Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clock Identification

Hi, I'm hoping you can give me some information about this clock I bought at an estate sale. The man who cleaned it and got it working said he had never seen a clock like this and thought it dated before the industrial revolution since the movement is iron, not brass and the screws and nuts are hand made. He didn't find any identifying marks on the movement but thought it might be German. I have looked for photos of similar clocks but have not seen one with this "bump out" that lets the pendulum swing wider. It has to be wound daily and there is an alarm in it set by a small dial on the clock face. It is 8 feet tall and the weights are on ropes not chains. I don't know much about clocks, I just thought it was beautiful, so I appreciate any information you can share.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0605.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	296.1 KB 
ID:	335864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0594.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	466.8 KB 
ID:	335862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0601.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	364.1 KB 
ID:	335863

Default Re: Clock Identification (By: KathyMcP)

It is a nice find indeed. Particularly in working condition.

Welcome to the board.

An interesting and unusual clock. Could you post a photograph of the iron movement? That would help to identify the clock more nearly. Not all post-industrial revolution had brass movements - the Morbiere style clocks, for instance, often had many parts of iron.

JTD

Default Re: Clock Identification (By: JTD)

Well, that pendulum could have a larger period than 2 seconds

Registered user.

Default Re: Clock Identification (By: ragobo)

The French made clocks with this basic shape.
    My vote is French.
    Tinker Dwight

Thanks so much for your input. Here is a photo of the movement and a closeup of the bottom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0607.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	423.0 KB 
ID:	335941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0608.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	248.6 KB 
ID:	335942

I posted the photos you requested, and look forward to your ideas.

I've never seen anything like that, movement or case. My guess is early english.
    Willie X

Blog Entries

I think this one might be European. The steel plate movement could mean it is Swedish or Danish. Here is a thread about another longcase that had many of us scratching our heads. Click Here
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

I agree with the idea that this is likely a european movement. I am not at all expert in longcase clocks so if I make just some comments that have occurred to me, please understand that some or all of them may be the result of my ignorance:

1. Something seems strange (to me) about the case. What has happened to the door? It looks as if there has been a newer panel inserted in the front - there even seems to the the outline of what could have been intended as a lenticle (for which there would have been no use, as the pendulum bob shows at the bottom). When you look at the inner side of the door, the beading around the central panel looks quite fresh. Also the front of the hood looks relatively new, with such clean, fresh, crisp carvings on the upper corners. And there seems to be quite a mixture of different woods/veneers used in the whole case.

2. Looking at the photo with the movement which shows the back of the dial, the front plate of the movement looks older that the dial plate, and why is the front plate of the movement such a curious shape? It looks as if it were designed to go into a case with a different shaped aperture and/or dial plate.

I have hesitated to post these thoughts because of my ignorance of such clocks, but would be glad to hear what others think.

JTD
    Last edited by JTD; 03-11-2017 at 05:24 AM.

I found two other examples of Tall Case Clocks with Similar Bulbous Bases. Searching Google images under Bombay Tall Clock. Both are purported to be of Dutch Origin. I only viewed page 1, so other examples are probably on there. Neither example I found appeared to have the pendulum bob all the way down in the bottom.

Is that a fishing weight hanging in photo #1? if so whats it's purpose?..........can I borrow it opening day is just around the corner. Time to get my Tackle in order

why is the small (chapter ring?) around the center shaft oriented different than the main chapter ring? Did it just rotate on it's own, or do you set something by turning it?

Just a couple of observations and questions to enhance my personal knowledge.................Thx
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Clock Identification (By: BLKBEARD)

I would think the small chapter ring is actually an alarm disk. That's why it needs three brass weights.
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

Default Re: Clock Identification (By: leeinv66)

Thanks, I thought about an alarm, but being new to clock repair I haven't seen one on a tall case clock
    Quote Originally Posted by leeinv66 View Post
    I would think the small chapter ring is actually an alarm disk. That's why it needs three brass weights.
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss.

I'm not sure the origin of the movement, it does have that Scandinavian look as Peter suggests.

One thing I am fairy certain of, is that the case appears newer. Perhaps the movement was re-cased later in the late 19th - early 20th century.

Mora clocks had bombe cases, such as this case. Perhaps the case was inspired by an old, original case.
    Last edited by Chris Radano; 03-11-2017 at 08:09 AM.

Default Re: Clock Identification (By: BLKBEARD)

The alarm disk was mentioned by the OP in the first post.

JTD