems the kopf portion, including the seat board, is unmodified, while the lower portion of the case was made up at a later point - perhaps by modifying an existing case.

One excellent source of this type of clock is Ian Fowler's website: http://www.historische-zeitmesser.de...ngcase_01.html

There are both English and German versions of the site, although I think the German is a bit more thorough. At the bottom of the article is an email address for Mr. Fowler, who is British - living in Germany, and glad to correspond in English.

Good luck,
    Jim

Default Clock Identification (By: KathyMcP)

Thank you all for your ideas about my clock. There are many differing opinions so it seems to remain a mystery, but I love it. You have been very helpful and I'm going to see if I can get any more information about the previous owner and where it was purchased. If I learn anything interesting I'll let you know.
    Thanks, again.
    Kathy

Default Re: Clock Identification (By: KathyMcP)

This seems to have got separated from the original thread. Was this about the tall case clock with the bulging sides?

If so, maybe a moderator can re-unite your post with its thread.

JTD

Default Re: Clock Identification (By: Jim Duncan)

Thank you all for your ideas about my clock. There are many differing opinions so it seems to remain a mystery, but I love it. You have been very helpful and I'm going to see if I can get any more information about the previous owner and where it was purchased. If I learn anything interesting I'll let you know.
    Thanks, again.
    Kathy